E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > xi with sport package advice please ....

08-31-2009, 06:14 PM   #1
alanchan
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 323i

xi with sport package advice please ....

I am planning to trade up for a coupe and I am looking at this E92 328xi.

I don't get it, can someone please clarify?

Xi suppose to be ALL wheel drive for winter use as well
I am also considering this M package.
Isn't it with the sport package, the car's suspension will be lower?
assume I put snow tires (another set of wheels) on my car.

I was told by the dealer that if the snow is higher than the underside of the skirt, xi will have trouble moving in the snow.

what's the point getting a xi as oppose to a RWD E92 328i?

Am I paying $3000 extra for the xi badge??

thanks in advance.
323i, Arctic metallic , Cream beige leatherette interior , Titanium matt trim , Premium , Auto , 18" style 189 sport wheels , 335i bumper + kidney grills, CF pillars, Chrome window trim package , LCI halogen.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2009, 06:49 PM   #2
MassBimmer
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 i4 M50

Garage List
2009 BMW  [9.24]
The snow would have to be awfully high for it to stop an xi. Even if you were in snow up to the bumper line, I bet it could get out. Then again, if you're worried about being buried in snow, you should probably buy an SUV. You would likely need to get winter tires if you opt for the M sport package because, even though the xi's are AWD, BMW still outfits the M sport package with summer performance tires that should NOT be driven in the snow(stupid I know). Or just put all seasons on your stock rims, run those year round and sell the summer tires.

The xi models do not get the sport suspension, regardless of whether you choose the sport package or M sport package. All xi models have the same suspension, kind of a downside of opting for the security of all wheel drive.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2009, 07:34 PM   #3
chaz58
Captain
Rep
Drives: 328iT

The AWD cars sit 30mm higher than the sports suspension, or 15mm higher than the standard suspension. As stated. there is no sport or M suspension for the AWD cars.

If you are worried about winter, you are making a good choice with snow tires.

For your question, sure I’ve gotten stuck, but I had to try pretty hard!

In my experience, with snow tires the car is like a little snowmobile. It WILL get stuck if you compact (compress) enough snow under your car that there is no weight on the wheels. Also, deep snow can be hard on the plastic parts under the car (front bumper, plastic cover under the engine bay. With snow tires and AWD, you are going to have to get it buried pretty deep to get it stuck.

I’ve parked in fresh snow around 12” deep, and had people offer to help me get unstuck. I just smiled and said I was not stuck. :-)

enjoy!

Appreciate 0
      09-01-2009, 11:18 AM   #4
JaysBlueE92
Mr. Monaco
United_States
Rep
Drives: Slow..

Garage List
2007 E92  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassBimmer View Post
The xi models do not get the sport suspension, regardless of whether you choose the sport package or M sport package. All xi models have the same suspension, kind of a downside of opting for the security of all wheel drive.
Are you sure? my 07 xi had the sport suspension and sat lower by about 1" than my buddys stock xi setup. I also had the 18s. When I uninstalled the suspension to put in the coilovers, it clearly was a different spring rate/strut combo.
      09-01-2009, 11:27 AM   #5
Nikolas
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 996 TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaysBlueE92 View Post
Are you sure? my 07 xi had the sport suspension and sat lower by about 1" than my buddys stock xi setup. I also had the 18s. When I uninstalled the suspension to put in the coilovers, it clearly was a different spring rate/strut combo.
Yes he is correct. Maybe your car settled? 1" seems too much though. All XI's have the exact same suspension, sport package or not.

Maybe it was an illusion comparing the 18's to the 17's?
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2009, 11:50 AM   #6
reprod
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M3 ZCP

Here is another thing to think about. All coupes automatically get the sport suspension. Does that mean that my e92 335xi has the sedan stock suspension? I drove a stock 328i with no sport and the suspension setup was definitely different. Suspension was very "mushy" over dips and stability just wasnt there.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2009, 11:53 AM   #7
GregL
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 CLA45 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaz58 View Post
The AWD cars sit 30mm higher than the sports suspension, or 15mm higher than the standard suspension. As stated. there is no sport or M suspension for the AWD cars.

If you are worried about winter, you are making a good choice with snow tires.

For your question, sure I’ve gotten stuck, but I had to try pretty hard!

In my experience, with snow tires the car is like a little snowmobile. It WILL get stuck if you compact (compress) enough snow under your car that there is no weight on the wheels. Also, deep snow can be hard on the plastic parts under the car (front bumper, plastic cover under the engine bay. With snow tires and AWD, you are going to have to get it buried pretty deep to get it stuck.

I’ve parked in fresh snow around 12” deep, and had people offer to help me get unstuck. I just smiled and said I was not stuck. :-)

enjoy!
+1 I completely agree! I've actually made it out on certain snowy days just to drive around the neighbourhood and show-up the 2WD cars that are stuck all over the place and have some fun on the yet to be plowed roads. It's also nice to be able to use the front wheels to pull through a turn.

I have a steep driveway and there were times when I came to a complete stop in several inches of untouched snow while waiting for the garage door to open, a casual press of the gas pedal and the car would continue on it's way up and in.

Over the past 3 winters I have never EVER managed to get my xi with snow tires stuck. I will definitely need new tires for this coming winter though, and I'm thinking of going studless ice & snow vs performance winter, it would be nice to have the extra ice traction.
2006 BMW 330xi - Gone
2001 Infiniti QX4 - Gone
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2009, 11:55 AM   #8
Nikolas
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 996 TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprod View Post
Here is another thing to think about. All coupes automatically get the sport suspension. Does that mean that my e92 335xi has the sedan stock suspension? I drove a stock 328i with no sport and the suspension setup was definitely different. Suspension was very "mushy" over dips and stability just wasnt there.
Yes the XI suspension is different from the non-sport i suspension. However, all XI's have the same suspension which is not a sport suspension in any way, shape or form. This is why the sport option for the XI costs less than the sport option for the I. You get everything in the package, except the suspension.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2009, 04:17 PM   #9
reprod
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolas View Post
Yes the XI suspension is different from the non-sport i suspension. However, all XI's have the same suspension which is not a sport suspension in any way, shape or form. This is why the sport option for the XI costs less than the sport option for the I. You get everything in the package, except the suspension.
Thanks for the clarification Nikolas... Either way I switched out to KWv1s. I have my stock suspension in the basement. I can post spring numbers if anyone is interested.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2009, 07:18 PM   #10
Zink330xi
Napoleon
United_States
Rep
Drives: the TiAg Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolas View Post
You get everything in the package, except the suspension.
Yeah, that sucks. We pay less and get a hard ass ride.

KWs on my wish list....
      09-01-2009, 07:33 PM   #11
jgalaxy
Gearing
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, F22 M240

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zink330xi View Post
Yeah, that sucks. We pay less and get a hard ass ride.

KWs on my wish list....
It truly sucks. Indeed. I have my OEM suspension for sale cheap cheap ...

For those that will be interested for track perfromance you will want to switch out your floaty suspension, opt for non run flats and go non staggered. Bon chance les boys.
      09-04-2009, 02:57 PM   #12
chaz58
Captain
Rep
Drives: 328iT

Personally, I hate the studless tires as they are incredibly squirmy, and have very very soft sidewalls, destroying turn in. Still, for people than never go beyond 50% of the car's capabilities in the winter, or of you need extra ice traction they can be very useful. The are MUCH better on ice than regular snow tires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregL View Post
Over the past 3 winters I have never EVER managed to get my xi with snow tires stuck. I will definitely need new tires for this coming winter though, and I'm thinking of going studless ice & snow vs performance winter, it would be nice to have the extra ice traction.

Appreciate 0
      09-07-2009, 09:07 PM   #13
MMOTION
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: like you'll never drive again

anyone know if front struts off a E92 xi interchangeable with a xi sedan?
Appreciate 0