E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > Where is the internal I-drive hard drive located?!?

05-17-2009, 04:29 AM   #1
nukezero
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 3 series

Where is the internal I-drive hard drive located?!?

the reason i ask is because I know disk drives fail in 3-5 years. And when I pick up the car, I'd like to image or clone the data on the disk drive and save it for backup.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2009, 05:19 AM   #2
gspannu
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 535, F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukezero View Post
Attached CIC technical info. Hope it helps...

If you manage to get the hard drive out, would you be taking a drive image and trying to read contents to figure out its OS, POI, etc...?

Would you care to post the hard drive contents as a directory listing?
Attached Images
File Type: pdf E90 CIC info.pdf (2.13 MB, 9981 views)
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2009, 05:34 PM   #3
David1
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 09 X5

The CIC is sealed. As soon as you open it you void the warranty on it, kiss some big bucks goodby.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2009, 02:53 PM   #4
nukezero
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 3 series

looknig at the pics, the radio system seems easy to pull. Once that is removed, the bracket is where the Toshiba 2.5" hard drive sits and should slide right out easily.

The data on there should be easily imaged for backup should the hard drive fail. This drive is worth $60 USD on the market but I'm sure the dealer will charge over $1000 to replace it... only because of the contents.

This is why I am asking for the people who are capable and their vehicle is passed the warranty period, they should take image/back up this drive should it fail
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2009, 04:45 PM   #5
zuion
Registered
Germany
Rep
Drives: 320d e91 lci

I should love to see the contents of the disk for the primary reason to add my POI set. But these CIC units - at least for 3 series cars - appeared around October 2008. So warranty expires end of 2011 for most users, they will most probably not risk breaking the seal in advance.

Keep in mind that the content might be completely useless, didnt some documentation say something about encrypted content?
Even an image backup could be completely useless, if they use the disk serial number for security purposes. Or if the hard disk is password locked on cold start.

But let us see what happens, when the first nerd has his disk connected to the desktop. Not everybody cares about warranty, they do chip tuning, DVD unlocks, so why not break the disk seal of a relatively unimportant subunit?

I still hope for more insight when the first update DVD appears, perhaps this will be a chance for enhancements to be added on a more natural way.
Appreciate 0