E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Photo/Video/Media Gallery > 8 Alarm Fire in Boston, watch where your E92 is parked!

04-13-2014, 04:29 PM   #199
benny335i
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

that would be nice!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinh335 View Post
BMWs going to now add a comfort executive fire access package now for 8,000 on the next 3 series...
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2014, 08:29 AM   #200
Hernandiaz11
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i M-Sport 6-Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkitectonix View Post
Hey everybody, this was my car that was vandalized. You guys on the forum have only heard one side of the story and prematurely have been accusing me of being a douche.

My aunt had come visit my parents from California last weekend, and she has a condition where she cannot walk too far and constantly needs a walker / cane . Being that my parent's home was a few feet from where the hydrant was located, and there were no other parking spaces at that time, I thought I'd park there for a few minutes while I assisted her back home. This took maximum of 5-10 MINUTES. I did not intend to leave my e92 overnight and never imagined a home to catch on fire at that time.

I came back after taking her up a flight of stairs, and upon returning, there were firemen and civilians trying to move my car. I obviously offered to move the car myself, but at that moment a firefighter smashed both my windows as I took my keys out of my pocket! Not knowing what to do at this point, I need to get back home ASAP. I whistled for a cab and when it came near The license plate said fresh and it had dice in the mirror If anything I could say that this cab was rare But I thought, “Nah, forget it. Yo home to Bel-Air!” I pulled up to the house about 7 or 8 And I yelled to the cabby yo holmes smell ya later Looked at my kingdom I was finally there To sit on my throne as the prince of Bel-Air.

hahahaha, I literally started to laugh out loud as I read the last few lines of this post and realized they were lyrics.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2014, 08:53 AM   #201
Sidewinderpb
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i xDrive 6mt

Quote:
Hey everybody, this was my car that was vandalized. You guys on the forum have only heard one side of the story and prematurely have been accusing me of being a douche.

My aunt had come visit my parents from California last weekend, and she has a condition where she cannot walk too far and constantly needs a walker / cane . Being that my parent's home was a few feet from where the hydrant was located, and there were no other parking spaces at that time, I thought I'd park there for a few minutes while I assisted her back home. This took maximum of 5-10 MINUTES. I did not intend to leave my e92 overnight and never imagined a home to catch on fire at that time.

I came back after taking her up a flight of stairs, and upon returning, there were firemen and civilians trying to move my car. I obviously offered to move the car myself, but at that moment a firefighter smashed both my windows as I took my keys out of my pocket! Not knowing what to do at this point, I need to get back home ASAP. I whistled for a cab and when it came near The license plate said fresh and it had dice in the mirror If anything I could say that this cab was rare But I thought, “Nah, forget it. Yo home to Bel-Air!” I pulled up to the house about 7 or 8 And I yelled to the cabby yo holmes smell ya later Looked at my kingdom I was finally there To sit on my throne as the prince of Bel-Air.
Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2014, 12:27 PM   #202
wayman519
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E82 N52 6MT A51

Garage List
2018 BMW X2  [0.00]
2009 128i  [0.00]
Quote:

hahaha +1 Billion

Some bad luck i guess, but that owners BMW deserved the Jaws of life! Those firefighters were super nice considering the circumstances....... they probably liked the car.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2014, 12:31 AM   #203
wantm135i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: x1 35i m sport

So the firefighters, instead of thinking about priority's such as saving lives they wasted time with several guys and saws and vandalize a car so as to get water from a hydrant that was blocked. Time could have been spent more wizely so as to save lives just like you said. The other smarter fire fighters ran hoses to other hydrants. good job. With what ever amount of water they were getting from the hydrant by the bmw its obvious it still wasnt enough. So the house still burns up and a car is vandalized. Good Job?
      04-21-2014, 07:26 PM   #204
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 Crimson 328i

Why not go over the car? Because it's better from the perspective of delivery volume to go straight, and the pressure in the hose will TRY to straighten it. If it starts at a high angle, you run the risk of it flopping all over the place and hurting someone as it settles with huge force. And for that matter, it may well crush panels on the car anyway. Assuming the hose lines up nicely as is often the case with cars parked in front of hydrants, breaking the windows may actually cause significantly less damage: no paint damage and no dented or crushed panels, both of which may be significantly more expensive than replacing two windows. In general, this way is probably even cheaper.

As a sidebar, consider the forces involved, as this isn't your garden hose. Municipal water supplies can often see pressures as high as 80 or 90 PSI, presumably static pressure at a hydrant will typically be on the high end of that. A firefighter earlier in the thread suggested that this hose is a 4.5" - I'll assume that's interior diameter. If that's correct, its cross section is about 16 square inches, which is to say 1440 lbs of distributed pressure on a direct blockage. Further consider that you've got a heavy hose full of heavy water that could be flopping around with this kind of pressure inside it and you're talking about serious energies at play.

Now, in this case, the hose is kinked, which significantly decreases flow rate. Would it have been better to use a smaller hose attached to the side port vs the larger hose with a requisite kink? Probably. Worth the time to go back to the truck and run the smaller hose? probably not.

But the real point is that, because breaking the windows is generally better in an absolute sense in most cases, it's the default protocol. You don't make an informed decision, because executing on that takes too much time. You follow procedure and go from there.

Finally, if I'm a firefighter and someone's parked in front of a hydrant, I am absolutely going to relish the opportunity to fuck that car up. The two things stopping me are a) the possibility of getting sued for damage in excess of protocol, and b) the time it takes to fuck up your car is time I could have been fighting that fire.

By the way: if I ever accidentally park in front of a hydrant that suddenly needs to be used and this happens? I apologize to the fire fighter. At least my house didn't fucking burn down.
      04-28-2014, 08:58 PM   #205
wantm135i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

The simple point is that the house still burned up and a car got vandalized. The firemen need to explain to us - we are paying there salary they work for us the public, don't come with the attitude i will tear up any car in the way - this clearly shows that you or firemen with your thinking are not smart, or clever and are a waste of tax payers money. Your more of a liability than the car was.

The fire men that destroyed the BMW could have stayed home that night and the out come for the house would have still been the same!
      04-28-2014, 09:28 PM   #206
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 Crimson 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantm135i View Post
The simple point is that the house still burned up and a car got vandalized. The firemen need to explain to us - we are paying there salary they work for us the public, don't come with the attitude i will tear up any car in the way - this clearly shows that you or firemen with your thinking are not smart, or clever and are a waste of tax payers money. Your more of a liability than the car was.

The fire men that destroyed the BMW could have stayed home that night and the out come for the house would have still been the same!
Standard operating procedure is SOP for a reason. The reason isn't that it's always the best, the reason is that it's USUALLY the best. In the particular case of firefighters smashing blocking windows, evaluating the decision not to follow standard procedure would simply take more time than it's worth. It's the same reason firemen carry axes in the first place. Finesse isn't worth the time when time is so costly.
      04-29-2014, 09:57 AM   #207
wantm135i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

good point.
      04-29-2014, 01:25 PM   #208
DOMs335D
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 1991 318is; 2017 M2

Garage List
1991 BMW 318is  [0.00]
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
2011 BMW 335is  [0.00]
Serves him right! I hope they gave him a ticket ontop of breaking his car .. just to make it sting a little more
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2015, 07:52 PM   #209
agad
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 18' F32 435d M-Sport Plus

This guy should claim a new F84 replacement from the government!
      08-30-2015, 07:56 PM   #210
wdeerfield
A family of bimmers
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 G01 X3M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by agad
This guy should claim a new F84 replacement from the government!
Because he was parked illegally?
      02-09-2016, 04:11 PM   #211
Gran_tourismo_99
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 09 328i xdrive

It looks like they tried to move it and failed. Personally if I was the Boston Fire Department I would have gently ripped it out from in front of the hydrant using a chain and my 1000HP Cummins Diesel. This guy wins *** of the year.
Appreciate 0