E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > E93 Audio Upgrade

03-06-2010, 05:50 AM   #1
scaramanga
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Looking to buy a 1M

E93 Audio Upgrade

Hi All,

I'm trying to decide whether to upgrade the audio on my recently purchased E93. The car has the standard set-up without any of the OEM upgrades. Bass isn't very deep and the overall system sounds a lot flatter than my 130i which had the BMW HiFi option.

[gIzzE, you may remember (from babybmw!) i was thinking of upgrading to the SWS8's in my 130i but never got round to it.]

I've got some L7 tweeters and 4-ohm SWS8 subs which i had bought for our 1/5-series (cars sold before i got around to installing them!). Does anyone know if i can use these for the E93 ? One of my worries is that i might introduce squeaks/rattles by removeing all the trim that is needed to install the audio.

As i understand it,
- the tweeters would require door panel removal
- the amp/sub would potentially need the electronics at the front to be removed as well as rear seats, etc (assuming Blaupunkt 555 PnP install).

Seems like a lot of potential for new squeaks/rattles when its all put back again - any views ?
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2010, 11:34 AM   #2
MOB
Major
England
Rep
Drives: Alpine White M2 LCI

It will all fit your car ok, and so long as you take your time you should be rattle free, these cars go back together easily

do the tweeters first, best improvement IMO
      03-06-2010, 12:00 PM   #3
scaramanga
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks for the feedback. Have seen a few posts on amplifiers. Any suggestions on the best guide for adding the THA-555 into the E93 ?

Not obvious where it should be located in the boot. Also, do I need to run new cables in parallel to the underseat subs ? If I go ahead with the install, I'll probably try and use m 4ohm SWS8's.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2010, 03:23 PM   #4
MOB
Major
England
Rep
Drives: Alpine White M2 LCI

This is one of the best guides - http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ghlight=tha555

The amp fits under the boot floor nicely - its a simple install, the biggest issue I had was getting everything crammed in behind the head unit - its very tight!
      03-07-2010, 03:15 PM   #5
scaramanga
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks, yes i spoke to guy when i first saw his post awhile ago (in relation to my 130). Do you know if the routing of cables to the boot is similar for the E93 ?

If i go ahead and install the THA-555, is it easily reversible (ie. without having to remove the harness, etc ?
Appreciate 0