E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - NY / NJ / CT / PA > ticket months ago, court date nears...

12-31-2008, 03:04 AM   #1
MCMLXXXIX
wat
Rep
Drives: a gr3at whit3 5hark

ticket months ago, court date nears...

well i got a speeding ticket doing 80 on a 55 on the Garden State Parkway. this was back in september. i had a courtdate set for October 3rd. i went to the court that day and to see if there was a prosecutor i can talk to so i can lower my points. there was none. i was told to go pay it. the lady at the payments office told me if i want to lower the points, then i should plead no guilty, and so i did. i got a courtdate sent to me for sometime in nov. i couldnt make it because i had a midterm exam that same night. i called them up and rescheduled it. they gave me a new date for January 14th 2009.

i wasnt planning on this to happen. i mean i was in fact going 80 but i just want lower points. the last time i got a speeding ticket there was a prosecutor i was able to talk to who lowered the points. did i make a mistake by pleading not guilty? and what will happen if i show up, not knowing wtf is going on lol. is there time to change anything if i should?

2012 Toyota Highlander SE - PAST - 2008 e92 335i, 2006 e90 325i
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2008, 09:52 AM   #2
328i
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E46 ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCMLXXXIX View Post
well i got a speeding ticket doing 80 on a 55 on the Garden State Parkway. this was back in september. i had a courtdate set for October 3rd. i went to the court that day and to see if there was a prosecutor i can talk to so i can lower my points. there was none. i was told to go pay it. the lady at the payments office told me if i want to lower the points, then i should plead no guilty, and so i did. i got a courtdate sent to me for sometime in nov. i couldnt make it because i had a midterm exam that same night. i called them up and rescheduled it. they gave me a new date for January 14th 2009.

i wasnt planning on this to happen. i mean i was in fact going 80 but i just want lower points. the last time i got a speeding ticket there was a prosecutor i was able to talk to who lowered the points. did i make a mistake by pleading not guilty? and what will happen if i show up, not knowing wtf is going on lol. is there time to change anything if i should?
Try to change the date again, delaying it increases the chance of the cop not showing up. I would suggest possibly getting a lawyer as well.
      12-31-2008, 10:33 AM   #3
danniexi
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 F97 X3M Comp LCI

Garage List
80 on a 55? Ouch, if it was a minor offense, you couldve talked to the prosecutor, but this is pretty bad. Either get a lawyer or negotiate for an unsafe driving offense. Either way be prepared to pay around $500 for either option. This is a 4 point offense so I'd act quickly. Good luck!
BMW MY06 E46 325XI - GONE
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2008, 12:20 PM   #4
rooster3.0
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

80 in a 55 isn't anything major anymore. You can easily get this dropped to a 2 point ticket. No need for a lawyer either. Just show up an hour before court starts and speak with the prosecutor. Your first time there was your arraignment, that's usually done over the phone with minor violations.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2008, 01:49 PM   #5
gesswh0zbizak
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 328i coupe

if you want i got a good lawyer who can take care of it his name is jeffery ziff he has been practicing traffic court law for over 25yrs if u want pm and ill give u the whole 411
      01-01-2009, 02:57 AM   #6
charles j m
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: around for no reason

I have a very similar case like yours OP. Except i went 92 on a 55 on the GSP like an idiot.

First things first, don't worry or even stress about it. Just have money in your pocket to pay off fines on Jan. 14th.

You have to plead not guilty (*especially if you want your points lowered) and did the right thing. Before they call you into court (to see the judge) you will be able to talk with the prosecutor and he/she will talk to you and tell you if you can do something called unsafe driving or not. Just go a little bit earlier. This depends on how many speeding tickets you've ever got. I'm pretty sure you're allowed to use this "get out of points free card" or whatever you would like to call it, 3 times in x amount of years (I'm not 100% on how many years). Anyways, what happens with unsafe driving is that they'll drop the points but you have to pay a fine. No lawyer is necessary, but if the prosecutor denies the unsafe driving because he/she thinks its way too fast/above the speed limit (which i doubt since you were only doing 80) then they will adjourn it and say you are looking to "seek legal advice" which basically means just get a lawyer pay him xxx amount of dollars and then xxx amount for the ticket.

In Conclusion: You'll probably just dump around 800 dollars tops, and come out with 0 points.

I hope this helps you out & GL.

current: '07 e92 335i - '10 e92 m3 - '08 ducati 848
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2009, 01:35 PM   #7
MCMLXXXIX
wat
Rep
Drives: a gr3at whit3 5hark

alright well courts this wednesday. i didnt get a lawyer or change the date. im just gonna try and show up earlier and talk to a prosecutor. hopefully its a lot easier this time

$800?? damn. i dont even mind if i get 2 points. this is my second speeding ticket. the first one i got was in march 2007

well thanks for the advise guys, ill guess well see what happens then

2012 Toyota Highlander SE - PAST - 2008 e92 335i, 2006 e90 325i
Appreciate 0