E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > e90 pre-LCI Outer Tail Lights

12-14-2015, 11:32 AM   #1
tristancliffe
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2012 F31 320d Sport

e90 pre-LCI Outer Tail Lights

Hi. I have a 2008 Pre-LCI e90 325 UK car, and everything seems to be okay with it. Have had it since February, and it's great.

But the rear lights are not behaving as they should.

With the lights on (auto or manual) only the boot/truck mounted tail lights come on, but not the wing/fender mounted tail lights.

If I turn off the ignition I can use the parking lights, and the outer lights come on, so I know the bulb and local wiring is okay.

No fault codes. Brakes, fog, reversing lights, indicators, numberplate lighting all works fine. No fuses blown, and no wiring faults or other issues at all. I have an FRM2, and I have tried every combination I can think of with the Carly app (and bluetooth adaptor), but have not used NCS-Simple/Expert as it's beyond me at the moment and I wouldn't know what to look for anyway.

Any ideas what I can try/check/change to make it work properly? I've seen other '08 e90s driving around with inner and outer tail lights working, so I know mine isn't right!!

Pictures. One showing "side lights" (with numberplate light working), and the other showing "parking lights".

Many thanks for any bright ideas.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-14-2015, 04:06 PM   #2
matteblue3er
Captain
Rep
Drives: Racecar

I know you said you are not familiar with NCS but defaulting the FRM based on your VO/FA is the easiest thing to do in this situation.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2015, 04:26 PM   #3
tristancliffe
United Kingdom
Rep

Okay. I'll start searching on what that means and how to do it tomorrow. Can't be that hard. I bought a CD of software and some cables specifically for my car, so hopefully I should be be able to get it to work. I'm normally pretty good with computers and gadgets, but rarely with gadgets worth thousands of pounds (and is my transport to work). Gulp.

Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2015, 08:07 AM   #4
tristancliffe
United Kingdom
Rep

I pulled a lot of hair out, and never really managed to make INPA work without errors, but NCS Expert seemed to like talking to the car eventually (once I change daten files). Spent about 6 hours trying to get it to work.

But I did. I reset the FRM, and I have the full compliment of lights at the back, and have put the other stuff (flashers, brake force display, welcome lights etc) how I want them.

So thank you thank you thank you for the suggestion.

Now I'm thinking would other stuff benefit from a reset. And which stuff should I definitely not default under any circumstances. But as everything seems to be working I must resist my urges to experiment.

Thanks again!
Appreciate 0