E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > alignment / vibration / steering issues

07-12-2008, 11:59 AM   #1
meshguy
Private
Rep
Drives: e92 335

alignment / vibration / steering issues

I hit a speed bump last week going way too fast. I was able to slam on my brakes and got my speed down to about 25mph before impact. I did not let off the brakes while going over the bump - maybe i should have.

Immediately after hitting it, my car drove like crap. I was getting vibrations comming from both the steering wheel and the floor/seats, and the steering was loose, vague, and wandered around. Visually, the front tires were very toed out, and the rears were toed in with negative camber.

A few days later I had an alignment done on a Hunter rack. Before the alignment, all my specs were in the red. According to the alignment spec printout sheet they gave me, they were able to get all my specs into the green (acceptable ranges), so everything should be perfect, but my front tires are very still toed out, the rears have negative camber and appear to be toed in. The ride/handling improved slightly after the alignment, but not much. I am still getting the same vibrations, crappy steering, and loud tire noise. The tires are also wearing very badly on the outside edges, even though they are toed out.

I am on KWV2 coil overs with BBS wheels. These wheels are very strong and do not appear to be bent, so I doubt they are. I have an appointment for a re-alignment and will have the wheels road force balanced this time just to be sure.

Based on my symptoms, can anyone make an educated guess on what I should have the dealer look at in case this shop cannot fix the problems with another alignment/tire balancing?
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2008, 08:32 PM   #2
E90AWMT
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW E90 Sport Premium 6sp MT

the wheels may be tweaked a bit. if you have your stock tires you may want to try them before going to the alignment shop and see/feel if with them your car drives better. that may be something to try first.

cheers
Appreciate 0