E90Post
 


Extreme Power House
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Porsche cayman



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-19-2011, 12:30 AM   #1
BMWcoupe335ii
Second Lieutenant
14
Rep
267
Posts

 
Drives: 11' 335i coupe
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Cali

iTrader: (0)

Porsche cayman

How fast is stock (base) Porsche cayman. Does it feel fast, like our 335i.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2011, 12:35 AM   #2
MisterSkiMask
Lieutenant Colonel
36
Rep
1,940
Posts

 
Drives: I Can not say
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: you must not know

iTrader: (0)

It has exactly 76.4 units of fast
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2011, 01:20 AM   #3
Robert
Major General
116
Rep
6,902
Posts

 
Drives: 135i, current is350
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Socal

iTrader: (1)

I assume you meant acceleration then answer is no. The 07 cayman s didn't feel nearly as fast as my 135i. Different power delivery, you really have to rev that engine to reach peak power. But I am shopping for one now, different style of driving, less insulation more engine noise, cars feels more mechanical than sheltered BMWs.
__________________
- There's nothing in my pocket other than knives and lint
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2011, 01:46 AM   #4
immiketoo
Colonel
immiketoo's Avatar
71
Rep
2,873
Posts

 
Drives: Smoothly
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Chicago Burbs

iTrader: (0)

And absolutely awesome on the track.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by double eagle View Post
Thickness feels good to me and my hands aren't that big.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2011, 02:21 AM   #5
Turbolader
The Fat Stig
Turbolader's Avatar
4
Rep
274
Posts

 
Drives: 2010 135i
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: 2003 Stg 3+ SRT-4

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
I assume you meant acceleration then answer is no. The 07 cayman s didn't feel nearly as fast as my 135i. Different power delivery, you really have to rev that engine to reach peak power. But I am shopping for one now, different style of driving, less insulation more engine noise, cars feels more mechanical than sheltered BMWs.
Just my $0.02 here, and I'm not trying to be a smart alack, just alerting you in case you didn't know...

Do yourself a huge favor and pay a bit more for a 2010 with the DFI engine.

When I was shopping last year, I almost bought an 06-08 model but I wouldn't touch the M97 engine with a ten foot pole because if the IMS failures. I know the newer M97 had better bearings, but IMHO, it's a band-aid fix that Porsche obviously decided was also bad and thus removed with the DFI engine. I couldn't convince myself to pay the $65k at the time for a CPO Cayman S, so I went with the 135, for almost exactly half the price. I still love the Cayman S though, brilliant car that I really think is superior to the 911 if Porsche would allow it to be.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2011, 09:06 AM   #6
IMG
M.POWER
IMG's Avatar
104
Rep
7,065
Posts

 
Drives: E36 M3 Track car,Ess E90 M3 DD
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Location

iTrader: (6)

Cayman S and 135 stock for stock are relatively close. Above 100 mph, the cayman S will pull away. Under that its a drivers race.
If youre talking about the new cayman S 2009+, they are faster by a good amout (111 mph trap speed), as even the 1M isnt faster than those.

G
__________________
NO FEAR.NO LIMITS.NO EQUAL

Ess VT3 LC built motor,Volk TE37SL,Euro taillights,Dinan Xpipe,Custom Headers,Akra axle back CF tips,ModeCarbon FR lip,BMW CF wing
LOW BOOST 60-130 6.7 sec
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2011, 09:18 AM   #7
yakev724
Brigadier General
yakev724's Avatar
Russian Federation
64
Rep
3,559
Posts

 
Drives: 00 RX300
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Ithaca, NY

iTrader: (49)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbolader View Post
I really think is superior to the 911 if Porsche would allow it to be.
A turbo can fix that.

http://www.tpcracing.com/products/TP...n-S-Turbo-Kit/
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2011, 11:37 PM   #8
Turbolader
The Fat Stig
Turbolader's Avatar
4
Rep
274
Posts

 
Drives: 2010 135i
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: 2003 Stg 3+ SRT-4

iTrader: (1)

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakev724 View Post
__________________
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2011, 12:54 AM   #9
dvpouldar26
Major
dvpouldar26's Avatar
25
Rep
1,495
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 e92 328i, Porsche 987.1
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Beverly Hills, CA

iTrader: (4)

As the owner of base (non-S) cayman, a modded one at that, The cayman is no competition to a 335i in the straight line, but that is not what it is meant for. The engine comes to life at around ~4K rpm and doesn't have the low end torque of the n54. However, as an overall package, there is no comparison in how much more fun the cayman is to drive. I agree with the different driving experience. Where the cars differ greatly is in their handling. If you're looking for a driver's car, you'll definitely be impressed with the cayman. For comparison's sake, i've even had a few modded e9x m3's have to work to keep up in some more technical driving "situations". My only complaint could be a lack in power......but that's it.
__________________
E92 328i
Jet Black / Gloss Black Grilles / 8000k D1S low beam / 6000k HID fogs / GP Thunder 8500k angels & cornering bulbs / black reflectors / gloss black vinyled window trim / tints / smoked rear turn signals / black roundels / AC Schnitzer roof spoiler / VRS style decklid spoiler / Matte black Stripes / Rear fogs / matte mirrors / 19" LM reps / APR lip
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2011, 09:16 AM   #10
Shuke
Banned
0
Rep
54
Posts

 
Drives: M3 coupe
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Here

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvpouldar26 View Post
As the owner of base (non-S) cayman, a modded one at that, The cayman is no competition to a 335i in the straight line, but that is not what it is meant for. The engine comes to life at around ~4K rpm and doesn't have the low end torque of the n54. However, as an overall package, there is no comparison in how much more fun the cayman is to drive. I agree with the different driving experience. Where the cars differ greatly is in their handling. If you're looking for a driver's car, you'll definitely be impressed with the cayman. For comparison's sake, i've even had a few modded e9x m3's have to work to keep up in some more technical driving "situations". My only complaint could be a lack in power......but that's it.
The 'S' or 'R' solve that. Both trap 110 mph+ and with PDK are a little quicker in gear. But yes, nothing else drives like the cayman/boxster. There's plenty of reason why they consistently win best driver's car awards and are the best driving car under 100K and even expanded to any price range they are some of, if not the best. Right there with the GTx Porsches, the best Ferrari's, and all exotics alike.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2011, 10:54 AM   #11
Q4P
Colonel
Q4P's Avatar
United_States
33
Rep
2,296
Posts

 
Drives: Too Much
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: World

iTrader: (0)

The car loses in every department to a 335i except the handling department... comfort and daily drive ability included. If you are not tracking the car; don't switch.
__________________
2jZ + RB26 + 4G63 + LS9 + N54 =
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2011, 11:08 AM   #12
Shuke
Banned
0
Rep
54
Posts

 
Drives: M3 coupe
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Here

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Questforpower View Post
The car loses in every department to a 335i except the handling department... comfort and daily drive ability included. If you are not tracking the car; don't switch.
Cayman wins in fun factor, precision, feel, grip, etc. The only areas the 335 is statistically better is in straight line acceleration, and again, an S will obliterate a 335 or 135.
These cars are really different types of cars altogether.

Comfort and DD-ability are subjective, so that point is moot.

Any BMW, Ms included will be rather anemic in comparison.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2011, 11:14 AM   #13
saeyedoc
Lieutenant
14
Rep
540
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 Cayman S, 2012 Panamera
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: San Antonio, TX

iTrader: (0)

I had a 335i before I got my Cayman S in July. The only things better about the 335 are the gas mileage, ability to seat more people, trunk space and low end torque. Not even close.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2011, 11:27 AM   #14
Q4P
Colonel
Q4P's Avatar
United_States
33
Rep
2,296
Posts

 
Drives: Too Much
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: World

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuke View Post
Cayman wins in fun factor, precision, feel, grip, etc. The only areas the 335 is statistically better is in straight line acceleration, and again, an S will obliterate a 335 or 135.
These cars are really different types of cars altogether.

Comfort and DD-ability are subjective, so that point is moot.

Any BMW, Ms included will be rather anemic in comparison.
Well, I've never driven a regular Cayman but I have driven the Cayman S which supposedly is even better.

Keep in mind; that I am coming from a tuned 335i but here were some of my observations;

Porsche handling and steering feel was excellent; as was the fit and finish of the car and grip and preciseness.

Fun factor wasn't even close (while that is subjective, let's remember I am coming from a tuned 335i); there was next to nothing fun about the Cayman S except the handling and sound of the flat 6.

Power wise; the car was completely anemic and there was no power whatsoever until you revved it to near death.

Brakes were a joke... I have no idea how Porsche could have even put brakes like this on a car; I have never driven with such mushy brakes... I was told they are designed like this.

In other words; I would never make the trade even if the car is more precise. Take into consideration the price difference in getting a Cayman S and you are really losing at that point... I think a lot of people on German car forums are just fan boys for Porsche (any model it may be). While I admit that I would take a 911 Turbo S, Gt3 RS or GT 2RS, it would have to be one of those models for me too switch because a Cayman and Boxster don't excite me at all.
__________________
2jZ + RB26 + 4G63 + LS9 + N54 =
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2011, 11:33 AM   #15
Shuke
Banned
0
Rep
54
Posts

 
Drives: M3 coupe
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Here

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Questforpower View Post
Well, I've never driven a regular Cayman but I have driven the Cayman S which supposedly is even better.

Keep in mind; that I am coming from a tuned 335i but here were some of my observations;

Porsche handling and steering feel was excellent; as was the fit and finish of the car and grip and preciseness.

Fun factor wasn't even close (while that is subjective, let's remember I am coming from a tuned 335i); there was next to nothing fun about the Cayman S except the handling and sound of the flat 6.

Power wise; the car was completely anemic and there was no power whatsoever until you revved it to near death.

Brakes were a joke... I have no idea how Porsche could have even put brakes like this on a car; I have never driven with such mushy brakes... I was told they are designed like this.

In other words; I would never make the trade even if the car is more precise. Take into consideration the price difference in getting a Cayman S and you are really losing at that point... I think a lot of people on German car forums are just fan boys for Porsche (any model it may be). While I admit that I would take a 911 Turbo S, Gt3 RS or GT 2RS, it would have to be one of those models for me too switch because a Cayman and Boxster don't excite me at all.
Everyone is different. Ive owned a cayman S and didnt experience any 'mushy' brake feel and on the track few cars could keep pace with me in braking and corners.
Ive also owned a couple very tuned 335s that I felt didnt compare in the least bit to even my near stock cayman S (few mods). I felt they were a bore and disliked that they didnt have a strong top end. I also disagree on power front, but any higher revving car will not have tq just off idle...most complain about this in the M3 when its far from the real case.
The turbo and GT models are in a different league than anything else out there.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2011, 11:39 AM   #16
Q4P
Colonel
Q4P's Avatar
United_States
33
Rep
2,296
Posts

 
Drives: Too Much
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: World

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuke View Post
Everyone is different. Ive owned a cayman S and didnt experience any 'mushy' brake feel and on the track few cars could keep pace with me in braking and corners.
Ive also owned a couple very tuned 335s that I felt didnt compare in the least bit to even my near stock cayman S (few mods). I felt they were a bore and disliked that they didnt have a strong top end. I also disagree on power front, but any higher revving car will not have tq just off idle...most complain about this in the M3 when its far from the real case.
The turbo and GT models are in a different league than anything else out there.
Like I said; I think it comes down to what anyone prefers but saying outright that a Cayman or Cayman S are better cars is just downright inaccurate.

Yes; the turbo and GT models are a completely different league; if they weren't so expensive; they are what I would be driving.
__________________
2jZ + RB26 + 4G63 + LS9 + N54 =
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2011, 02:56 PM   #17
Shuke
Banned
0
Rep
54
Posts

 
Drives: M3 coupe
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Here

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Questforpower View Post
Like I said; I think it comes down to what anyone prefers but saying outright that a Cayman or Cayman S are better cars is just downright inaccurate.

Yes; the turbo and GT models are a completely different league; if they weren't so expensive; they are what I would be driving.
Agreed...other than performance (handling, track times, straight line, quantitavtive data) you really cant say one is better than another when it comes to what one is looking for in a car.
Someone looking for a light, nimble world class handler that is quick will likely look for a cayman, but someone looking for a car that is decent in performance will likely look at a 4 door car (m3, c63, etc).
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 03:38 AM   #18
dvpouldar26
Major
dvpouldar26's Avatar
25
Rep
1,495
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 e92 328i, Porsche 987.1
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Beverly Hills, CA

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuke View Post
The 'S' or 'R' solve that. Both trap 110 mph+ and with PDK are a little quicker in gear. But yes, nothing else drives like the cayman/boxster. There's plenty of reason why they consistently win best driver's car awards and are the best driving car under 100K and even expanded to any price range they are some of, if not the best. Right there with the GTx Porsches, the best Ferrari's, and all exotics alike.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SehrSchnell View Post
The base Cayman is underpowered... go for the S or R. Incredible cars though!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Questforpower View Post
The car loses in every department to a 335i except the handling department... comfort and daily drive ability included. If you are not tracking the car; don't switch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuke View Post
Cayman wins in fun factor, precision, feel, grip, etc. The only areas the 335 is statistically better is in straight line acceleration, and again, an S will obliterate a 335 or 135.
These cars are really different types of cars altogether.

Comfort and DD-ability are subjective, so that point is moot.

Any BMW, Ms included will be rather anemic in comparison.
Quote:
Originally Posted by saeyedoc View Post
I had a 335i before I got my Cayman S in July. The only things better about the 335 are the gas mileage, ability to seat more people, trunk space and low end torque. Not even close.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Questforpower View Post
Well, I've never driven a regular Cayman but I have driven the Cayman S which supposedly is even better.

Keep in mind; that I am coming from a tuned 335i but here were some of my observations;

Porsche handling and steering feel was excellent; as was the fit and finish of the car and grip and preciseness.

Fun factor wasn't even close (while that is subjective, let's remember I am coming from a tuned 335i); there was next to nothing fun about the Cayman S except the handling and sound of the flat 6.

Power wise; the car was completely anemic and there was no power whatsoever until you revved it to near death.

Brakes were a joke... I have no idea how Porsche could have even put brakes like this on a car; I have never driven with such mushy brakes... I was told they are designed like this.

In other words; I would never make the trade even if the car is more precise. Take into consideration the price difference in getting a Cayman S and you are really losing at that point... I think a lot of people on German car forums are just fan boys for Porsche (any model it may be). While I admit that I would take a 911 Turbo S, Gt3 RS or GT 2RS, it would have to be one of those models for me too switch because a Cayman and Boxster don't excite me at all.

The cayman S and R are faster than a 335i but they still need to be revved like hell to make power. With juicebox, procede, cobb, etc, the 335i will win straight line, but thats aside the point of this car. With mods, a cayman S can make ~380 hp N/a with ipd plenum, gt3 throttle body, desnork, softronics tune, pulley, and exhaust. With a tpc turbo, around ~500hp, more with their stage 2 kit. I've driven or been in damn near any car imaginable and I still can say they cayman impresses me for what is, except in the power department. As for fit and finish, you cant compare a cayman and a 335i. compare the reliability and overall fit and finish and the porsche comes ahead bar none. The only problem i've seen with my cayman, which is not even bad enough to really complain about is a problem with my AOS where I get a smoky startup once in a blue moon, something which is widely known and common with the gen I caymans. With the 335i's its hard to find many without wastegate problems, hphf problems, or even throwing the car into limp mode here and there. Once again, fit and finish is great. I LOVED my BMW but these are 2 entirely different cars. The cayman is a drivers car, but the 3 series was a great car to be comfortable in, take out the friends, while still having an enjoyable car. I think a better comparison would be a cayman S or R vs. a 1M or M3.

The price point is high, but I bought my car CPO'd and there are many great examples of caymans with very aggressive pricing out there.

The extra seats honestly make no difference to me as I usually do not drive many people around. As for the trunk space, the front and rear trunks are wayy more than adequate for my needs so far.
__________________
E92 328i
Jet Black / Gloss Black Grilles / 8000k D1S low beam / 6000k HID fogs / GP Thunder 8500k angels & cornering bulbs / black reflectors / gloss black vinyled window trim / tints / smoked rear turn signals / black roundels / AC Schnitzer roof spoiler / VRS style decklid spoiler / Matte black Stripes / Rear fogs / matte mirrors / 19" LM reps / APR lip
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 09:49 AM   #19
immiketoo
Colonel
immiketoo's Avatar
71
Rep
2,873
Posts

 
Drives: Smoothly
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Chicago Burbs

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvpouldar26 View Post
The cayman S and R are faster than a 335i but they still need to be revved like hell to make power. With juicebox, procede, cobb, etc, the 335i will win straight line, but thats aside the point of this car. With mods, a cayman S can make ~380 hp N/a with ipd plenum, gt3 throttle body, desnork, softronics tune, pulley, and exhaust. With a tpc turbo, around ~500hp, more with their stage 2 kit. I've driven or been in damn near any car imaginable and I still can say they cayman impresses me for what is, except in the power department. As for fit and finish, you cant compare a cayman and a 335i. compare the reliability and overall fit and finish and the porsche comes ahead bar none. The only problem i've seen with my cayman, which is not even bad enough to really complain about is a problem with my AOS where I get a smoky startup once in a blue moon, something which is widely known and common with the gen I caymans. With the 335i's its hard to find many without wastegate problems, hphf problems, or even throwing the car into limp mode here and there. Once again, fit and finish is great. I LOVED my BMW but these are 2 entirely different cars. The cayman is a drivers car, but the 3 series was a great car to be comfortable in, take out the friends, while still having an enjoyable car. I think a better comparison would be a cayman S or R vs. a 1M or M3.

The price point is high, but I bought my car CPO'd and there are many great examples of caymans with very aggressive pricing out there.

The extra seats honestly make no difference to me as I usually do not drive many people around. As for the trunk space, the front and rear trunks are wayy more than adequate for my needs so far.
This is sort of the point of the Cayman.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by double eagle View Post
Thickness feels good to me and my hands aren't that big.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2011, 04:10 AM   #20
dvpouldar26
Major
dvpouldar26's Avatar
25
Rep
1,495
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 e92 328i, Porsche 987.1
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Beverly Hills, CA

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by immiketoo View Post
This is sort of the point of the Cayman.
That is sort of my point. I enjoy my N/A power. It is tough to compare a 335i to a cayman which is N/A because their power delivery is completely different. The cars feel completely different, another reason why I think an m3 is a better comparison. Overall, the sound, feel, etc of a cayman is a completely different experience.
__________________
E92 328i
Jet Black / Gloss Black Grilles / 8000k D1S low beam / 6000k HID fogs / GP Thunder 8500k angels & cornering bulbs / black reflectors / gloss black vinyled window trim / tints / smoked rear turn signals / black roundels / AC Schnitzer roof spoiler / VRS style decklid spoiler / Matte black Stripes / Rear fogs / matte mirrors / 19" LM reps / APR lip
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2011, 11:32 AM   #21
Shuke
Banned
0
Rep
54
Posts

 
Drives: M3 coupe
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Here

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by immiketoo View Post
This is sort of the point of the Cayman.
The point of any high revving car. Power that only truly begins at 4K but only gets stronger as you hold the revs whereas low rpm tq cars fall off here, generally speaking.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2011, 12:04 PM   #22
saeyedoc
Lieutenant
14
Rep
540
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 Cayman S, 2012 Panamera
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: San Antonio, TX

iTrader: (0)

Went for a spirted drive through the twisty roads of the Texas hill country last weekend with 19 other Porsches. So much fun running in the high RPM range, the engine is so responsive. No way that would have been as much fun in my previous 335.
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:54 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST