E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Power lost while shifting gears. Help

05-02-2010, 10:17 PM   #23
a32guy
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW 335i

My car loses alot of power between shifts too, just running standard map5 settings on 2.0 firmware.
      05-11-2010, 08:13 AM   #24
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by a32guy View Post
My car loses alot of power between shifts too, just running standard map5 settings on 2.0 firmware.
Again, you would need to mess with the settings in 2.0 to help this.

I got fed up with it personally.

I've talked to 5 Jb3 users in the past month, all of which I dont know personally, just met them.

First Question I asked:

Jb3 Yes
Manual Yes
Bog Yes

Its like the plague.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2010, 08:16 AM   #25
Clap135
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2009 N54

Typical jb3 MT car, shift like you are racing trying to win, and you will lose. I got a solution for you. Hint: you are on the right site. lol

Ive had this bog with the jb3 on 1.3, 1.4, and people on 2.0 are getting it. There are def more people who have it then who don't. And those who don't are not shifting fast, trust me on that. in conclusion, get a procede if you own a MT car.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2010, 08:23 AM   #26
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep

The problem is, people think its normal, like I said I talked to a bunch of people just in this short period of time and they all have it.

They just dont say anything.

A lot of people are complaisant with this kind of thing, or since they had since day 1 they feel its normal.

IDK what kind of car people drove before, but IDK how you can expect a car to not accelerate when you shift fast!

Only excuse I'll give is I can get my car to do it stock, but that dont make it right either.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2010, 12:22 PM   #27
BrianMN
Banned
Rep
Drives: 4 Door Family Sedan

I'm on JB3 2.0 with 6MT, just running the default maps, and I have never experienced something like this. The video looks like more than regular bogging...

You could try to play with Bogfix settings, but again, I've never bogged at all.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2010, 12:28 PM   #28
Clap135
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianMN View Post
I'm on JB3 2.0 with 6MT, just running the default maps, and I have never experienced something like this. The video looks like more than regular bogging...

You could try to play with Bogfix settings, but again, I've never bogged at all.
Shift harder on higher map.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2010, 12:35 PM   #29
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:

Looked to me like the OP is just trying to cram too much boost for his octane running map 7 otherwise stock. Also no idea what software or settings he is running. I'm manual and have never had a bog either. But it's always a case of different strokes for different folks.

I get a lot of auto customers of other tunes coming my way because they are not happy with their shifting/boost taper. Doesn't mean everyone running an auto with another tune isn't happy but it's a common complaint I hear.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2010, 02:10 PM   #30
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: e92 335 - gone // e36 M3 turbo

I've never ridden in a JB3 manual car to feel the bog or no bog situation, but I was in a Procede RevII full stage III w meth last week, he was beating on it at redline and it just rocketed forwards at the shift, no bog at all. Felt great. Smooth and fast at 16.5psi.
      05-11-2010, 02:13 PM   #31
Clap135
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@N54Tuning.com View Post
Looked to me like the OP is just trying to cram too much boost for his octane running map 7 otherwise stock. Also no idea what software or settings he is running. I'm manual and have never had a bog either. But it's always a case of different strokes for different folks.

I get a lot of auto customers of other tunes coming my way because they are not happy with their shifting/boost taper. Doesn't mean everyone running an auto with another tune isn't happy but it's a common complaint I hear.

Mike

Its not a boost too high issue mike. themyst has horrible bogging, he switched to a procede and now run 17-18 psi shifting the hell out of it and he doesnt bog. anything map 7 and up he would bog. Terry is well aware of this by now as multiple people, including myself, have experienced this bog for years now.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2010, 02:24 PM   #32
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Just ineffective tuning. There's really no other excuse for it. Fixing the bog issue is reasonably simple if the tune controls enough things and is capable of reading enough channels of data. This has been proven over and over again.

Shiv
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2010, 02:31 PM   #33
jcarlucci1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 335i

Its really time to stop trying to cover up the issues with the shift bog on JB3 and just admit it. It is VERY apparent, happens on almost all maps, and almost everyone with a 6mt has it. I spent months tweaking every last thing in 2.0 trying to get rid of it and gave up. It really makes the car NO FUN to drive. Strangely enough, I replaced the JB3 with a JB+ and it no longer bogs.

Quote:

Mike
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2010, 02:53 PM   #34
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarlucci1 View Post
Its really time to stop trying to cover up the issues with the shift bog on JB3 and just admit it. It is VERY apparent, happens on almost all maps, and almost everyone with a 6mt has it. I spent months tweaking every last thing in 2.0 trying to get rid of it and gave up. It really makes the car NO FUN to drive. Strangely enough, I replaced the JB3 with a JB+ and it no longer bogs.
To be fair, the mechanism that causes throttle bog (pressure before TB>boost target when the throttle is slapped open) is still present with your jb+. The reason it is less pronounced is because the boost pressure at high rpm (6000+) is 4-5psi less than it wax with your jb3 which makes the overboost-at-shift condition less severe/likely. If you shifted a little quicker or at an RPM at which there was more boost, you'd see more evidence of the bog.

Until the jb3 offers either direct control of the wastegate solenoids AND the ability to read (and satisfy) DME boost target through CAN and (preferably) the ability to retard timing during the shift event, shift bog isn't going to be universally solved. All the marketing spin in the world isn't going to change reality.

Shiv
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2010, 03:01 PM   #35
themyst
Major General
South Korea
Rep
Drives: '16 MK7 GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clap135 View Post
Its not a boost too high issue mike. themyst has horrible bogging, he switched to a procede and now run 17-18 psi shifting the hell out of it and he doesnt bog. anything map 7 and up he would bog. Terry is well aware of this by now as multiple people, including myself, have experienced this bog for years now.
Oddly, Map 8 would not bog, but Map 9+ would. Procede I don't bog anymore after the CANshift fix Shiv sent me and one other.
      05-11-2010, 05:00 PM   #36
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep

Quote:

There is evidence that not all the cars will bog. That I will agree with however, A) your probably not pushing enough boost and/or B) not shifting fast enough is another reason.

Otherwise C) you have your fix dialed in perfect (rare).

Some people I talk to say the only get it sometimes.

I have videos from 1.3 and 1.4 software not showing evidence of bog.... yet on any random occasion it would.
It seems only when I needed to race it would bog, probably because my right arm was swinging that shifter faster then you can say Jb3.

Lot of things need to go right and only a small amount of things need to go wrong to create bog. We have a complicated car..... its needs a complex setup to tackle every aspect, despite what other people think. If its working for you, all the more power to you. My.02

I'm just curious how I can get my car to bog on a 2nd or 3rd gear downshift stock.... thats almost comical to me.

This car is really ghey. Oh and PS this video is the exact definition of bog.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2010, 06:55 PM   #37
bgboost
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M5

I just installed the Jb3 2.0 map 3 on my 6mt. DCI all stock otherwise. Powerwise it feels good for what I was expecting for Map 3.

While I don't experience the extreme bogging that the OP demonstrates, there is lag in between shifts. The harder and faster you drive/shift the more noticeable it becomes. With this much power, I'd expect to easily chirp tires at least between 1-2 shifts and even 2-3 however the delay doesn't allow me to.

i'll be testing out a procede car or tune on my own car to before making a switch. I'm still in my 14 day trial period.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2010, 07:16 PM   #38
themyst
Major General
South Korea
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgboost View Post
I just installed the Jb3 2.0 map 3 on my 6mt. DCI all stock otherwise. Powerwise it feels good for what I was expecting for Map 3.

While I don't experience the extreme bogging that the OP demonstrates, there is lag in between shifts. The harder and faster you drive/shift the more noticeable it becomes. With this much power, I'd expect to easily chirp tires at least between 1-2 shifts and even 2-3 however the delay doesn't allow me to.

i'll be testing out a procede car or tune on my own car to before making a switch. I'm still in my 14 day trial period.
Never bogged anything lower than Map 9. 1-2 shift is not a problem, at low boost levels, even the 2-3 isn't bad, its the 3-4 at that boost level that will cause problems. Dial in the bogfix first with a setting of 50 to start. Tweak up or down based on the logs.
      05-11-2010, 08:32 PM   #39
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by themyst View Post
Never bogged anything lower than Map 9. 1-2 shift is not a problem, at low boost levels, even the 2-3 isn't bad, its the 3-4 at that boost level that will cause problems. Dial in the bogfix first with a setting of 50 to start. Tweak up or down based on the logs.
With the latest firmware BMS rescaled it so a setting of 100 works best for most. It's much easier this way.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2010, 08:35 PM   #40
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgboost View Post

The E93 is pretty heavy so I wouldn't expect a lot of gear chirping. But give it a try with bogfix = 100 on the latest 4/22 firmware. Bogfix is disabled by default. If you don't already have one grab a CDV also.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2010, 10:04 PM   #41
BrianMN
Banned
Rep

Trust me, I'm running enough boost
(Map 7) and I shift hard 1-2 the rear tires spin like crazy. 2-3 the tires spin a little bit, And 3-4 they chirp. There is zero bog, And I've never adjusted bogfix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPSlick View Post
There is evidence that not all the cars will bog. That I will agree with however, A) your probably not pushing enough boost and/or B) not shifting fast enough is another reason.

Otherwise C) you have your fix dialed in perfect (rare).

Some people I talk to say the only get it sometimes.

I have videos from 1.3 and 1.4 software not showing evidence of bog.... yet on any random occasion it would.
It seems only when I needed to race it would bog, probably because my right arm was swinging that shifter faster then you can say Jb3.

Lot of things need to go right and only a small amount of things need to go wrong to create bog. We have a complicated car..... its needs a complex setup to tackle every aspect, despite what other people think. If its working for you, all the more power to you. My.02

I'm just curious how I can get my car to bog on a 2nd or 3rd gear downshift stock.... thats almost comical to me.

This car is really ghey. Oh and PS this video is the exact definition of bog.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2010, 10:09 PM   #42
BrianMN
Banned
Rep

If you've tried adjusting the bogfix to 100% and its still doing That, that's another story
But I think a lot Oh people are complaining about bog without trying to adjust it first
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2010, 10:23 PM   #43
BrianMN
Banned
Rep

If you've tried adjusting the bogfix to 100% and its still doing That, that's another story
But I think a lot Oh people are complaining about bog without trying to adjust it first
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2010, 10:24 PM   #44
themyst
Major General
South Korea
Rep

Quote:
With the latest firmware BMS rescaled it so a setting of 100 works best for most. It's much easier this way.

Mike
No, it makes it so the previous bogfix setting of 30 = 50, not quite a complete rescaling. Running excessive amounts of bogfix will mean poor boost recovery after the shift.

Change the taper setting to 50-62, bogfix to 50 on the latest firmware, tweak to your liking from there.