E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Ipod Connection

01-27-2011, 02:16 PM   #1
bh021
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330d Msport

Ipod Connection

Hi

I'm new here, so don't start saying I'm stupid, not straight away anyway, give me time,,,,,

Just bought my first BMW, a 325d msport, love the car, goes great and sounds nice too....just a question

I have connected my Iphone 4 to the aux in connection, but I'm getting a lot of hiss, when I plug my Sony walkman mo3 player in, i get no hiss. Is this a Iphone issue, will a decent lead fix the problem, I would rather use my Iphone, but if it's an issue with the iphone, and a lead won't sort the problem, I'll just stick to the sony walkman

Cheers, Brett
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2011, 03:50 PM   #2
chris330D
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 335d

Does the 'hiss' change/go away if you adjust the volume on the walkman? The car will amplify the signal it is given so if the signal is weak you can get hiss.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2011, 04:00 PM   #3
bh021
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

seems to come and go on the iphone, but not present at all on the walkman, so it can't be the cars connection, i read somewhere you can buy a lead from bmw which allows you to control the ipod from your steering wheel ? or the guy at sytner said it would be £400 ish to get the proper ipod connector fitting, anyone know whether this is worth the money - seems quite expensive, but i like my music to sound good, also what is the alpine upgrade ? some people seem to rate that ?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2011, 04:29 PM   #4
Jamze
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW 320d Touring

Sounds like the same problem I had with the AUX input on my 1-series. Immediately noticed it when I switched from an iPhone 3G to 4.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....art=0&tstart=0
1999 VW Golf Mk3 2.0 Cabriolet, Jazz Blue (gone)
and an Orange P7 mountain bike!
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2011, 04:47 PM   #5
bh021
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Cheers for that, I'll probably just use the sony walkman, just a bit a of a pain, as I wanted to use the iphone, but I'll keep my eyes open for a fix, If anyone has installed a new audio system over the professional one that comes with the car, can you let me know, it sounds good as it is, but would be intersted if it can get better by not spending a shed load
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2011, 03:45 AM   #6
Boyd1963
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2011 320d e92

Garage List
Sep 2011 E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett_h4 View Post
Cheers for that, I'll probably just use the sony walkman, just a bit a of a pain, as I wanted to use the iphone, but I'll keep my eyes open for a fix, If anyone has installed a new audio system over the professional one that comes with the car, can you let me know, it sounds good as it is, but would be interested if it can get better by not spending a shed load

You have probably already check this but have you checked your equalisation settings on the iPhone? I had exactly the same problem with my iPod and fixed it by modifying the setting on the Graphic Equaliser. I have heard that the iPhone doesn't have a Graphic equaliser but instead has preset equalization curves.

FYI I have got the BMW iPod interface and it is ok but not great. I don't have the iDrive so navigating between tracks can be a bit of a pain. One of the other members recommended Playlists and these work pretty well. An MP3 CD gives a very similar interface.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2011, 06:38 AM   #7
bh021
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

I've messed about with the EQ settings on the Iphone, but it does little to improve it, I might mess about with the settings on the car, maybe lower the volume on that, then increase the volume on the iphone, otherwise, I'll stick to the sony....I have I drive, but it would seem there is little benefit to getting the ipod option fitted through BMW
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2011, 07:42 AM   #8
mobileadam
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 320d e92 M Sport

Hello and welcome.

Are you just connecting an audio lead from the iPhone headphone socket to the 3.5mm socket in the car?

Could you try using a dock connector which then just converts to a suitable 3.5mm lead? I can't remember if the dock connector is a line level out but at least it is another output / option to try.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2011, 10:10 AM   #9
bh021
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

to be honest I've tried what someone suggest in the link above, lowering the volume in for the aux settings in the car, and whacking the stereo volume up and that seems better, Seems to be the best way. I may try the lead you mention, I think you can get cheap ones off amazon, so I may give that a whirl as well cheers....
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2011, 11:21 AM   #10
sir_les
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 56 325i Coupe

I dont have iDrive but when I bought my car it had a Parrot MKi9200 fitted. This plays my iphone 4 or any other mp3 player through the BMW stereo with great sound quality and also woeks as a hands free kit. Not sure how much they are to purchase but I bet they are cheaper than the BMW option.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2011, 06:28 AM   #11
Barnsleyshaun
Private First Class
England
Rep
Drives: F30 330E MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_les View Post
I dont have iDrive but when I bought my car it had a Parrot MKi9200 fitted. This plays my iphone 4 or any other mp3 player through the BMW stereo with great sound quality and also woeks as a hands free kit. Not sure how much they are to purchase but I bet they are cheaper than the BMW option.
Just searched that parrot kit and it looks really quite good - comes with a display screen - one question can you attach the ipod and pair a seperate phone with the bluetooth at the same time?

link to a vid showing it here

F30 330E MSport

Last edited by Barnsleyshaun; 01-31-2011 at 06:31 AM.. Reason: included a link
Appreciate 0