E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > Stock springs: Koni FSD or Bilstein sports?

11-08-2017, 11:47 AM   #23
nynyny
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xDrive E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiNeTyOne View Post
Crap roads=pretty much anywhere in North America, the way we've been neglecting infrastructure.

I would agree as the B6's are essentially 30 year old damper technology, where the FSD's are the direct result of co-development with MacLaren F1 during their MP4-23 program. It's a big step forward in damper design.

Here's an old PDF from when they were initially released

..and an old article from Racecar Engineering: http://www.racecar-engineering.com/a...koni-dampers/#

While they are not adjustable like the Ohlins DFV R&T's, you can put them on Xdrive cars. Mine are now well north of 10k miles and they are still performing as well as the week they were installed. I have absolutely no idea what people mean by them being "bumpy." They are very, very well mannered, and they do an extraordinary job of reducing body roll for a damper when paired with decent springs like the Eibach's. Honestly, I'm pretty confident I'd be faster around the track on these than any of the Bilsteins.

You do want to be sure to replace the upper rear strut bushings with high durometer poly as they really need to be locked down to work optimally. I had OE rubber bushings for the first 500 miles and swapped them for Strongflex yellow, and it made them behave even better in the back.
Always enjoy reading your takes on suspension and AWD mods.

Eventually going to install FSD's... and per your suggestion to other posters Eibach springs. IYO would the strongflex yellows be too hard for a DD?
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2017, 12:34 AM   #24
NiNeTyOne
Touring cars rock
United_States
Rep
Drives: e91 330xi / 997 GT3 Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by nynyny View Post
Always enjoy reading your takes on suspension and AWD mods.

Eventually going to install FSD's... and per your suggestion to other posters Eibach springs. IYO would the strongflex yellows be too hard for a DD?
NO, especially for thrust arm bushings and the upper rear strut mounts. There is no discernible increase in NVH and you want the dampers locked in with a dual circuit damper.