E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Great Lakes > Minneapolis Dinan Stage 2 Users

01-07-2010, 08:10 AM   #45
Ricer X
noted crusty old man
United_States
Rep
Drives: like a man late for work

Garage List
2007 335i  [6.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruz View Post
He has a HUGE right foot.
You know what they say about guys with big feet! Except for Cubans that is!

To stay on topic...I don't think that anyone really means to flame Dinan, per se. Most of the comments are not that Dinan's tune is grossly inadequate, but more that the gains are not worth the $ in relation to other tunes. The OP is more concerned about delivery and if he is willing to pay $1700 for minor differences in that arena than bully for him!
      01-07-2010, 08:12 AM   #46
CubanJJ09
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: like an asshole

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [6.18]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkcyd_Turbo View Post
I lub giving Los shite because he gives it back, so when it goes back and forth, it makes things more fun!

I love all you guys! (no homo of course! more like brothas!) We are just one big BMW family!!
lol no homo, i saw some sort of vh1 or mtv special on that phrase. im pretty hip and down with it and i didnt even know about it

Quote:
Off Topic, sorry, Los you need me to try to get a hold of Ken for you? I'll FB you my cell #, just call/text me and let me know bro.
nah thats alright i thought seth had a casual relationship with him just to mention it. but thats alright no biggey. thanks anyways
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2010, 08:18 AM   #47
Darkcyd_Turbo
"Booty Hole Bandit"
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2008 Montego E92 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by CubanJJ09 View Post
lol no homo, i saw some sort of vh1 or mtv special on that phrase. im pretty hip and down with it and i didnt even know about it
LoL it's a way to show man love and with out the ghey inuendos...
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2010, 08:26 AM   #48
Darkcyd_Turbo
"Booty Hole Bandit"
Philippines
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFV335i View Post
To stay on topic...I don't think that anyone really means to flame Dinan, per se. Most of the comments are not that Dinan's tune is grossly inadequate, but more that the gains are not worth the $ in relation to other tunes.
it's like buying a $250,000 Ferrari F430 with 200hp lol
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2010, 08:40 AM   #49
CubanJJ09
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [6.18]
Quote:

Appreciate 0
      01-07-2010, 08:40 AM   #50
Winston Wolf
Tax Paying, Gun Toting American Veteran
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Or paying 12 million a year for a washed up retired quarterback.....sometimes you DO get what you pay for.

Alas, we shall see what the OP's opinion is (the only one that matters in this situation) after he takes a ride in my car tonight. I don't care what anyone gets, but I'm happy to help when asked.
      01-07-2010, 08:46 AM   #51
CubanJJ09
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [6.18]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston Wolf View Post
Or paying 12 million a year for a washed up retired quarterback.....sometimes you DO get what you pay for.

Alas, we shall see what the OP's opinion is (the only one that matters in this situation) after he takes a ride in my car tonight. I don't care what anyone gets, but I'm happy to help when asked.
i DO getz a warranty along with that retired qb so if he breaks his spine. guess what call up the doc cause hes getting a transplant.

but to the OP DO report back!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2010, 08:55 AM   #52
ajvee
Major
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston Wolf View Post

Good morning! You have no idea how excited I am to get a ride in your car! I really appreciate your giving me the opportunity.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2010, 08:56 AM   #53
ajvee
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CubanJJ09 View Post
i DO getz a warranty along with that retired qb so if he breaks his spine. guess what call up the doc cause hes getting a transplant.

but to the OP DO report back!!!
Cuban, I appreciate your positive inputs on the Dinan 2. I will be sure to post a thorough review of my impressions following my ride today. I can hardly wait!
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2010, 09:35 AM   #54
Ricer X
noted crusty old man
United_States
Rep
Drives: like a man late for work

Garage List
2007 335i  [6.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajvee View Post
Cuban, I appreciate your positive inputs on the Dinan 2. I will be sure to post a thorough review of my impressions following my ride today. I can hardly wait!

Do report in. I love reading everyone's reactions. They are great.

I am pretty sure you will love it in relation to stock. What's not to love? My only caution is test out other tunes first and pick the one you like then. What you don't want do is try one basic strain of chronic and buy a pound when you may like another strain that happens to be cheaper alot better.
      01-07-2010, 10:01 AM   #55
ajvee
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFV335i View Post
Do report in. I love reading everyone's reactions. They are great.

I am pretty sure you will love it in relation to stock. What's not to love? My only caution is test out other tunes first and pick the one you like then. What you don't want do is try one basic strain of chronic and buy a pound when you may like another strain that happens to be cheaper alot better.
I completely agree. I plan to test everything I can before I make a decision.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2010, 10:04 AM   #56
mkPOTO
Mr. Nice Says Hello
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 | X5 xdrive 35i MSport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajvee View Post
I completely agree. I plan to test everything I can before I make a decision.
good, let me know if your interested in purchasing a jb3 unit or a procede i have them both
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2010, 10:35 AM   #57
CubanJJ09
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [6.18]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkPOTO View Post
good, let me know if your interested in purchasing a jb3 unit or a procede i have them both
ha, thats funny
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2010, 10:55 AM   #58
ToadHollow
Once upon a time ......
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2008 JB E92 - SOLD 5/2010

Garage List
2008 E92 335i  [8.00]
Dinan Stage II + newest BMW sw update = WIN!

Seeing as how this thread hasn't become a war yet I'll throw my experiences in & what I feel are some good points of going with the Dinan.

You never have to worry about "getting caught" with a tune. DUH.

I had the original flash installed 6/08 with an aftermarket intake already in place. The typical throttle response is there, power delivered not quite thru to redline (5500rpm then flatline). I have installed several intakes during that time & had settled on the stock box w/ a hi-flow filter as being the best intake with the Dinan tune.

Since that time (just recently actually) the car received the newest BMW sw & was reflashed with the newest version of the Dinan Stage II sw.

Totally night & day with regard to power delivery, throttle response, shifting and the smooth power delivery. I've ridden in JB3 tuned cars and can attest that the Dinan power delivery is just as (if not more) smooth thru to redline.

Keeping in mind that the smooth shifting is due to the BMW sw update; the Dinan tune just seems to be a much more competent flash than it had been with the earlier version.

Something else to consider for those who decide to add aftermarket downpipes (catted or catless) is the fact that with each visit to the dealer I have NEVER received any static over the fact I have the aftermarket dps installed. They ask if I have the Dinan flash installed, I say yes and all is golden with regard to warranty. As a matter of fact, the car had a transmission leak fixed late last month w/ pipes in plain sight. I'm always up front with anything aftermarket installed & believe this is one reason I have received fair treatment regarding warranty issues.
No worries whatsoever ............. by the way, the car has been serviced by 3 different dealers from Tennessee to Texas without incident.

The reason for the price increase from Dinan is due to the number of updates that BMW introduces. The majority of the mechanical updates released by BMW causes Dinan to have to revamp its flash to work in conjunction with the update. Also, Dinan now installs (atleast this I am told) the latest updates from BMW at the time of the flash install so there is no question as to what version sw is on the car.

Just my .04 to the discussion .......

Appreciate 0
      01-07-2010, 11:04 AM   #59
ToadHollow
Once upon a time ......
Italy
Rep

Garage List
2008 E92 335i  [8.00]
Quote:
$2400 = Dinan STG 2 tune

or

$2400 = JB3, BT Tool, DCI, FMIC, & DP's and maybe Meth....and still have money left over for a couple tanks of gas = car easily into the low 12's all day long. Maybe even into the 11's.
You're waaaaaaaaaayyyy off ............. check your math.

There are maybe 2 cars here that have touched the high 11s ........ I know of someone here with everything you mentioned as far as parts & still unable to do better than 12.45. He's a BMW tech so there's no argument for the car not being properly tuned.

Common sense would tell you that Dinan tunes are "safe" tunes because of the warranty retention. Withoutt the warranty playing a part in this I'm sure the piggybacks would be more evenly tuned.

The GIAC flash would be the way to go now ........... the piggyback days are numbered ...... bet on it.

Appreciate 0
      01-07-2010, 11:41 AM   #60
ajvee
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToadHollow View Post
Seeing as how this thread hasn't become a war yet I'll throw my experiences in & what I feel are some good points of going with the Dinan.

You never have to worry about "getting caught" with a tune. DUH.

I had the original flash installed 6/08 with an aftermarket intake already in place. The typical throttle response is there, power delivered not quite thru to redline (5500rpm then flatline). I have installed several intakes during that time & had settled on the stock box w/ a hi-flow filter as being the best intake with the Dinan tune.

Since that time (just recently actually) the car received the newest BMW sw & was reflashed with the newest version of the Dinan Stage II sw.

Totally night & day with regard to power delivery, throttle response, shifting and the smooth power delivery. I've ridden in JB3 tuned cars and can attest that the Dinan power delivery is just as (if not more) smooth thru to redline.

Keeping in mind that the smooth shifting is due to the BMW sw update; the Dinan tune just seems to be a much more competent flash than it had been with the earlier version.

Something else to consider for those who decide to add aftermarket downpipes (catted or catless) is the fact that with each visit to the dealer I have NEVER received any static over the fact I have the aftermarket dps installed. They ask if I have the Dinan flash installed, I say yes and all is golden with regard to warranty. As a matter of fact, the car had a transmission leak fixed late last month w/ pipes in plain sight. I'm always up front with anything aftermarket installed & believe this is one reason I have received fair treatment regarding warranty issues.
No worries whatsoever ............. by the way, the car has been serviced by 3 different dealers from Tennessee to Texas without incident.

The reason for the price increase from Dinan is due to the number of updates that BMW introduces. The majority of the mechanical updates released by BMW causes Dinan to have to revamp its flash to work in conjunction with the update. Also, Dinan now installs (atleast this I am told) the latest updates from BMW at the time of the flash install so there is no question as to what version sw is on the car.

Just my .04 to the discussion .......
Great inputs! particularly the section on the power delivery. I was a bit surprised that you compared the Dinan 2 power delivery to the Jb3, because from what I've read the Dinan is more comparable to the PROcede in terms of smoothness. I do realize the JB3 puts out more power, but I am under the impression that the Dinan would be quite a bit superior to the JB3.

It would be great if you could talk about the latest revision of the flash, as some people feel a bit short changed in terms of the power. Appreciate the feedback.

Thanks,
Anvar
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2010, 12:19 PM   #61
ToadHollow
Once upon a time ......
Italy
Rep

Garage List
2008 E92 335i  [8.00]
The biggest improvement is the fact that power delivery continues to each shift point (6850rpm). Strong & smooth pulling ...........

Something to REALLY consider is upgrading the diverter valves to either Forge or Riss Racing. This makes a huge difference to the efficiency of a tuned car in that the boost doesn't taper off at all before shifting. Without a tune in place I don't believe there to be any use of upgrading the dvs.

If at all possible, anyone who hasn't already would do well to have the car's sw updated by BMW. Normally the update will not be installed unless there is an underlying issue such as shifting (AT), wastegate rattle, HPFP etc ....

What version sw & Dinan is on the car you're riding in tonight? If it's an older version then keep in mind that the newest version is definitely better.

Appreciate 0
      01-07-2010, 12:34 PM   #62
Darkcyd_Turbo
"Booty Hole Bandit"
Philippines
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToadHollow View Post
You're waaaaaaaaaayyyy off ............. check your math.

There are maybe 2 cars here that have touched the high 11s ........ I know of someone here with everything you mentioned as far as parts & still unable to do better than 12.45. He's a BMW tech so there's no argument for the car not being properly tuned.

Common sense would tell you that Dinan tunes are "safe" tunes because of the warranty retention. Withoutt the warranty playing a part in this I'm sure the piggybacks would be more evenly tuned.

The GIAC flash would be the way to go now ........... the piggyback days are numbered ...... bet on it.
Okay aside from Meth the math I did as follows :

JB3 PnP & DCI combo from Mike@N54Tuning - $679

Add BT Tool w/ purchase of any BMS tunes - $100

AR DP's - $699

FMIC - $700-$1000

Grand total - $2178-2478 ish

Dinan STG 2 from my local dealer is $2200 (someone had mentioned that prices might have gone up).

Prices are close for a whole lotta mods.

So my math wasn't completely "WAAAAAAAAYYYYYYY" off like you said...note these are for "NEW" items, find them used and save yourself a few hundred and you do have Meth. You'll NEVER find a "used" Dinan tune to buy. But thanks for pointing out my awesome mathematical skills which was all done rounding in my head. Now you have hard numbers to compare. And with all due respect, before you tell me to "check my math" and call me out for being ignorant, how about YOU check my math to make sure I'm wrong. Which so happens in this case, I'm not.

Ok and about the drag times...like i said, "12's all day" "MAYBE into the 11's" and i said maybe because it might be 11's if you run Meth.

FYI: run the GIAC flash and "if," it might be a big "if," you bring your car into the dealer for some problem and they take it out for a drive and find out its boosting more than a normal n54, bye bye warranty. I know they are coming out with a handheld switcher (but they havent yet so it doesn't count yet), but you're stuck with the tune being on the whole time. To a lot of people, they dont want to risk it. And it sucks for those who dont have a local GIAC dealer close by to reflash for dealer visits.

PS...if my above math is "wrong" again please let me know so i can delete this post. Thanks! Please dont take my posts too personal, I am a self proclaimed smarta$$, so I tend to joke a lot.

Last edited by Darkcyd_Turbo; 01-07-2010 at 02:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2010, 02:26 PM   #63
Kruz
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C 6MT

Garage List
pwned
Summers: 235/40/18 265/35/18 Hankook Ventus V12 on VMR 701s
A/S: 225/40/18 255/35/18 Pirelli PZero Nero M+S on OEM 162s
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2010, 03:10 PM   #64
ToadHollow
Once upon a time ......
Italy
Rep

Garage List
2008 E92 335i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruz View Post
pwned
Not hardly ............

I'd have much more respect for someone posting info if they didn't continuously edit the original post .......... his was edited twice.

Appreciate 0
      01-07-2010, 03:12 PM   #65
Kruz
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C 6MT

Garage List
reverse pwned
Summers: 235/40/18 265/35/18 Hankook Ventus V12 on VMR 701s
A/S: 225/40/18 255/35/18 Pirelli PZero Nero M+S on OEM 162s
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2010, 03:28 PM   #66
Darkcyd_Turbo
"Booty Hole Bandit"
Philippines
Rep

I edited it twice because I'm OCD like that when it comes to grammatical errors...nonetheless regardless of how many times i edit my post, my math is still correct. Thanks! Also I edited the post with the PS and semi-apology for being a smart ass (looks like i made a mistake in doing that), and added a few other points. Decided to edit my original post instead of being a post whore.
Appreciate 0