E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Metallic particles in oil filter

11-03-2017, 04:59 PM   #1
kermeli
Rep
Drives: Bmw E90 -08 330i

Metallic particles in oil filter

Hey,

So i bought my e90 -08 330i with 160k kilometres on the clock 2 months ago.

The starter died soon after, and i asked the shop to change the oil while they're at it ( last change at 151k) And they found some metallic particles all the way in the oil filter.

The car feels absolutely fine to drive, nothing bad to say really. The lifters make some noise, no other noises than the lifters, and it also goes away after the engine warms up properly. I asked the BMW mechanics and they agreed, they only heard lifer ticking. The car has had the Forte treatment done at 100k ish.

pics of filter
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

last pic is the worst spot, its almost all the way clean, except that what you see in the image obviously.

I was thinking im gonna drive 2k kilometres and do another oil change by myself and see if theres more metal in there, maybe do another forte treatment.

What you guys think ?

I contacted the shop i bought it from and explained my situation, they deny everything so im pretty much on my own untill something really breaks. ( they wont pay to search if something is really bad in the engine, and i just paid 1160€ for new starter engine + oil change and little stuff :mad:iv had the car for 2 months.. )
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2017, 07:24 PM   #2
GATORB8
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is 6MT

Garage List
2011 BMW 335is  [9.50]
I'm not sure if there's a similar service near you, but a company called Blackstone Labs in the states does used oil analysis and can tell you what kind of metal it may be, and thus what it could be coming from. They'd probably say to put a few thousand miles on the new stuff before sending it in.

https://www.blackstone-labs.com/
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2017, 08:47 AM   #3
123Britt
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 M235i AT

WOW!

Those are some big metallic particles.
Did you check to see if a magnet would pick them up?

Appreciate 0
      11-06-2017, 07:35 AM   #4
kermeli
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123Britt View Post
Those are some big metallic particles.
Did you check to see if a magnet would pick them up?

the particle/filter were pretty moist, no i dont think magnet did pick any of if up. Kinda hard to see, the particels are actually really really tiny.

I doubt we have anything like blackstone labs here in finland
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2017, 07:30 AM   #5
kermeli
Rep

I have shown the shop i bought this car from the pictures and they said its ok/normal, also the BMW service said i shouldnt worry so i decided to keep on driving. Gonna drive 2K and change the filter again and look for any metal.

I dont wanna make a new thread but any idea where this noise is coming from?

It did go away at first after driving, but now it seems it wont, its not really loud no im not really worried atm.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2017, 05:37 AM   #6
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

If it were my car, I'd switch to using an OE MANN oil filter. That oil filter probably doesn't fit correctly.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2017, 06:43 AM   #7
Transport3r
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 N55 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
If it were my car, I'd switch to using an OE MANN oil filter. That oil filter probably doesn't fit correctly.
Yes. The plastic capped oil filters are garbage.

Appreciate 0