E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > horrible knocking noise from engine

06-12-2013, 06:39 PM   #67
j1gilles
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by james008 View Post
Even if I wanted to, with the new oil cooler installed warranty is out of the question.
I talked to a buddy of mine over at BMW... Check the serpentine belt tensioner... It makes a similar noise and hard to see/diagnose. Just a thought.
      06-12-2013, 09:15 PM   #68
james008
Captain
Rep
Drives: AW 09 335i

Thank you, I will drop BMW a line tomorrow to check for that. Fingers crossed... (constantly)

Quote:
Originally Posted by j1gilles View Post
I talked to a buddy of mine over at BMW... Check the serpentine belt tensioner... It makes a similar noise and hard to see/diagnose. Just a thought.
      06-13-2013, 09:21 AM   #69
BMWM.D.
Stupid Idiot
Rep
Drives: E90 335i & 6th Gen ZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by j1gilles View Post
Yep, the first thing I'd do would be to remove the belt to make sure it's an internal noise. Sometimes it can be hard to tell.
      06-13-2013, 11:11 AM   #70
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWM.D. View Post
Yep, the first thing I'd do would be to remove the belt to make sure it's an internal noise. Sometimes it can be hard to tell.
If the belt tensioner failed (and it does create quite a racket), you may be able to see the loose belt clacking back and forth.

Neil
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2013, 05:39 PM   #71
james008
Captain
Rep

Copper shavings found in the Oil Filter... Bmw says for sure rod bearing failure and needs a new engine. Is engine failure seriously possible at 75,000 miles?

I have owned this car for less then a year now what?
      06-13-2013, 05:49 PM   #72
n54gte
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: prius

Quote:
Copper shavings found in the Oil Filter... Bmw says for sure rod bearing failure and needs a new engine. Is engine failure seriously possible at 75,000 miles?

Welp...fork over the doe I guess! Sucks to hear that man
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2013, 05:58 PM   #73
drfrink24
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by james008

Main bearings going out = oil starvation. I'd have a conversation with the shop that did the work, they may have driven it w/o oil or very low oil. This is the first bearing failure I can recall on these forums.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2013, 06:20 PM   #74
foghat
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Yep. If car was running fine before shop did the oil cooler....
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2013, 06:36 PM   #75
acdHQK713K
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

Wouldn't low oil pressure trigger a saved fault code on the car? Maybe there is one saved that they didn't clear?
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2013, 06:43 PM   #76
Revlis
Now With 33% MORE Sarcasm Free!
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 i3 X3

Quote:

With mods increasing HP? Of course it is, anyone that says otherwise is selling mods or smoking crack. There's a reason so many cars when sold are stripped of all their "mods".

Given the procede and the rest you cannot blame BMW or act at all surprised that increased stress caused an engine to fail. SO hell yeah it's possible, unfortunate, I'm not dancing on it's grave, but it's hardly surprising.

Just really shitty.
      06-13-2013, 06:45 PM   #77
james008
Captain
Rep

Seems way too coincidental that car ran fine before fender bender and shop work and now has shavings in the oil filter within driving 20 miles. Two scenarios seem most feasible. The bender bender caused a crimp in the oil cooler lines and was the cause or shop didn't install enough oil after the cooler install and starved it.
      06-13-2013, 06:49 PM   #78
foghat
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revlis View Post
With mods increasing HP? Of course it is, anyone that says otherwise is selling mods or smoking crack. There's a reason so many cars when sold are stripped of all their "mods".

Given the procede and the rest you cannot blame BMW or act at all surprised that increased stress caused an engine to fail. SO hell yeah it's possible, unfortunate, I'm not dancing on it's grave, but it's hardly surprising.

Just really shitty.
Possible? Anything is possible, but how many hundreds of people on these forums are running 380plus whp? How many internal engine failures have you read about? I think this may be the first one I've read about, if not, it certainly isn't many. Plus, while I'm no expert, it sounds like the common cause for this type of failure is oil starvation...

Given that is seems things were running fine before and after the accident, the most likely culprit is the shop that put in the oil cooler ran things with not enough oil.

And while yes it is harder to sell a modded car, a big reason modded cars are stripped before sale is try recoup some of the cost of the mods by selling them separately.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2013, 07:14 PM   #79
sutter2k
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i

Is it possible the oil cooler was not crafted correctly and came with shards or shavings in it?
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2013, 07:14 PM   #80
Revlis
Now With 33% MORE Sarcasm Free!
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 i3 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by foghat View Post
Possible? Anything is possible, but how many hundreds of people on these forums are running 380plus whp? How many internal engine failures have you read about? I think this may be the first one I've read about, if not, it certainly isn't many.

Given that is seems things were running fine before and after the accident, the most likely culprit is the shop that put in the oil cooler ran things with not enough oil.

And while yes it is harder to sell a modded car, a big reason modded cars are stripped before sale is try recoup some of the cost of the mods by selling them separately.

If a "Tuner" wants to strip the car of all mods and then sell as stock, cool makes sense to recoup some cash. NOT mentioning that fact to a potential buyer is fraud, genuinely criminal. No wiggle room...

So how many who strip all the stuff off their cars truly sell with full disclosure?

I know because you can find the ads for vehicles that were here on e90 post when they are sold. There is often NO MENTION that it's been "tuned", formerly proceeded. Nope, just an add featuring a shiny "stock" car with "aftermarket wheels available". Then it's sold to the unsuspecting...

Are the Mods clearly the cause of this failure? Maybe not, but denying that garage mods seriously shorten lifespan is wishful thinking. We don't read about the failures here as they are tortured and dumped after just a couple of years, I don't know of anyone else here with a modded engine at 75K. They are always dumped off to the unsuspecting with what 20-30K miles?

Just like doing drugs, or smoking. It's not the Current condition that suffers so much as the damage being done now manifests later in life.

Either way OP, real shitty situation. Hope you can get something worked out. If the shop is indeed responsible maybe you'll actually get someone with integrity working there or managing ready to step up and do the right thing.
      06-13-2013, 07:15 PM   #81
Indo Rider
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by foghat View Post
Possible? Anything is possible, but how many hundreds of people on these forums are running 380plus whp? How many internal engine failures have you read about? I think this may be the first one I've read about, if not, it certainly isn't many. Plus, while I'm no expert, it sounds like the common cause for this type of failure is oil starvation...

+1

+1

+1
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2013, 07:22 PM   #82
Indo Rider
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135

Quote:
If a "Tuner" wants to strip the car of all mods and then sell as stock, cool makes sense to recoup some cash. NOT mentioning that fact to a potential buyer is fraud, genuinely criminal. No wiggle room...

So how many who strip all the stuff off their cars truly sell with full disclosure?

I know because you can find the ads for vehicles that were here on e90 post when they are sold. There is often NO MENTION that it's been "tuned", formerly proceeded. Nope, just an add featuring a shiny "stock" car with "aftermarket wheels available". Then it's sold to the unsuspecting...

Are the Mods clearly the cause of this failure? Maybe not, but denying that garage mods seriously shorten lifespan is wishful thinking. We don't read about the failures here as they are tortured and dumped after just a couple of years, I don't know of anyone else here with a modded engine at 75K. They are always dumped off to the unsuspecting with what 20-30K miles?

Just like doing drugs, or smoking. It's not the Current condition that suffers so much as the damage being done now manifests later in life.

Either way OP, real shitty situation. Hope you can get something worked out. If the shop is indeed responsible maybe you'll actually get someone with integrity working there or managing ready to step up and do the right thing.
Dude, what's your angle? My car has 64K, tuned since before 10K. Yeah some parts wear faster and need to be replaced, but that's expected. I get oil analysis done by blackstone labs and the reports show engine wear is all normal and they recommend I can go longer OCI (I do 5K). Overall life of the engine will probably be less, but it sure as hell is going last a lot longer than 75K with proper maintenance, even at 400+ whp.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2013, 07:25 PM   #83
AceOnShake
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90

Try to call your insurance agent I think thats another 10k in damages they might total it.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2013, 07:41 PM   #84
j1gilles
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335xi

Quote:

This is the funniest post I have read in a long time.... One of my renters is a BMW tech in the Chicagoland area and he has NEVER seen a bearing failure (rod, main or cam) on a 335... Granted he doesnt see too many cars with over 100k on the clock.

Also, just so you know you're 100% wrong about full disclosure regarding used cars...
      06-13-2013, 08:05 PM   #85
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Quote:
Seems way too coincidental that car ran fine before fender bender and shop work and now has shavings in the oil filter within driving 20 miles. Two scenarios seem most feasible. The bender bender caused a crimp in the oil cooler lines and was the cause or shop didn't install enough oil after the cooler install and starved it.
Agree that these are the most likely scenarios.

Neil
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2013, 09:00 PM   #86
foghat
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:

Come on. There was probably no mention in those ads that there used to be a door ding or chipped windshield. A seller probably does not disclose that the water pump or hpfp could go at anytime as they bloody suck on this platform. Who sells anything used with full disclosure? Modded or not. Okay, I'm sure some do. Granted if someone asked if was previously modded, I would tell them. But there is no way I am obligated to tell them.

Criminal because I am selling a used car and don't mention it was previously modded or mention what other work may have been done to it. I call bull. If the car is in fine working condition when sold, it is in fine working condition. If it wasn't, then yes, I'd feel there is an obligation to let the seller know (but even then, I doubt I'm legally obligated to tell them). Buyer beware holds true, as a used car shopper, you should be doing your homework and asking the right questions, and getting things inspected.

Please provide any sort of hard proof that mods "seriously shorten lifespan" on this platform. because everything I've seen in these forums would suggest that modding this car (within reason, i.e. fbo +meth) has little ill effect on the lifespan.

Don't get me wrong, I have little doubt certain mods will cause premature wear (outside of having to do plugs and coils and such more frequently), but what exactly that means is unknown at this point. Maybe an unmodded engine goes 300,000 miles vs. 250,000 for a modded one or maybe the modded one goes further because the car had a tune custom made for the car and the owner did not drive it hard very often.

I have read of a number of people here with over 100,000 almost all tune miles who are still running strong. Bottom line is we will probably never know how much a modded car shortens (if it is even is by a measurable amount) the lifespan. To say it will 'seriously shorten' is misleading at best; you may be 100% correct, but at this point there is no way to know and current info would indicate otherwise. And if we end up talking I only get 300,000 miles instead of 400,000, the whole thing kind of becomes moot anyways.

And in the OPs case, it is pretty obvious if the car wasn't making the noise before the accident, that either the accident or the shop caused this problem.

Last edited by foghat; 06-13-2013 at 09:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2013, 09:02 PM   #87
james008
Captain
Rep

Not sure about previous owner and what mods they had on it. But I have had the car less than a year and the procede has only been on there for maybe 4 months and all other mods no more than 2 months. Not that this has anything to do with it but it would be sad to see this car totaled, I put a lot of blood sweat and now tears into this thing to see it go in auction and sold somewhere overseas. I just want it back on the street as my DD again.
      06-13-2013, 09:11 PM   #88
foghat
Captain
Canada
Rep

^ Ya, I feel for you. Hopefully the the shop comes clean (if they in fact do know they ran it without oil) or insurance covers it as part of the accident. Maybe then they'd just give you a new engine vs. writing off? Or maybe not. I dunno.
Appreciate 0