E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > KW V1 coilovers vs springs/shocks

05-14-2015, 10:01 PM   #1
ironduke2010
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E92 xDrive

KW V1 coilovers vs springs/shocks

like too many others i find myself searching out and plowing through the numerous xdrive suspension threads because i'm a little shocked at how floaty and sloppy the suspension on my '11 335 xdrive coupe feels at speed. if it wasn't for the fact that i don't track my car, have to contend with tons of salt through long harsh winters, don't love to deal with maintenance, and have seen too many posts regarding leaking KW V1's, i'd just go get a set of V1 coilovers and be done with it. because all the above apply, i'd much rather go with, say, a set of eibach pro-kit springs for 335i rwd, and a set of bilstein b8's (or koni sports) for xdrive.

i'm less concerned with the stupid reverse rake and height of the car than the sloppy feel, but from the threads it sounds like the coilovers address both better than the springs/shocks approach. is this true? has anyone tried both who can share their observations? i would go with coilovers and their cost and pain-in-the-butt factor if they fixed things that much better than the springs/shocks route, or if the springs/shocks route was somehow just inadequate (which doesn't sound like the case).
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2015, 10:58 PM   #2
Sidewinderpb
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i xDrive 6mt

Coilovers are amazing. I have KW v3's and live in Connecticut - which has harsh winters and tons of salt (my town literally went over their salt budget this year). They're stainless steel - so no sweat.

But I'm sure that some douchebag will feel the need to chime in and tell you not to get coils for x and y reasons. I've not tried both, but I can tell you that coils are the best thing I've done to any car - especially the disgusting boat-feeling xdrive.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2015, 01:38 AM   #3
kisho
Quiet till poked
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325xi

Garage List
2006 325xi  [9.50]
Did you happen to read the review thread just under this one?
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2015, 03:50 AM   #4
335xs2dinan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 335xi, 22 G80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironduke2010 View Post
like too many others i find myself searching out and plowing through the numerous xdrive suspension threads because i'm a little shocked at how floaty and sloppy the suspension on my '11 335 xdrive coupe feels at speed. if it wasn't for the fact that i don't track my car, have to contend with tons of salt through long harsh winters, don't love to deal with maintenance, and have seen too many posts regarding leaking KW V1's, i'd just go get a set of V1 coilovers and be done with it. because all the above apply, i'd much rather go with, say, a set of eibach pro-kit springs for 335i rwd, and a set of bilstein b8's (or koni sports) for xdrive.

i'm less concerned with the stupid reverse rake and height of the car than the sloppy feel, but from the threads it sounds like the coilovers address both better than the springs/shocks approach. is this true? has anyone tried both who can share their observations? i would go with coilovers and their cost and pain-in-the-butt factor if they fixed things that much better than the springs/shocks route, or if the springs/shocks route was somehow just inadequate (which doesn't sound like the case).
Hey, this may add to the confusion but hopefully helps somewhat. Hesitate to answer as there was a pre emptive DB stamp on whoever was going to write this post but here goes!

I ve had both a KW V3 set up and just recently, went to a Koni/Dinan spring set up. The V3s definitely gave a nice looking drop. For me that was not my primary concern - I was looking for improved performance, a more stable ride compared to stock over rough roads, and did not want to sacrifice much comfort. Full disclosure, I also had a newborn about 6 wks before the V3s went on - usually she rides in my wife s X3 not e92 but I also wanted her to be able to ride with me if needed.

The ride w V3 generally was acceptable but IMO significantly less comfortable than stock. I had them set at max height/minimal drop and dampers adjusted to one setting softer than KW recs for compression and rebound. The biggest issue was I felt that it was easy to feel the suspension bottom out and feel jarring. I had run flat tires w stock suspension when I first purchased the car and then quickly ditched the RFT bc some bumps would feel like a minor collision. Even with standard tires (19" rims) those qualities seemed to come back when I had the KW V3s. The V3s did provide a big improvement in cornering, handling performance and was very fun to drive on smooth windy roads, traffic circles and maneuvering on the freeway. They were not an issue for Michigan winter driving at all with regards to clearance. I use 17" wheels for the winter and the comfort was a lot better with that compared to the 19" summer setup. I did really like and enjoy the V3s and felt they were a significant upgrade but the comfort bothered me and I went back to stock after about 6-7k miles/5-6 months.

The new setup just installed is Dinan top adjustable rear shocks, Koni yellow xi specific front struts, Dinan springs, Dinan fixed camber plates, M3/Z4 bumpstops, Dinan rear upper shock mounts and UUC front sway bar. Its probably too early to really give a definitive full review of what I think of this suspension as I havent yet gotten an alignment since the install. Firstly, the drop looks a little odd even compared to stock bc the rear has minimal wheel well gap (less than a fingerbreath)/borderline tucked and the front doesnt look like it came down much from stock. More importantly, this set up soaks up bumpy roads much better than either stock (too bouncy, too long to recover) or the V3 (more harsh/occassionally jarring). Through turns, the car feels flat and handling performance is again hugely improved over stock. I hesitate to give a final judgment on comparing performance characteristics with the V3 yet bc I havent put a lot of miles on the new setup. I do not think the V3 gave significantly better performance for street driving. Not sure if it makes sense but the Spring/Shock set up actually feels more predictable than V3 did to me. I do not track the car, so I may not feel the "at the limit gains" or maximum possibilities with either setup and cant project which might be better at this point. The V3 with more adjustability presumably wins that, again I had it set softer than recommended. Also, Im more of a set it and forget it type of person at this point though adjusting the Konis looks very easy to do.

Summary. V3 was great performance wise but to me did not feel like a factory type of ride. If someone was in the car like my wife or a friend who knew little about cars they could tell I had done something to my car and would comment on it. Nothing terrible, but just some issues with comfort. Not necessarily worse however than stock suspension with RFT - which is the factory ride, lol. My wife still loved driving the car with the V3s but didnt think I was crazy when I removed them. Dinan/Koni/UUC front sway at least initially seems to have solved the comfort issues, not sure I ve lost much if any performance in comparison to V3 - at least as can be experienced on streets. I am anticipating it improves a little after an alignment, although its riding very nicely right now. Still planning to add M3 rear bushings and UUC rear sway (since I already bought them) when I can get my hands on a bushing tool but in no rush since what I ve done already is probably enough for my needs.

When I was at same stage as OP in decision making process, I really focused mostly on coilover setups almost based on popular opinion on the forum here. I dismissed considering all shock/spring combos bc so many people would chime in and say something like - "just do it right the first time and get coilovers" without any detail or explanation. For me, it was a mistake that cost me several months and also repeat labor costs but still a fun journey. I encourage the OP or anyone else considering this to really read through the forums and be open minded about different people s perspectives and especially establish the goals you are looking to achieve. The best set up is the one that matches your goals, not someone else's.
Appreciate 1
      05-15-2015, 07:44 AM   #5
Volrath
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335i

Garage List
2009 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335xs2dinan View Post
Hey, this may add to the confusion but hopefully helps somewhat. Hesitate to answer as there was a pre emptive DB stamp on whoever was going to write this post but here goes!

I ve had both a KW V3 set up and just recently, went to a Koni/Dinan spring set up. The V3s definitely gave a nice looking drop. For me that was not my primary concern - I was looking for improved performance, a more stable ride compared to stock over rough roads, and did not want to sacrifice much comfort. Full disclosure, I also had a newborn about 6 wks before the V3s went on - usually she rides in my wife s X3 not e92 but I also wanted her to be able to ride with me if needed.

The ride w V3 generally was acceptable but IMO significantly less comfortable than stock. I had them set at max height/minimal drop and dampers adjusted to one setting softer than KW recs for compression and rebound. The biggest issue was I felt that it was easy to feel the suspension bottom out and feel jarring. I had run flat tires w stock suspension when I first purchased the car and then quickly ditched the RFT bc some bumps would feel like a minor collision. Even with standard tires (19" rims) those qualities seemed to come back when I had the KW V3s. The V3s did provide a big improvement in cornering, handling performance and was very fun to drive on smooth windy roads, traffic circles and maneuvering on the freeway. They were not an issue for Michigan winter driving at all with regards to clearance. I use 17" wheels for the winter and the comfort was a lot better with that compared to the 19" summer setup. I did really like and enjoy the V3s and felt they were a significant upgrade but the comfort bothered me and I went back to stock after about 6-7k miles/5-6 months.

The new setup just installed is Dinan top adjustable rear shocks, Koni yellow xi specific front struts, Dinan springs, Dinan fixed camber plates, M3/Z4 bumpstops, Dinan rear upper shock mounts and UUC front sway bar. Its probably too early to really give a definitive full review of what I think of this suspension as I havent yet gotten an alignment since the install. Firstly, the drop looks a little odd even compared to stock bc the rear has minimal wheel well gap (less than a fingerbreath)/borderline tucked and the front doesnt look like it came down much from stock. More importantly, this set up soaks up bumpy roads much better than either stock (too bouncy, too long to recover) or the V3 (more harsh/occassionally jarring). Through turns, the car feels flat and handling performance is again hugely improved over stock. I hesitate to give a final judgment on comparing performance characteristics with the V3 yet bc I havent put a lot of miles on the new setup. I do not think the V3 gave significantly better performance for street driving. Not sure if it makes sense but the Spring/Shock set up actually feels more predictable than V3 did to me. I do not track the car, so I may not feel the "at the limit gains" or maximum possibilities with either setup and cant project which might be better at this point. The V3 with more adjustability presumably wins that, again I had it set softer than recommended. Also, Im more of a set it and forget it type of person at this point though adjusting the Konis looks very easy to do.

Summary. V3 was great performance wise but to me did not feel like a factory type of ride. If someone was in the car like my wife or a friend who knew little about cars they could tell I had done something to my car and would comment on it. Nothing terrible, but just some issues with comfort. Not necessarily worse however than stock suspension with RFT - which is the factory ride, lol. My wife still loved driving the car with the V3s but didnt think I was crazy when I removed them. Dinan/Koni/UUC front sway at least initially seems to have solved the comfort issues, not sure I ve lost much if any performance in comparison to V3 - at least as can be experienced on streets. I am anticipating it improves a little after an alignment, although its riding very nicely right now. Still planning to add M3 rear bushings and UUC rear sway (since I already bought them) when I can get my hands on a bushing tool but in no rush since what I ve done already is probably enough for my needs.

When I was at same stage as OP in decision making process, I really focused mostly on coilover setups almost based on popular opinion on the forum here. I dismissed considering all shock/spring combos bc so many people would chime in and say something like - "just do it right the first time and get coilovers" without any detail or explanation. For me, it was a mistake that cost me several months and also repeat labor costs but still a fun journey. I encourage the OP or anyone else considering this to really read through the forums and be open minded about different people s perspectives and especially establish the goals you are looking to achieve. The best set up is the one that matches your goals, not someone else's.
Good review
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2015, 09:21 AM   #6
Sidewinderpb
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i xDrive 6mt

Quote:

Sorry was not directed at you lol. Great writeup!
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2015, 02:09 PM   #7
ironduke2010
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E92 xDrive

Quote:

Thanks, great input. I feel like I'm in a very similar situation as you once were, for a lot of the same reasons.

I still have the run flats on, and I personally can't detect any "harshness" that correctly inflated tires can't resolve. But I sure can feel the wobble almost every day.

I'll be interested in your dinan + more setup review. Last I saw, dinan didn't offer struts up front.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2015, 03:40 PM   #8
335xs2dinan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 335xi, 22 G80 M3

ironduke - I used Koni Yellow struts specific for xi up front.

In my communication with Dinan, they say they will make xi specific modified Koni s at some point but who knows when that will be. Mike at x-ph gave me the best prices for the Koni Yellows. Autotalent also has the superior top adjustable (from trunk) rear shocks that are similar to what Dinan and TCKline use in there kits and sells the full front/rear kit for a good price (though its not Dinan specific).

My car originally had Bridgestone RE050 RFTs - they were brittle, harsh, jarring, etc. Just simply going to Michelin Pilot Super Sports (had 18" wheels at the time) on the stock suspension was a good upgrade for comfort purposes. You may consider that first if you re comfortable not having a spare.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2015, 06:50 PM   #9
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335 e90

Quote:

OMG i'm researching this exact same thing right now and i'm in the exact same situation and goals as you are. Please PM me your parts list, pricing, and vendors used so i can go with this same setup.

So far i have ruled out KW and Bilstein coilovers, i was thinking about going with Ohlins Road and Track. But my goals are to smooth out those explosions on the front shocks when going over bumps. i'm running staggered 18" style 162's running non-rft MPS AS/3's in NY/NJ, i just blew out my driver front shock and its leaking. I have 103k miles on my FBO 335xi e90.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2015, 01:21 AM   #10
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335 e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazman View Post
OMG i'm researching this exact same thing right now and i'm in the exact same situation and goals as you are. Please PM me your parts list, pricing, and vendors used so i can go with this same setup.

So far i have ruled out KW and Bilstein coilovers, i was thinking about going with Ohlins Road and Track. But my goals are to smooth out those explosions on the front shocks when going over bumps. i'm running staggered 18" style 162's running non-rft MPS AS/3's in NY/NJ, i just blew out my driver front shock and its leaking. I have 103k miles on my FBO 335xi e90.
I spoke with Ohlins this week about their Road & Track for an XI, seem like no one makes anything for the fronts so they just don't sell a kit for it. That means Ohlins is ruled out. considering how many folks on this forum alone are looking for an XI/Xdrive option... seems like it would be lucrative of some suspension shop would actually make something for the fronts that had more travel (even if it raised the car up 0.5" - 1" and/or had shorter bump stops). Couple that with springs which are slower to compress and you might actually have a winner with tons in sales.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2015, 11:21 AM   #11
carguy138
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

I too just installed a similar setup and it is freaking awesome.

Dinan springs, koni yellows set at 75% from soft, dinan rear shock mounts, whiteline rear subframe bushing inserts and oem m3 sedan rear swaybar.

Perfect setup for me. Stiff but feels very oem +. Rides similar to a e90 m3 in terms of ride comfort.
Appreciate 1