E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Please Help! Bird droppings/Stain-How to get it off?

01-10-2012, 04:44 PM   #1
RicheyBMW
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 328i

Garage List
2011 BMW 328i  [8.34]
Please Help! Bird droppings/Stain-How to get it off?

I recently inspected my car and on top of my hood theres a tiny size mark that looks like its either a bird dropping stain or something else. I tried to spray it down with water and a slight wipe but it didnt work. It looks like a brownish/rusty hologram surrounded by a clear looking patch haze that cant come off. I don't know if some contamination ate the paint or what, I have a BSM color car.

Any advice? I think I will do a full wash tomorrow but i'm worried that after the wash that mark will still be there (as it looks like it would). How can I get it off? I did some searches and many people said a quick detailer and MF towel wipe or Scratch X, or Optimum No Rinse. I was wondering if i do that should I do it after my car is totally washed and dry? Or am I QDing the spot before my wash or during my wash? I don't want to use a quick detailer and start wiping around on a already dirty surrounding and making any swirls so I want to know do I wash the whole car before doing that.

Last edited by RicheyBMW; 01-10-2012 at 04:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2012, 06:13 PM   #2
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicheyBMW View Post
I recently inspected my car and on top of my hood theres a tiny size mark that looks like its either a bird dropping stain or something else. I tried to spray it down with water and a slight wipe but it didnt work. It looks like a brownish/rusty hologram surrounded by a clear looking patch haze that cant come off. I don't know if some contamination ate the paint or what, I have a BSM color car.

Any advice? I think I will do a full wash tomorrow but i'm worried that after the wash that mark will still be there (as it looks like it would). How can I get it off? I did some searches and many people said a quick detailer and MF towel wipe or Scratch X, or Optimum No Rinse. I was wondering if i do that should I do it after my car is totally washed and dry? Or am I QDing the spot before my wash or during my wash? I don't want to use a quick detailer and start wiping around on a already dirty surrounding and making any swirls so I want to know do I wash the whole car before doing that.
Thank you for the inquiry I'd be happy to help. Wash the area first to remove the larger build ups. The problem with bird droppings is that they are often acidic and they can etch in to the clear coat within minutes. To remove the etchings there are only two options that I know of. The Chemical Guys Water Spot Remover can be used to remove light etchings that are hard to see or feel. The more traditional option is to polish that area, starting from a less aggressive polish moving up to a stronger one as needed. I would suggest starting with medium pressure and a polish like the Meguiar's M205 and move up to the M105 if need be. If that doesn't work you may need the extra power of a buffer to help work those polishes in. With the the help of a buffer you can remove the vast majority of surface imperfections from bird droppings. If you have any other questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Greg @ DI
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2012, 06:25 PM   #3
RicheyBMW
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 328i

Garage List
2011 BMW 328i  [8.34]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Detailed Image View Post
Thank you for the inquiry I'd be happy to help. Wash the area first to remove the larger build ups. The problem with bird droppings is that they are often acidic and they can etch in to the clear coat within minutes. To remove the etchings there are only two options that I know of. The Chemical Guys Water Spot Remover can be used to remove light etchings that are hard to see or feel. The more traditional option is to polish that area, starting from a less aggressive polish moving up to a stronger one as needed. I would suggest starting with medium pressure and a polish like the Meguiar's M205 and move up to the M105 if need be. If that doesn't work you may need the extra power of a buffer to help work those polishes in. With the the help of a buffer you can remove the vast majority of surface imperfections from bird droppings. If you have any other questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Greg @ DI
Okay thanks for the advice! However, I do all of this after the car is washed and dried on a dry clean surface correct? So am i putting the CG water spot remover or Meg M205 on a MF towel or a foam pad applicator? And I only spot treat it correct? Then wipe off? no need to do anything further?
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2012, 03:45 PM   #4
Fuggit
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 BMW 328i xDrive Coupé

Soak that sh!t before you try to remove it! Some bird must have ate something nutty before shitting on my car -- when I tried to wipe it off (in a circular pattern) it cut deep into the Jet Black paint (the paint is notorious for being soft anyway) and now I regretted not using a power washer to do such a simple task. Lesson learned
      05-17-2012, 05:19 AM   #5
TOGWT
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 630i

Excrement Removal

Use the least abrasive product first-

1. Use a paint surface cleaner (Z-PC Fusion Dual Action Paint Cleaner)
2. Try to dissolve the alkaline-based, surface/etched mineral water deposits try one or more of the following;

a) Use a 2:1 or stronger solution of distilled water/distilled white vinegar (Acetic acid)
b) Try a 2:1 solution of distilled water/Isopropyl Alcohol (adjust ratio as required)
c) Or equal parts distilled water/distilled white vinegar/Isopropyl alcohol.

3. Clean the effected surface with Klasse All-In-One or Zaino Z-PC Fusion Dual Action Paint Cleaner
4. Use detailing clay to remove any 'hard' surface granules
5. Use a machine polish (Optimum Polish, Optimum Compound) and a cutting (LC White, Orange or Yellow) foam pad (speed # 4- 5.0) to level the surface
6. For CeramiClear or other hard clear coats substitute Menzerna for machine polish; Super Intensive Polish / Nano Polish (105FF) or Final Finish Polish (106FA)
7. Use the least aggressive polish/foam pad first, if this doesn’t remove the problem step-up to a more aggressive polish / foam pad set-up
8. Wet-sand with 2000, 2500 or 3000 grit finishing paper

“Bird Excrement” - http://www.autopia.org/forum/autopia...llutants.html#
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 08:17 PM   #6
JUSTIN808
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 X4MC, 22 Ridgeline RTLE.

Why does this happen to bmw paint. None of the other brands of cars I have had have this problem.

Is BMW clear coat weak?
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2012, 07:48 AM   #7
zaincarcare
Rep
Drives: Lamborghini

Thanks for sharing this tips. This are really great and useful for removing droppings/stains from your car.
      09-07-2012, 12:10 PM   #8
techy1
Captain
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOGWT View Post
Use the least abrasive product first-

1. Use a paint surface cleaner (Z-PC Fusion Dual Action Paint Cleaner)
2. Try to dissolve the alkaline-based, surface/etched mineral water deposits try one or more of the following;

a) Use a 2:1 or stronger solution of distilled water/distilled white vinegar (Acetic acid)
b) Try a 2:1 solution of distilled water/Isopropyl Alcohol (adjust ratio as required)
c) Or equal parts distilled water/distilled white vinegar/Isopropyl alcohol.

3. Clean the effected surface with Klasse All-In-One or Zaino Z-PC Fusion Dual Action Paint Cleaner
4. Use detailing clay to remove any 'hard' surface granules
5. Use a machine polish (Optimum Polish, Optimum Compound) and a cutting (LC White, Orange or Yellow) foam pad (speed # 4- 5.0) to level the surface
6. For CeramiClear or other hard clear coats substitute Menzerna for machine polish; Super Intensive Polish / Nano Polish (105FF) or Final Finish Polish (106FA)
7. Use the least aggressive polish/foam pad first, if this doesn’t remove the problem step-up to a more aggressive polish / foam pad set-up
8. Wet-sand with 2000, 2500 or 3000 grit finishing paper

“Bird Excrement” - http://www.autopia.org/forum/autopia...llutants.html#
ummmm I'm not a pro or anything but isn't the wet sanding before the polish?
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2012, 12:47 PM   #9
Krells
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by techy1 View Post
ummmm I'm not a pro or anything but isn't the wet sanding before the polish?
The list is of least to most aggressive methods. Number 8 would be when all else fails not as a step after polishing.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2013, 10:53 PM   #10
bimmergrl86
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 328i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RicheyBMW View Post

hey, i'm having the same problem too. did you end up cleaning the stain on your car? if so, what did you use? been hearing qd, clay bar, and a microfiber cloth will do.