E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > RPI warranty issue???

04-04-2011, 01:51 PM   #1
djkrajzi
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 328xi Alpine White

RPI warranty issue???

Im looking to pick up red RPI air scoops but not sure it this will void any/all warranty that i still have on my e92 328xi.

If anyone has any experience or knowledge please post or pm me.

thanks a lot
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2011, 02:42 PM   #2
rosskie
Major
Rep
Drives: 335

there easy to take out not as much time as a intake or dp's
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2011, 07:06 PM   #3
ceb
NHTSA Nazi
Rep
Drives: 335ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by djkrajzi View Post
Im looking to pick up red RPI air scoops but not sure it this will void any/all warranty that i still have on my e92 328xi.

If anyone has any experience or knowledge please post or pm me.

thanks a lot
The dealer can claim that the scoops affected the cooling of your engine so they might refuse warranty service on engine, driveability, heating/cooling etc.

Only you can decide if the slight possibility of warranty issues is worth the "cool factor" of the red scoops. They won't give you any performance gains. If they do, then you will have warranty issues
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2011, 07:17 PM   #4
djkrajzi
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

no performance gains??? Whats all this talk about 8-15whp gain???

so there pretty much is no way for deal to tell if i remove them before taking car in?

is it screwed in or double sided tape?
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2011, 07:20 PM   #5
michaelalex17
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Manual Wagon

8-15whp hahahahha. u might want to look into some other mods. scoops do not give you that much power or everyone would have them for that price
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2011, 07:24 PM   #6
djkrajzi
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

thats why i got so excited when i saw that today.
So then why do we left vendors get away with false advertising on here???
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2011, 07:34 PM   #7
michaelalex17
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Manual Wagon

the dealer wont care about them, but i dont think they give you that much power.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2011, 09:33 PM   #8
ceb
NHTSA Nazi
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelalex17 View Post
8-15whp hahahahha. u might want to look into some other mods. scoops do not give you that much power or the factory would have installedthem for that price
Fixed it for you.

IF a mod would give you any sort of major gains like this then it would certainly cause warranty issues. Lucky for you the only change will be cosmetic.

It is virtually impossible to install any mod and then remove it for service without leaving traces.

If there is a problem with your car that is common amongst modded cars then the dealership may look for traces of that mod; and they'll find the evidence if they look hard enough.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2011, 09:37 PM   #9
JayKay335i
Banned
Egypt
Rep
Drives: ///M323 DCT

why...?
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2011, 09:42 PM   #10
spdy330
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 05 Tundra, 15 FIT, 17 CRV

Waste of money in my opinion.
If you will be purchasing ANY AT&T services online or in store could you mention that you were referred by me? My Employee Referral ID is eo4489. This would be a great help and it costs you nothing, thank you!
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2011, 09:48 PM   #11
ceb
NHTSA Nazi
Rep

Quote:
thats why i got so excited when i saw that today.
So then why do we left vendors get away with false advertising on here???
This is the problem with aftermarket mods. Nobody regulates the entire industry and the people that regulate parts of the industry (NHTSA for safety items as an example) don't have the manpower to enforce all the laws.

Accordinly, any Tom, Dick or Harry can make a device or mod and make outrageous claims. Just think of all the "gas saving scams" like magnets, tornado or gas additives. None of them work but each one claims a 20-50% gas mileage increase. The same holds true for most mods.

Before you buy a mod ask yourself:

Why didn't the manufacturer implement this mod?
What are the downsides of the mod?
How can some guy in his mother's basement design, manufacture and market a mod that is better than the item that the manufacturer spent millions on to research? How is it possible that this one design, with minor or no modifications, fit a multitude of cars and manufacturers?

Manufacturers must be really stupid to use different parts like airboxes for different vehicles if these "basement genius'" can design one that fits all. Think of the millions (billions?) that the manufacturers could save in design, manufacturing, storage and shipping costs if "one size fits all?" - and get a performance boost as well.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2011, 10:08 PM   #12
djkrajzi
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

@CEB: Well if you think of it like that then no one on here should have a single mod to their car.

Not saying i disagree with you but just saying
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2011, 10:30 PM   #13
ceb
NHTSA Nazi
Rep

Quote:
@CEB: Well if you think of it like that then no one on here should have a single mod to their car.

Not saying i disagree with you but just saying
Not quite, but too many people are lemmings or deceive themselves into believing that their mod actually does something.

Are there worthwhile mods out there? Of course, but they are expensive and come from big tuners like Dinan who actually have the ability to do proper research. However, each mod has a downside (aside from warranty issues) and one needs to carefully weigh that against any advantages.

I've modded many cars but I always had a specific goal in mind and then did the research as to how to best achieve that goal.

I've learned the hard way that you've got to pay to play so to avoid many issues, I carefully look for a car that has the options I want and I've learned not to make electrical mods to German cars.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2011, 10:38 PM   #14
Amlethae
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 335ix M-Sport

Garage List
2011 335xi  [0.00]
My $0.02 just because I'm bored:

The only sensible reasons that a manufacturer like BMW would leave out a power increasing tweak is a) to be within emissions (or other such) regulations across all of its markets, and b) keep the engine balanced between performance and endurance. I'm sure they would like to increase HP/TQ as much as we do (evident by the BMW Performance Power Kits) but anything they sell under their name/warranty must abide the laws and regulations of the markets.

So tweaks that increase exhaust flow, then intake flow (I mean air box delete, not air scoop addition), and then ECU remap/piggy back are reasonably going to gain the kind of power that BMW *might do* if they didn't have to conform to regulations. BMW however is also aware that performance increases by means of this kind will effect (and likely negatively) the life of the engine, and so I say they *might* do this kind of thing, but maybe not.
      04-04-2011, 10:49 PM   #15
mmmmm235i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 440xi GC

I wouldn't worry about warranty and if you are they take about one minute to uninstall, but if you are buying them for anything other than looks you should save your money for something else.

RETIRED:
2018 440xi GC, Carbon Black on Black/Blue
2014 M235i Black on Black, DINAN Stage 2
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2011, 10:49 PM   #16
ceb
NHTSA Nazi
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amlethae View Post
My $0.02 just because I'm bored:

The only sensible reasons that a manufacturer like BMW would leave out a power increasing tweak is a) to be within emissions (or other such) regulations across all of its markets, and b) keep the engine balanced between performance and endurance. I'm sure they would like to increase HP/TQ as much as we do (evident by the BMW Performance Power Kits) but anything they sell under their name/warranty must abide the laws and regulations of the markets.

So tweaks that increase exhaust flow, then intake flow (I mean air box delete, not air scoop addition), and then ECU remap/piggy back are reasonably going to gain the kind of power that BMW *might do* if they didn't have to conform to regulations. BMW however is also aware that performance increases by means of this kind will effect (and likely negatively) the life of the engine, and so I say they *might* do this kind of thing, but maybe not.
That about sums it up. BMW designs a car to work within certain parameters and they leave enough "squish room" to account for manufacturing differences, different fuels, altitudes and the like.

BMW's performance products (and most Dinan stuff) works within BMW's design parameters but much of the other stuff either does nothing or far exceeds those parameters leading to emission and warranty woes.
Appreciate 0