E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > *Released* Dinan 335i Software

12-12-2007, 12:59 PM   #243
Ramos
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 2020 M340

I know, but Dinan is based in CA, doubt they will not be selling here
+ CA is prob. their largest market by far..

Maybe the state that is excluded is MA or NH both of which are as strict on emissions as CA is
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2007, 01:07 PM   #244
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92Fan View Post
The remap is one that Birds have been able to create through their network of contacts in Germany, and it is still being offered, providing gains in power to approx 370-380hp and torque around the 360lbft mark.
So who exactly developed it? Maybe they're shy about saying precisely how it was done, but I'd be more relaxed if I knew they were somehow affiliated with one of the big tuning companies...

Quote:
Incidentally, the Birds remap is a total reflash, and NOT a piggyback option. Will have a Dyno Dynamics plot of the new flash fairly soon too.
Do you have a business relationship with Birds, or are you running this reflash? Any information you have would be appreciated...

And sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2007, 01:10 PM   #245
sflgator
Major General
Rep
Drives: '09 MB C63 AMG & '08 MB GL450

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin turbo View Post
Just stopped by Braman BMW in West Palm Beach (Dinan authorized). $1,999 for the flash and $150 labor. I was assured no warranty problems whatsoever and no problems with flashing a leased car, which I have. I am 1,000 miles from the 15K oil change. I will have the flash installed during the oil change. I drive about 450 miles a week, so I will have 15K miles in a couple of weeks. I asked if they had flashed anybody yet and I was told no, but I was told they are getting 4 to 5 calls a day about it.
You have a PM.

|2009 RENNtech MB C63 AMG | Black/Black Leather/Black Maple | Premium II | MultiMedia | iPod |
| TeleAid | Charcoal Filter Delete | BMC High-Flow Air Filters | High-Flow Secondary Cats | Clear Side Markers |
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2007, 03:07 PM   #246
S62PWR
BMW CCA# 90345
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i Cpe 6 speed

I'll throw in my .02.

The Dinan Flash is clearly superbly engineered and designed to bring on as much boost as is posible considering the design weeknesses of the turbos, the block and the standard parts that transfer heat. Any other tuners talk in those terms? Dinan cleary states the car can be pushed over it's thermal limits. What can help reduce heat? Bigger Intercooler, bigger oil cooler, reduced boost, higher water pump speeds, running alcohol/water injection, going with catless downpipes and moving the very hot cats back down the exhaust system and out of the engine compartment, shifting before redline, adding RL water wetter to radiator, lower tempature thermostat, running less than a 50/50 mix of antifreeze, bigger radiator (everyone chime in for other ideas) and finally TUNING THE DME TO MANAGE THE HEAT BETTER. How many of you know the turbos are cooled both by coolant and oil?

Nits: 93 octane and 85 mph fans will produce optimum results

What I was very intersted in was the statement that results would change significantly with changes in Octane....OOohh, you mean 100 Octane would get me more power at the racetrack . Does this mean the Dinan flash takes into account fuel quality and I don't need a separate flash when I go to the track and want max power for say 95 Octane? That would be cool. Switch back to pump gas for everyday driving...adjustment automatic, sweet.

Please people, with few exceptions, people here don't understand dyno numbers, it's the difference, not the absolute numbers that matter. Think percent change at a given rpm from the stock number to the flashed number. Dyno numbers mean nothing unless performed on the same car, same day (to account for changes in Tempature and Atmospheric preassure). Oh, and the same dyno. Dyno to Dyno tests really are very difficult to compare with any accuracy. Unfortunately, HP sells. When is the last time you saw an ad that said: Wow! 12% difference in horsepower! It would be a laugh for an exhaust: Wow! New! $1,359 for a 1% difference in HP with our super spinifty exhaust!!

The Dinan parts are more expensive because of the dealer distribution structure, warranty and the heavy R & D required to get warranty coverage. BTW has the ALMS Dinan equiped S62 Race Motor ever broke in the last two years....nope, And it's been on the podium a few times. Does that make this flash the best? No, but it does show Steve Dinan's commitment to build quality products.

I have seen lots of turbo cars towed from the race track. I've never, with rare exception, seen this on a naturally aspirated BMW. We used to take bets on which turbo cars would be the first to break. In the morning they would smoke us (cool tempatures) and in the afternoon they would quit early or break, usually heat related or stress related failures. Evo's, Porsches (944 turbos-chipped), WRX's, and especially Supras. We CAN'T HELP but want more horsepower under the hood, and with a turbo all you have to do is pump it up a bit...then bang. The beauty of the Dinan is the engineering for longevity that is built in and Warranted. Some people will buy that. Breaking your car sucks.

Now, I'm a tinkerer, so when I get my 135i, I will be employing some of the heat reducing strategies above myself, evaluating what others have used to find the best solutions/manufacturers and best value. But on the flash, I'll probably go Dinan. With a 200,000 rpm limit on the stock turbos, according to Dinan, this is as much boost as you can take without sacraficing longevity of the turbos, and that's one of the reasons the boost is tappered off at higher RPM's, heat another and the blocks torque limit the last. (What a cool R&D job; "Keep adding boost Jimmy till the sucker blows!!" )

Again, just my .02.

Now, thanks Stan for posting, get your flame suit on as it would be nice for you to chime in and bring some experienced engineering background to the conversation.

Last edited by S62PWR; 12-12-2007 at 03:09 PM.. Reason: spelling
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2007, 03:11 PM   #247
canesr1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 Metallic Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin turbo View Post
Just stopped by Braman BMW in West Palm Beach (Dinan authorized). $1,999 for the flash and $150 labor. I was assured no warranty problems whatsoever and no problems with flashing a leased car, which I have. I am 1,000 miles from the 15K oil change. I will have the flash installed during the oil change. I drive about 450 miles a week, so I will have 15K miles in a couple of weeks. I asked if they had flashed anybody yet and I was told no, but I was told they are getting 4 to 5 calls a day about it.
Just go the flash installed. $2100 including tax and labor. They gave me a break on labor since I was THE first one.
Only drove it around a little so far but it's FAST!
I'll post more later...
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2007, 03:23 PM   #248
hl0m4n
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by canesr1 View Post
Just go the flash installed. $2100 including tax and labor. They gave me a break on labor since I was THE first one.
Only drove it around a little so far but it's FAST!
I'll post more later...
man enjoy. looking foward to your review. did you have any other piggy backs like sstt, procede, xede before to compare? any word on when the oil cooler will be out?
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2007, 03:27 PM   #249
NYCGarbagePrince
Major
Rep
Drives: X6 50i

I just wish someone with some piggyback experience would get their hands on the dinan flash. Cause people with stock cars that get the flash will think it is awesome. Which I am sure it is. But you have no base to compare it to.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2007, 03:32 PM   #250
canesr1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hl0m4n View Post
man enjoy. looking foward to your review. did you have any other piggy backs like sstt, procede, xede before to compare? any word on when the oil cooler will be out?
Thanks.This is my 1st tune for my 335. Have been on this forum for a few months reading everything. Dinan was the best choice for me considering I OWN the car and value the warranty greatly.
If you go on dinan's website the have the oil cooler out already. There are 2 different versions for the cooler, one if your car has the factory one already and one if you don't. they are VERY expensive, $2000 and $4000 respectively.!
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2007, 03:39 PM   #251
hl0m4n
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Thanks.This is my 1st tune for my 335. Have been on this forum for a few months reading everything. Dinan was the best choice for me considering I OWN the car and value the warranty greatly.
If you go on dinan's website the have the oil cooler out already. There are 2 different versions for the cooler, one if your car has the factory one already and one if you don't. they are VERY expensive, $2000 and $4000 respectively.!
o they didn't have the oil cooler up on their site last time i checked now its there. damn that is really pricey though.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2007, 03:43 PM   #252
e90AW335i
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

Quote:
Wow, $4000. So you pay 10% (roughly) the price of your car for an oil cooler. Interesting....
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2007, 03:44 PM   #253
canesr1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyleh4852 View Post
Wow, $4000. So you pay 10% (roughly) the price of your car for an oil cooler. Interesting....
Probably MORE than that since it says 6 labor hours too! That's crazy! But I'm happy with my flash!!!!
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2007, 04:00 PM   #254
Dan335i
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 07 335i coupe 6MT,w/sp. pack.

So is Dinan saying its alright to get the flash with a stock oil cooler? Or do you have to upgrade your stock one with one of theres.This whole thing is getting confusing.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2007, 04:04 PM   #255
canesr1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan335i View Post
So is Dinan saying its alright to get the flash with a stock oil cooler? Or do you have to upgrade your stock one with one of theres.This whole thing is getting confusing.
Yes it is OK to keep the stock oil cooler. Dinan recommends their cooler if you're a "track guy".
You MUST have an oil cooler(oem OR DINAN) for them to install the flash!
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2007, 04:05 PM   #256
phrozen06
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328it, RIP M3, E46 Sold

Quote:
It's way beyond confusing. With all the experts chiming in on this thread, I'll be expecting them to come up with their own kustom performance software. They don't need Dinan.
      12-12-2007, 04:06 PM   #257
canesr1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Also, I heard if your car didn't come with an oil cooler, BMW will install one for free(if you make a big enough fuss!)
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2007, 04:31 PM   #258
NYCGarbagePrince
Major
Rep
Drives: X6 50i

Not true... you need to have the sports package in order to get the extra oil cooler. It was the early production cars that had Sports packages that came without the extra oil cooler they were supposed to have. If you ask for it they will install it. Ask Sflgator, he had the retrofit recently done on his car.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2007, 05:00 PM   #259
Doc E
Surf Caster Extraordinaire
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: '13 ISF

i'll wait till they release a flash for '08+ cars...
With the popularity of this car they will have to, unless the upcoming facelift will also come with some minor power changes.
      12-12-2007, 05:08 PM   #260
mikeo
Santa Fe Concorso
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M-sport 328i, '13 X1 28i

What is the difference between '07 and '08 ECUs that require the later to be sent to Dinan for the flash?
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2007, 05:15 PM   #261
ehsmadhatter
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramos View Post
450 miles a week on a leased car?? wow !!

No one has answered the question about the 49 state emissions legal disclaimer yet? Is the flash not California legal?
Just talked to BMW of San Diego. Reflash is California legal.
I am a little worried about the labor, they are saying it is an
all day thing and that is not 1 hour of labor or $150. I will call
around and see what others are saying about the install time.
      12-12-2007, 06:11 PM   #262
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCGarbagePrince View Post
I just wish someone with some piggyback experience would get their hands on the dinan flash. Cause people with stock cars that get the flash will think it is awesome. Which I am sure it is. But you have no base to compare it to.
Who in the right mind would do this? The piggyback people already made a choice about warranties when they installed the thing.

Funny thing about power is that you can never spend more money to get less (unless you are talking about idiot Hybrid drivers )
      12-12-2007, 06:27 PM   #263
KWA VaTech
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 350Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
Who in the right mind would do this? The piggyback people already made a choice about warranties when they installed the thing.

Funny thing about power is that you can never spend more money to get less (unless you are talking about idiot Hybrid drivers )
why would you make fun of someone who is giving you cheaper gas, smart!!
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2007, 06:37 PM   #264
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWA VaTech View Post
why would you make fun of someone who is giving you cheaper gas, smart!!
??? Because they are drinking the Hybrid Kool-aid. Because the guys who drive Hybrids can't bench more than 50 pounds and the women don't shave their armpits.