E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Suspension for Dummies

10-07-2008, 05:50 AM   #1
GreekMaverick
El Greco Capitan
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///N54

Suspension for Dummies

Hey Board, Got no IDEA where to start from (Or about suspension at all).....

2007 e92 335i Coupe
Would like the ride to be sportier not Concrete like just a less body roll, 19" Upgrade is on the list therefore a proper drop as well...

a) What's the best way that i can achieve that with
H&R or Eibach ( List any others )

b) Springs only or shocks as well ??

c) Best Offset Numbers with 19"s / Tire widths ??

d) How can i avoid to rub ??

e) Sway bars ??

Thx in advance.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2008, 12:08 PM   #2
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

IMO a shocks & springs combo will help reduce body roll and give you a sportier ride. You could go with sways but that will help with handling more a sportier ride (road feel, etc.). The Koni FSD & Eibach Pro-kit combo would be your best bet for just a springs and shocks kit. Let us know if you would like a quote on that.

As far as wheels go, if you go with 235/35/19 front and 265/30/19 rear on 19x8.5 and 19x9.5 wheels, you should go with offsets that are around 30 for the front and 35 for the rear.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2008, 12:34 PM   #3
Mr. 5
Modder Raider
Scotland
Rep
Drives: M3

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny@JleviSW View Post
IMO a shocks & springs combo will help reduce body roll and give you a sportier ride. You could go with sways but that will help with handling more a sportier ride (road feel, etc.). The Koni FSD & Eibach Pro-kit combo would be your best bet for just a springs and shocks kit. Let us know if you would like a quote on that.

As far as wheels go, if you go with 235/35/19 front and 265/30/19 rear on 19x8.5 and 19x9.5 wheels, you should go with offsets that are around 30 for the front and 35 for the rear.
30 in the front and 35 rear?
I have the oposite with the same widths.
I'm sure that's asking to rub in the front.
I have 35 in the front now with 8.5 wide and that fills up the fender quite well.

30 works well in the rear with sedans and some companies have compensated for the e92s making a 33 offset.

Best 60-130-------------9.15 Seconds------------------WWW.MR5RACING.COM
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2008, 01:21 PM   #4
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. 5 View Post
30 in the front and 35 rear?
I have the oposite with the same widths.
I'm sure that's asking to rub in the front.
I have 35 in the front now with 8.5 wide and that fills up the fender quite well.

30 works well in the rear with sedans and some companies have compensated for the e92s making a 33 offset.
Yeah for sure. That's why I said around 30 and not exactly 30. The reason is because a lot of people would get high offsets for the front which would cause the wheels to sink in. Thus an offset closer to 30 would be perfect.

The safest offset is 35 all-around but depending on the tires you can run a bit more aggressive offset in the front.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2008, 01:59 PM   #5
Ron@Modbargains
United_States
Rep
Drives: 996TT/ae86

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekMaverick View Post

Hey Board, Got no IDEA where to start from (Or about suspension at all).....

2007 e92 335i Coupe
Would like the ride to be sportier not Concrete like just a less body roll, 19" Upgrade is on the list therefore a proper drop as well...

a) What's the best way that i can achieve that with
H&R or Eibach ( List any others )

b) Springs only or shocks as well ??

c) Best Offset Numbers with 19"s / Tire widths ??

d) How can i avoid to rub ??

e) Sway bars ??

Thx in advance.

Ok So lets help answer some of the questions on here,

First off, upgrading to a stiffer & thicker sway bar helps not only in having minimal impact on ride quality but it also allows the use of softer springs that can be setup for a more comfortable daily driver ride, yet will keep a flatter cornering attitude for the car.

The one problem you can run into is that with stiffer spring and a stiff sway bar you can reduce the body roll so far that it will cause the car to basically breakaway and hard to predict. This is something you don't want with you're BMW, as obviously roll gives you some warning on when you are going to be running out of grip. Basically imagine not being able to predict you're ability to control a power slide, its dangerous and quite scary feeling if you've never had it happen to you.

The Eibach and the H&R sports springs will still give you a fairly soft enough spring rate. However for reduction in body roll - Simply doing the following stock sport springs matched up with a Koni FSD and say a Hotchkis sway bar will honestly give some pretty great performance in terms of reducing body roll and keeping a comfortable ride. If you want to switch the springs either the Eibach or the H&R's will work well with it. So thats the answer to A & B.

C. We were the only company a few years ago testing out the offsets like crazy on the car, in a 19x8.5 ET35 is optimal and a 19x9.5 ET33 - optimal to the fender without rubbing while being lowered. Thats a 235/35/19 and 265/30/19 tires.

D. You won't rub with that setup. What wheels are you looking to get?

E. Sway Bars - Yes definitely for what you are trying to achieve, Hotchkis has my vote.http://www.**********s.com/product.a...ars_E90_E92_MW

Let me know if you have any other questions, you can send me PM/Email/Call we can always discuss you're options.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2008, 02:46 PM   #6
GreekMaverick
El Greco Capitan
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///N54

Ron and Kenny Thank you both for the great info.....!

Will decide soon

Ron, I am still contemplating between LM reps / CSL Reps
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2008, 04:07 PM   #7
Ron@Modbargains
United_States
Rep
Drives: 996TT/ae86

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekMaverick View Post
Ron and Kenny Thank you both for the great info.....!

Will decide soon

Ron, I am still contemplating between LM reps / CSL Reps
Whichever you end up deciding on, they are available in a 19x9.5 ET33 for reference, so no worries there

Let me know if you need any pricing or any further questions.
Appreciate 0