E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Back ache!

09-02-2009, 03:43 AM   #1
Penyfan1960
Trooper
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320D M-Sport Le Mans Blue

Back ache!

If any of you happy-go-lucky, bright eyed, bushy tailed lads out there suffer lower back pain whilst driving, please take warning from this, and do something about it.
I finished up on crutches and a disabled blue badge. I was just a step away from a wheelchair.
The key is ‘lumber support’. If your motor hasn’t got it built into the back of the seat, get a shaped lumber support cushion, now. Good ones are available on fleabay for about £10 or so.
It’s well worth it. I persevered and luckily, am now free of crutches and the blue badge. Posture whilst driving is really important! Believe me!
I had never suffered from ‘backache’ so when I placed my order for a new E90 320i SE (non leather) three or so years ago I never gave it a thought. ‘Lumbar support’ was and is an extra item (488).
I have now on order a new 320D M-Sport Le Mans Blue. Yes! It will have leather sport seats with ‘lumbar support’.
Expect to take deliver in a couple of weeks.
Will post some pics after a few test drives!
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2009, 05:41 AM   #2
Em135eye
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M135i

Garage List
Does depend on the seats a lot though - I've had very sculpted seats with adjustable lumbar support (last two cars) that have been uncomfy on my back and seats that look "normal" but are super comfy - depends on your back shape.

I find the most important thing is to stretch a lot, make sure your lower back is strong (I do weights and surf a lot for this) and look at your posture at work - a real big area for back trouble.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2009, 08:15 AM   #3
Penyfan1960
Trooper
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks 335 diesel. I quite agree, it does depend on the seats of the car. I’ve had about a doz different cars with no problems with my back, the exception being the E90 320i SE (non leather). I’ve no idea why, except for the design of the seat/cushioning. The 'as supplied' seats in the car are not right and I find it hard to believe I am the only person who has had a prob with this car.
I go regularly to the gym with various exercises using dumbbells with pull ups (18+12) & chin ups (14) etc plus a couple of half hour runs per week and therefore always considered being quite fit.
I completed yesterday a 560 mile round trip on the motorways, driving a BMW Mini Cooper, with no probs, but I did have a lumbar support cushion. I am just too scared to do without it now!
When I get the new motor I will have to suck it and see!
And by the way, the Mini Cooper falls a long way short in driving and ride comfort compared with my above old E90, which I now miss. I sold it a couple of months ago because I had an offer I could'nt refuse. I miss also the simple things like Prof Sat Nav, low road & wind noise, decent wing mirrors etc and yes, reasonable power still available at the speed limit and come back 'idrive' all is forgiven!
Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2009, 08:23 AM   #4
Em135eye
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
I've driven vans with comfy seats and supercars/luxury cars with seats that kill me!

I used to get backache too but 99% of it was from sitting at a desk all day with a bad seat and poor positioning. It's long gone now. Only twinges now are from surfing - the paddling makes you arch your back so the ache is actually healthy.

Just not sure if a lumbar support will suit everyone - depends very much on your shape.

PS: Managed 38 pull ups (very strict form or they don't count) last week. Aiming to crack 40 this week... Oh and have you tried Chinese press ups - very evil. Do them as part of the twice weekly routine...!
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2009, 11:31 AM   #5
SiKkBaSs
GTR'in it
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Nissan GTR Black Edition

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335diesel View Post
PS: Managed 38 pull ups (very strict form or they don't count) last week.
Hmmm. I'd like to call you out on this sir. 38 pullups is an awful lot. Are you ex-military? I'm a natural bodybuilder and train with many gifted athletes. I don't think I've seen anyone apart from on the net who can push an almost 40 pull up set. I myself can manage 3 sets of 10 with a 20kg plate strapped to myself. My max would probably be 20-25 at a push.

Strict form would be a full stretch at the bottom (hanging) no kip-ups and a contraction at the top. Are these underhand or overhand pullups (this is what I'm referring to). Underhand is much easier but still.

I'm not doubting you can do this...

Also regarding back ache...I know I'm young etc but maybe try exercising more. Attend the gym. Lift manageable weights to help strengthen your lower back lumbar regions.

Jus my .02
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2009, 11:58 AM   #6
Em135eye
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Lightweight - I did dabble - OTC at Uni then a POC (passed) but not "proper" military. Just a life dedicated (almost) to exercise. I started aged 16 (was already fit from surfing), got serious aged about 19/20 and put on three stone in under two years and have been training hard ever since. Not full on bodybuilding, just training. I used to instruct kickboxing (assisted the main coach) and majored on the exercise/circuits stuff - no one could get close for press ups and upper body stuff. Also run 10k trail races and got a two 5ths (out of 700 and out of 150) and other decent placings then entered my first off road triathlon (Sprint distance) and won it in May.

I'm a bit of a fitness/training geek really - can do all sorts of weird gymnastic type stuff and those chinese press ups - not seen one person do one properly yet - I do ten as part of my triceps workout.

Sorry to go on and on - bit of a passion of mine!

Oh and it's overhand (pull ups) rather than underhand (chin ups) - if you really aren't convinced, I'll video them and stick it on-line!

Got static pics of the chinese press ups too.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2009, 12:08 PM   #7
SiKkBaSs
GTR'in it
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Nissan GTR Black Edition

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Oh and it's overhand (pull ups) rather than underhand (chin ups) - if you really aren't convinced, I'll video them and stick it on-line!

Got static pics of the chinese press ups too.
Yes mate stick it online when you attempt the 40. Would be awesome. Good to see another fitness fanatic on the site. I put on a bit of weight over the summer since it's off season. Cutting up a bit now so the dreaded cardio and strict diet plan . Can't wait to get my abs back again though

Appreciate 0
      09-02-2009, 12:17 PM   #8
trixman
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: A Rental

Garage List
2007 BMW E92 335d  [0.00]
2003 M3 CSL  [0.00]
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Lightweight - I did dabble - OTC at Uni then a POC (passed) but not "proper" military. Just a life dedicated (almost) to exercise. I started aged 16 (was already fit from surfing), got serious aged about 19/20 and put on three stone in under two years and have been training hard ever since. Not full on bodybuilding, just training. I used to instruct kickboxing (assisted the main coach) and majored on the exercise/circuits stuff - no one could get close for press ups and upper body stuff. Also run 10k trail races and got a two 5ths (out of 700 and out of 150) and other decent placings then entered my first off road triathlon (Sprint distance) and won it in May.
2 x 5th places?

Must try harder next time.

Appreciate 0
      09-02-2009, 12:54 PM   #9
Em135eye
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Trix - I only started running a couple of years ago ;-) Not really a runners physique TBH - bit bulky.

This is near the end of the 10k in which I was 5th out of 700: I'm in red and black shorts:

And at the end of the MTB leg of the tri that I ahem won...

Mrs 335diesel also entered a local tri the next day (having had our baby boy 8 months earlier) and was the 2nd female and 5th overall.

Lightweight - never been without visible abs but that was partly because I was a skinny little runt for years!

Cycle 50ish miles a week (mostly off road) run twice a week, do weights twice a week, surf a lot, walk probably 20 miles with the dog - and not actually training for anything. A bit sad really!

And sorry - I do go on a bit.

Are you ex military or training for anything specific (lightweight?)?

Gratuitous surf pic too:

Appreciate 0
      09-02-2009, 01:50 PM   #10
trixman
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: A Rental

Garage List
2007 BMW E92 335d  [0.00]
2003 M3 CSL  [0.00]
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
I lifted the phone for a pizza earlier. You don't hear me showing off.

Very impressive stuff though, don't know where you get the energy from!
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2009, 04:40 PM   #11
Penyfan1960
Trooper
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I've driven vans with comfy seats and supercars/luxury cars with seats that kill me!

I used to get backache too but 99% of it was from sitting at a desk all day with a bad seat and poor positioning. It's long gone now. Only twinges now are from surfing - the paddling makes you arch your back so the ache is actually healthy.

Just not sure if a lumbar support will suit everyone - depends very much on your shape.

PS: Managed 38 pull ups (very strict form or they don't count) last week. Aiming to crack 40 this week... Oh and have you tried Chinese press ups - very evil. Do them as part of the twice weekly routine...!
Hi!
Pull-ups/chin ups is a strange exercise. So simple yet so difficult. When I was in the Army it was the most failed and a lot of lads back squadded.
At our local gym (David Lloyd) the pull-up frame, is I would say the least used machine.
Yes, people swing their legs from it quite often, but reasonably rare for pull-ups/chin ups.
The max I have ever seen is 16 pull-ups.
There are lots of beefy muscle guys in the gym that can move the weights, but if they move the weights they can’t do the pull-ups /chin ups. Their power to weight ratio is all wrong.
I can actually do 22 pull ups.(I was being modest before) although the last two at times can be a bit dodgy. But just before, I can bench press with 28 kg dumbbells x12 reps and 20kg x 12 bench flys. In our gym, I am surprised to say, I have seen no one equal this. (But since my back prob only 26 kg. and 14kg).
I have always considered myself fit and I am some what stunned having this back situation, which I hope is now gone away. The back prob made it very painful to walk and impossible to drive (the worst part).
For the present I am avoiding all exercises which put a bending moment or leverage on my back.
Thanks for the interest but what are Chinese press-ups? Would it include the clap hands in the press-up?
PS I have been advised that previous mention has been made on the internet regarding lack of lumbar support in the 320i, causing back ache. I am trying to find it!
Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2009, 02:02 AM   #12
Em135eye
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Penyfan - Pics being pm'd!
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2009, 02:20 AM   #13