E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Red Boost Hose about to pop - any upgrade options?

12-29-2012, 04:29 AM   #1
Woody80
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335d Touring

Red Boost Hose about to pop - any upgrade options?

So it looks like my red boost hose is about to go, it's sweating oil and now looks like it has a tear (I'll try and get some pictures later if it stops raining.....).

I've seen from the (numerous) other threads that the hose and seals failing is fairly common but everyone seems to fit the OEM pipe back on, is this the best option or are there aftermarket alternatives i.e. Samco?

Off to the garage in a minute to get it quoted for but thought I'd ask here as my two local BMW garages didn't even seem to know what part I was on about - said I had to bring it in. Took me to find the part number on one of the e90post threads just to get a part price!
      12-29-2012, 05:18 AM   #2
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
Have a read of this thread,loads of info & tips:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...red+boost+hose

Never argue with an idiot on the internet. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2012, 06:52 AM   #3
Woody80
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotcoupe View Post
Have a read of this thread,loads of info & tips:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...red+boost+hose
Had skimmed it before, just read all 14 pages of it!
Seems no one fits anything other than the OEM part then although these seem to fail again anyway?

The other question is will this be covered under a warranty through Warranty Direct? Fingers crossed.....
      12-29-2012, 08:55 AM   #4
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody80 View Post
The other question is will this be covered under a warranty through Warranty Direct? Fingers crossed.....
Worth asking,but from memory it's not officially covered under a BMW warranty,so make sure WD will pay BMW before committing to get it done at a dealer.

Never argue with an idiot on the internet. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2012, 10:08 AM   #5
mistryn
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 335D

See my thread here http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=639210

I have changed mine in the past, I would always reccomend changing the seals first rather than the pipe it self as its expensive.

From memory it is the rubber seals that were modified to make it a tighter fit but from 09 onwards they changed the design of the pipe as well.

IMO something like this I would always reccomend to use genuine part plus I do not think there is aftermarket pipe available unless if you are willing to get creative blue peter style

This is DIY possible if you are handy with spanners as the top airbox comes off, bottom under tray comes off and accessiable.

One thing I would urge for you to look/change is the oil breather pipe as this is possibility one cause for oil pressure build up and leaking around the seals.

Mine was not covered under BMW extended warranty so pretty much doubt WD will cover it but nevertheless see what they say.

The 2 seals are about £9 each and should not take more than 1 hour labour charge. New pipe is about £165
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2012, 10:39 AM   #6
Woody80
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for the replies. Looks like my pipe actually has a rip in the side which makes me think it needs changing.

Is it a fiddly DIY rather than technical? Don't mind doing things myself but get frustrated if I can't get to things!!
      12-29-2012, 12:45 PM   #7
mistryn
Colonel
Rep

The top clip where the pipe attaches to the turbo is fiddly and took me a long time the first time I attempted. See my thread in above link to work out how the clip goes and you will be fine.

If I had to take mine out again it would probably take me 20 mins including taking airbox and under tray off
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2012, 12:47 PM   #8
Woody80
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Ta, I'll probably have a crack myself then if the warranty says no which it sounds like it will!
No special/weird tools needed then?
      12-29-2012, 01:40 PM   #9
philmots
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340i Touring LCI

I sorted mine out.

I didn't see the point in replacing the whole pipe with the newer design as the seals (which are the cause of the problem) are the same in the new pipe as the replacements that are available for the old one.

I had the garage fit my seals for me, for £20 on top of an oil change it wasn't really worth me getting my hands dirty. It improved the drive of my car no end. The throttle response was a lot sharper and the whole car generally seemed happier! I'd really recommend anyone to get it sorted.

If your pipe is actually split though. It will be new pipe time.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2012, 02:07 PM   #10
mistryn
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody80 View Post
Ta, I'll probably have a crack myself then if the warranty says no which it sounds like it will!
No special/weird tools needed then?
No special tools needed - socket set 5mm iirc to remove the bolts off the under tray. 7mm socket to remove 2 bolts of the airbox. flat headed screwdriver to pry off the bottom clip (maybe pliers to help pull it off, but i just used my hands). Top clip you may have to work slighlty blind and use fingers/thumb to push clip up.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2012, 04:48 PM   #11
Woody80
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I'll wait until the garage say no to a warranty claim and then I'll swing by Stratstone in Derby and fetch a hose and have a go myself. By the sound of it ramps are a good idea for access? I've got a set of axle stands so hoping that'll get me close.