E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > You think your BMW is fast? This is truly amazing stuff.

03-10-2012, 10:53 AM   #45
mike the snake
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i

Lots of landing mishaps. If you watch some of the vids, landing is always basically a controlled crash. Usually, with flaps and skill, we can land the planes without issue, but it doesn't always work out perfectly.

No real accidents yet (knock on wood) as it wouldn't be pretty.

Crashes happen, usually the plane blows up in the air, usually from flutter or structural failure, radio failures happen too. The airframes see 50-60 constant G's, and up to 100G's. Occasionally pilot error will plant a plane deep into the ground. Turbulence and wind rotors can wrap planes straight into the ground before you can react.

Years ago, in a crash with a small (80" span) plane, I split a basketball sized rock in half, and the fuse went another 2 feet into the ground. The crazy thing was, the rock was IN the ground, the ground was pushed out where the rock was, with the nose 2 feet below the rock. It took an hour to dig it out!

It would be near impossible to actually aim and hit something for demonstration at these speeds.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2012, 03:15 PM   #46
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: white 135

If I make it out that way in the near future, I'm stopping by to see this
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2012, 09:56 AM   #47
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

if you jet it off at 400mph, how "long" (distance/time) does it take to slow it back down to land it safely. i'd imagine if you let it go straight at that speed it would fly out of range pretty quick.

that thing would cut someone clean in half if it crashed right...
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2012, 01:09 PM   #48
mike the snake
Captain
Rep

To slow the planes down, we "punch out", or break out of the orbits, out to the frontside of the hill (where the lift is) and zig-zag around, scrubbing off speed. If you go straight, the planes are out of sight in less than a second.

For landings, we have flaps, which drop down and effectively slow the planes down, once they're slowed down from DS. If one were to deploy the flaps at speed, areodynamic forces simply wouldn't allow the flaps to actuate, I've tried. That just stalls the servos and can cause them to overheat and die.

Many a plane has been lost from losing sight. These planes fly flat and level at well over 100, I was radared at 212 in a simple dive. 500 will fall soon, people are already looking at designs for 600.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2012, 01:15 PM   #49
mike the snake
Captain
Rep

This vid is of Joe Manor's Dynamic 160. A huge plane he built a few years ago. Not the cleanest design, but the noise it made was insane. I had a chance to fly this plane. Bigger planes are easier to fly, more stable. This plane I thinks set a few world records when the record was around 300.

At the end of the vid, he punches out to the frontside.

Appreciate 0