E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > People who dont 'DARE' to turn off dtc/dcs??

01-14-2014, 03:12 AM   #23
nicktyler
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i (sadly gone)

Garage List
To press the DTC button once results in certain fun!

If you are modded then it is a must as most of the time you end up with hardly any power as the traction kicks in and doesn't return power untill you reapply the throttle. I like being able to get a little 'he done gone sideways' on empty roundabouts and with the DTC one push it stops you from going to far.

I have never really turned the TC off completly as with no LSD and 400bhp+ there is no point on our roads as you end up making loads of noise and not going anywhere. same as with TC on but much worse for the tyres.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2014, 03:28 AM   #24
MEGA
Dieseasal
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: LCI E92 335d M-Sport

It seems most are agreed that DTC one press is the way to drive these cars every day..
      01-15-2014, 06:10 AM   #25
russdx
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 325D M SPORT,2014 E220AMG

Think ill keep mine on, Im to scare to end up wrapped around a lampost lol
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 06:18 AM   #26
sylonien
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3

Or find a empty car park and switch it all off and find out
just how the car reacts when it does loose traction.

Give you rough idea when or how the car breaks traction.
      01-15-2014, 06:26 AM   #27
IanS100
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 520d F10 LCI M Sport

In a 320d I don't think it'll make the slightest difference so, unless we suddenly have 6" snow, I'll leave it where it is.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 09:08 AM   #28
Frobius
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F11 530d M-Sport

Garage List
I've turned it on when there's been snow and an actually need to allow a little slip but to be fair, unless I'm hooning the car about I don't ever notice the TC kicking in. Can't say I've ever turned off the system either. Why would you unless you're in a track? Just to melt tyres? Unless you're trying to show off in a mcdonalds car park, then I don't get it.

The car handles and drives just fine with the normal TC left on. Probably because BMW designed it that way... DTC is there for scenarios where you want to allow slip on low traction surfaces.

The thread really does come across as though if you don't drive around with DTC on then you're a poof and you've got no business in a BMW?!

Not aimed at anyone at all but that combined with coming across that you drive around with the tail sliding around also makes you seem like a chopper. As I said, in no way aimed at anyone - just one to consider generally.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 10:27 AM   #29
misterS3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X70 on the way

Can't remember how it works on the 3 series, but can speak for the fast datsun. It's more than Traction control. It helps with understeer on roundabouts if you go in too fast or hit something slick faster than i can react, more importantly if you have the unfortunate need to swerve and avoid someone in from of you.

Plus i wrote off a lovely low mileage E30 325i when i was 21 (saved up 4 years to get it 10 years old with 35k and FSH) because while overtaking the right rear wheel spun up on the white paint and lack of TC and LSD meant less than .5 second later i was in a spin. Luckily (i mean lottery win lucky) i missed all cars and pedestrians around me. Otherwise i'd have probably had a stint in prison for dangerous driving. So i tend to leave it on on all my cars unless on a track. Or in a empty car park.

Plus i am 40 this year!
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 11:36 AM   #30
Dan-danGT
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330d M-Sport

I have a 330d remapped and its quite hairy mid corner if you press the throttle it will get the TC light flashing at most speeds, recently at 70mph it did this. Now with the dtc fully off i think it would have spun me around, as most peoples reactions times are not quick enough to correct it.
i leave mine on most of the time unless im hammering away from the lights, then i turn it off completely and use my foot as the TC. but if you want some fun with not alot of interference from the TC then just press it briefly and get the dtc light on! much safer i think
      01-16-2014, 01:33 AM   #31
Sparky68
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2 Alpine White

Garage List
2016 BMW M2  [0.50]
2017 BMW F30 330D  [0.00]
2014 M135  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Mine is always off unless it

1 snows
2 is very icey

Maybe that is why I go through a set of rears every few months!
      01-16-2014, 02:28 AM   #32
SteveC
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5

The problem for even the best drivers

The problem for even the best drivers is:

With 300bhp and 400+NM on tap, the tyres will spin up far faster than anyone can react. By the time you register a loss of traction, the revs are red lining, the wheels spinning and the car massively out of line.

If you are consciously trying to provoke a slide or oversteer, then you are by definition already modulating the gas pedal and expecting to control some slip.

Problems arise when you are not trying anything, just driving normally or quickly and suddenly encounter a low grip situation or need to swerve.

There no doubt that many have the capability to drive very powerful cars fast, however given the inability to predict traction levels (unlike a racetrack), its good to have some electronic safety net that monitors 100% of the time and reacts 100X quicker than the driver.

Make a mistake on a track and you spin off and maybe do some panel damage. Do the same on a public road and you could kill someone and yourself. I drove for years on a fast, flat South African dirt road, so getting sideways is more or less 2nd nature. Unexpectedly hitting a patch of spilled diesel on a dark wet night while exiting a roundabout is not my cup of tea. Knowing the propensity of a 3 Series to loose the back end when not electronically governed, my TC stays on.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 07:27 AM   #33
Desmondo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 330i M-Sport

I can't think of a time I'd really need to turn it off. In an average days driving I can't see the need.
      02-01-2014, 06:44 PM   #34
335DieselPower
First Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: BMW 335D stock engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEGA View Post
It seems most are agreed that DTC one press is the way to drive these cars every day..
do you know of any BMW meets in London?

I see you're from Harrow..
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2014, 06:51 PM   #35
#Tee
Major General
Rep
Drives: yes

its scary man...leave that shit on

You can follow my builds on IG: Tee212
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2014, 06:24 AM   #36
djgandy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

Garage List
2011 M3  [0.00]
One press if I really need to pull away, or if its damp/wet. The TC is way too keen when the roads lose a bit of grip and you just end up going no where and wearing out your brake pads.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2014, 07:11 AM   #37
stupot
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 40d MSport, 21" wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC

With 300bhp and 400+NM on tap, the tyres will spin up far faster than anyone can react. By the time you register a loss of traction, the revs are red lining, the wheels spinning and the car massively out of line.

If you are consciously trying to provoke a slide or oversteer, then you are by definition already modulating the gas pedal and expecting to control some slip.

Problems arise when you are not trying anything, just driving normally or quickly and suddenly encounter a low grip situation or need to swerve.

There no doubt that many have the capability to drive very powerful cars fast, however given the inability to predict traction levels (unlike a racetrack), its good to have some electronic safety net that monitors 100% of the time and reacts 100X quicker than the driver.

Make a mistake on a track and you spin off and maybe do some panel damage. Do the same on a public road and you could kill someone and yourself. I drove for years on a fast, flat South African dirt road, so getting sideways is more or less 2nd nature. Unexpectedly hitting a patch of spilled diesel on a dark wet night while exiting a roundabout is not my cup of tea. Knowing the propensity of a 3 Series to loose the back end when not electronically governed, my TC stays on.
One of the most sensible posts I've read in ages.

I agree 100%, it's there for that 1 moment when you are not expecting it and wouldn't be quick enough to do anything about it.

There's a good chance it will save your life and you can't put a price or gamble with that.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2014, 07:45 AM   #38
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC View Post

Don't you find the traction control in the BMW a bit too "sensitive"? As in, it will kick in very very early and prevent any form of progress when overtaking or coming out of a junction?
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2014, 08:22 AM   #39
idnan
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by zltm089 View Post
Don't you find the traction control in the BMW a bit too "sensitive"? As in, it will kick in very very early and prevent any form of progress when overtaking or coming out of a junction?
You'll probably find it is more the car prone to wheelspin due the open diff/high amounts of torque/less than ideal conditions and grip from rear tyres. Unfortunately you can't overcome physics (unless in a GT-R it seems )

With an LSD and stickier/wider tyres I find that turning the TC off defo helps pulling out from junctions but it still has the tendancy to light the rears up when in 3 figures in winter conditions

Last edited by idnan; 02-03-2014 at 08:31 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2014, 11:39 AM   #40
misterS3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X70 on the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by idnan View Post
You'll probably find it is more the car prone to wheelspin due the open diff/high amounts of torque/less than ideal conditions and grip from rear tyres. Unfortunately you can't overcome physics (unless in a GT-R it seems )

With an LSD and stickier/wider tyres I find that turning the TC off defo helps pulling out from junctions but it still has the tendancy to light the rears up when in 3 figures in winter conditions
Fast Datsun. Straight line, cold roads, TC fully on and you will find it very erm lively with even a modest amount of loud. Back end loves to step out. Have to drive it with a lot of respect at the moment!
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2014, 01:49 PM   #41
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterS3 View Post
Fast Datsun. Straight line, cold roads, TC fully on and you will find it very erm lively with even a modest amount of loud. Back end loves to step out. Have to drive it with a lot of respect at the moment!
blimey!!!...so how is it in R mode then? or if you turn off all aids?
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2014, 04:15 PM   #42
joeyt
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335i

335i full bolt on. Upgrade turbos and lsd. Traction control switched the second I start the engine out of habbit. I cant dtive a car with tc. It reacts poorly to situations I vould make better judgment in. Tc off for me. Shouldnt be any other way.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2014, 05:22 PM   #43
IanS100
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 520d F10 LCI M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyt View Post
335i full bolt on. Upgrade turbos and lsd. Traction control switched the second I start the engine out of habbit. I cant dtive a car with tc. It reacts poorly to situations I vould make better judgment in. Tc off for me. Shouldnt be any other way.
I wonder if the ECU records this? If so you could have problems with your insurance in the event of an accident?!
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2014, 01:29 AM   #44
Frobius
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F11 530d M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyt View Post
I'm not finger pointing but this post just smacks of someone who thinks they are fucking Jensen Button just because they drive a fast car. "I'm better than BMW's traction control". Please.

I'd love to go out and buy an R1 bike. But I don't. Not because I'm scared, but because I'm stupid. The first thing I'd do is go and ride at 180 (because race car) and kill myself into a wall! No doubt taking out a few innocent people too. So I don't.
Appreciate 0