E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Cheapest way to get RCA or HDMI video input on CCC Idrive?

10-18-2012, 04:35 AM   #1
Yngvejos
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E91 325i, E87 118d

Cheapest way to get RCA or HDMI video input on CCC Idrive?

I'm planning to install a Raspberry pi as a carputer in my e90 for music and showing OBD info.
I have the ccc navi pro without ipod integration, tv or bluetooth. I need a video interface with either RCA or HDMI input to show the image from the computer. No need for multiple inputs and other fancy options.
What is the cheapest interface to cover my needs? There are so many expensive options to choose from, but all of them seems overkill for my use.
      10-18-2012, 08:27 AM   #2
Alpine328i
Noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: Graduated to a 335i

What is your budget? I am working with a reseller on a new option that will do what other expensive options will but for less.. mainly adding RVC, Video In (RCA), Video Out (RCA).
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 08:57 AM   #3
Yngvejos
Private First Class
Rep

My budget are as low as possible. I think around $100 would be reasonable for a single video input.
Total costs for the carputer is $80, so the video input will be the most expensive part of the setup.
      10-18-2012, 04:44 PM   #4
onetwentie
Straight 6
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 330d MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yngvejos View Post
I'm planning to install a Raspberry pi as a carputer in my e90 for music and showing OBD info.
I have the ccc navi pro without ipod integration, tv or bluetooth. I need a video interface with either RCA or HDMI input to show the image from the computer. No need for multiple inputs and other fancy options.
What is the cheapest interface to cover my needs? There are so many expensive options to choose from, but all of them seems overkill for my use.
OMG!! you took the words right out of my mouth! lol

I've been planning a carputer install for many years, long before I got my E91 (even did some bench testing with a carputer build and the E91 and a touchscreen) but never really found enough on the forum regarding the MOST network and relocating the HU to the boot.

I have a PI too! currently set up as a media server connected to my TV (in the house), was thinking that it would be a brilliant CP!
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 04:49 PM   #5
terminator2k2
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 e90

i was thinking along the lines of using a pi with xbmc on the ccc nav, but the cost of the addons to enable av input on the ccc itself was just to expensive.im not that good of a techie...but could you imagine using a pi with xbmc and using the idrive controller to control the pi via the gpio or along them lines......would be a super addition to older cars with ccc nav.

so alpine328i would love to see what you have to offer....
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 04:58 PM   #6
onetwentie
Straight 6
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by terminator2k2 View Post
i was thinking along the lines of using a pi with xbmc on the ccc nav, but the cost of the addons to enable av input on the ccc itself was just to expensive.im not that good of a techie...but could you imagine using a pi with xbmc and using the idrive controller to control the pi via the gpio or along them lines......would be a super addition to older cars with ccc nav.

so alpine328i would love to see what you have to offer....
true say! xbmc on the pi is a real treat. I was actually considering upgrading my CCC to the CID thus keeping the stock look and being able to improve on the amount of music given that the CID has a built in HDD.

my CP project has been on hold way too long. Currently considering the Alpine upgrade and the SWS-8's for under seat base too.

So much to do! and such little time!
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 05:05 PM   #7
terminator2k2
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 e90

@onetwentie, off topic slightly, but if you dont have tweeters already in the car , the alpine upgrade for me was great.....goes from more or less no treble to very nice treble.....i even added a 12" kenwood sub in the boot which is nice........everything sounds a lot better now.....
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 05:16 PM   #8
onetwentie
Straight 6
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by terminator2k2 View Post
@onetwentie, off topic slightly, but if you dont have tweeters already in the car , the alpine upgrade for me was great.....goes from more or less no treble to very nice treble.....i even added a 12" kenwood sub in the boot which is nice........everything sounds a lot better now.....
thanks for the info mate. I have tweeters, front and rear (E91). I still however for the life of me can't figure out if I have HiFi or TopHiFi/L7? I've read the tis off the Audio Sticky but can't tell - am I missing something?

I was also considering a sub in the boot, possibly in the compartment which you open to get to the cd changer - saw a thread on here a while back where some guy did this on his E91 and it looked the part! apparently sounded good too!
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2012, 03:12 PM   #9
Alpine328i
Noob
United_States
Rep

Well the seller has approached me with a unit but its running around $150 for pre-order/testing price. Although they are also working on getting a MOST box that will allow for an RCA aux input directly into the optics.. Ill try and get some more information...
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2012, 03:13 PM   #10
Alpine328i
Noob
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetwentie View Post
thanks for the info mate. I have tweeters, front and rear (E91). I still however for the life of me can't figure out if I have HiFi or TopHiFi/L7? I've read the tis off the Audio Sticky but can't tell - am I missing something?

I was also considering a sub in the boot, possibly in the compartment which you open to get to the cd changer - saw a thread on here a while back where some guy did this on his E91 and it looked the part! apparently sounded good too!
If you have a speaker in the center of your dash (between your air vents up there), then you have L7 and the optical system. If not, then you have the HiFi most likely which is not optically based.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2012, 03:42 PM   #11
Yngvejos
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine328i View Post
Well the seller has approached me with a unit but its running around $150 for pre-order/testing price. Although they are also working on getting a MOST box that will allow for an RCA aux input directly into the optics.. Ill try and get some more information...
$150 isn't too bad. Is it ready for sale?
More info and price for the most box?
      10-21-2012, 06:00 PM   #12
Alpine328i
Noob
United_States
Rep

I will double check on availability and pricing this week. I know that $150 price was with zero mark up, but if you get in with me during the testing phase i dont see why it would be any more expensive... yet. For the MOST adapter, the seller is checking to see if he can get his hands on a 4channel one, or just a 2 channel one.

Will keep you guys posted.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2012, 07:44 AM   #13
onetwentie
Straight 6
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine328i View Post
If you have a speaker in the center of your dash (between your air vents up there), then you have L7 and the optical system. If not, then you have the HiFi most likely which is not optically based.
Strangely enough, only yesterday I pried that grill open to see if there was a speaker under there - and there is not. There is a MOST network in the car, though i'm guessing you were referring to a full MOST network for the audio? so given the above does it mean I have the HiFi? isn't this the one that is said to be the easiest to upgrade?
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2012, 10:05 AM   #14
Alpine328i
Noob
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetwentie View Post
Strangely enough, only yesterday I pried that grill open to see if there was a speaker under there - and there is not. There is a MOST network in the car, though i'm guessing you were referring to a full MOST network for the audio? so given the above does it mean I have the HiFi? isn't this the one that is said to be the easiest to upgrade?
Correct, as long as there is no speaker in the center (which is visible if you have it, no need to pry up the panel), then you do not have L7. L7 is optical, so it is referred to as a MOST system.

You can upgrade your HiFi with any aftermarket kit, the only thing you will lose is the BMW Connect (or whatever it is called) and get an SOS error. You could always relocate your stock radio to the trunk just for this purpose if you wanted to as well.

No L7 (center where speaker would be is just plastic):

L7 (center where speaker is located is mesh for sound):
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2012, 10:16 AM   #15
onetwentie
Straight 6
United Kingdom
Rep

aha! brilliant. I hadn't realised that there was a speaker grill in the middle for those that did have it.

you touched on the relocation of the stock HU to the trunk, and i've looked at the options (read the thread on the METRA). what gets me though is how do you extend the wires? do you just get regular cable and extend them?

what about the FAKRA connectors? how do you extend them?
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2013, 03:42 PM   #16
w01f
Rep
Drives: 3-Series Touring 2010

Hello,

Just chasing this thread to see if there is indeed a way to play HDMI (or RCA) video through the E91 Sat Nav display please?
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2016, 10:56 AM   #17
E60525d
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330d M Sport LCI

Any update on this?
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2016, 04:16 PM   #18
RunFlatOut
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW E92 330d coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by E60525d View Post
Any update on this?

I bumped into a ton of different ones while looking for other stuff over the last few days. 5mn with Google will give you a ton of options, but it all depends on your requirements and budget. There are some that even allow you to call up the external video source by keeping the iDrive button pressed a few seconds. There are some that allow for split screen viewing if you have the 8.8" LCD pro nav. If you get stuck I can dig out some options for you, but I promise you there's a decent amount of choice out there, although not necessarily cheap. I'll drop a couple examples to get you started.

http://www.xcarlink.co.uk/product.ph...&cat=16&page=1
(Out of stock though, not sure if that means retired)

https://www.kufatec.de/shop/en/bmw/1...essional-basic

http://shop.conexx-video.de/multimed...-systemen.html

http://car-solutions.com/en/car-vide...ve-support.php

http://www.caraudio-systems.de/c1-ccc_eng.html

That was just 3 mn worth of links, although I had my suppliers list handy. I guarantee you there's more out there.
Appreciate 0