E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > My New Combox/6NR Courtesy of BimmerTech

01-23-2012, 11:27 AM   #1
DieselDiner
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335d

My New Combox/6NR Courtesy of BimmerTech

When BMW ConnectedDrive and BMW Apps were introduced during the 2011 model year, I became very frustrated. Although I own a 2011 E90, it was built in May 2010, prior to the addition of the Combox, thus it cannot offer the functions available from BMWConnectedDrive and the Combox.

Enter Patryk of BimmerTech, a trusted vendor here on the forum. I contacted Patryk to learn about adding these capabilities to my car, and my process began. In my case, I purchased the Combox retrofit, and also the 6NR upgrade.

If you search around the board, you will find several examples of BimmerTech's product offerings. You will also find numerous testimonials from Bimmertech customers regarding the positive experience they have in dealing with Patryk. The amazing part for us in the U.S. is that Patryk is based in Poland, yet his handling of all aspects of the transaction and process are seamless, and frankly better than some companies in the U.S. with which I've done business. Important note: Patryk prefers communication via email instead of PM, so it's important to remember that preference when contacting him.

On to details of my installation, the Combox retrofit offers the following:
- Internet access (you need to enable tethering on your iPhone or jailbreak it)
- Album art covers (over USB port in the armrest)
- Bluetooth Audio
- Office menu (for iPhone only Contacts are currently available, other phones can have text messages, Calendar, Tasks, Emails, etc.)
- And more!
The 6NR ConnectedDrive retrofit offers:
1. BMW Apps:
- Facebook,
- Twitter,
- Web Radio,
- 3rd party BMW Certified Apps. (like Pandora)
2. BMW Plugin - "...changes the iDrive screen to the same look and feel as the iPod function on an iPhone. It allows you to take advantage of all the iPod features (Genius, album art, compiling playlists, etc) that are not available via the basic USB connection.
3.Video Playback - enables video playback from iPhone

BimmerTech has established a network of installation locations around the U.S., and their most recent addition is in Tucker, Ga., a 'burb of Atlanta. This location is only a 45 minute drive from my home, making it ideal.
The local owner of this location, David Chow, actually operates his own business (4sevens Flashlights) at this location, and cars are his avocation. Fear not, BMW lovers, his DD is an M3 with a supercharger (!), and his fun car for the track is a Miata with a Corvette LS3 (!). Needless to say, he's one of us! He actually has his technician Matt do the work on the car, inside David's warehouse, and the work is flawless and completely buttoned up.

I can't say enough good things about Patryk and his business, and David and the installation process. I'm not the first satisfied BimmerTech customer on the board, but wanted to share my good fortune with others who might want to make this upgrade. I cannot recommend Patryk highly enough.

I am including screenshots of the new features and functions, courtesy of Technic. These shots were taken by him of his car (also a Bimmertech customer and installer), and accurately represent the new capabilities in my car:

BMW Apps:

Web Radio:

Pandora:

Facebook:

iPod Out and Video:

BMW Live:

Google Search:

Panoramio:

Internet:

Sirius Radio:
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2012, 01:46 PM   #2
Imperator
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i

Great write-up! Is that David's car in the pictures? Looks like a M3 with an Individual interior (saddle/piano black).

How long did the installation take and what costs are related to your purchase/install? Did Patryk order the parts for you and ship them overseas or did you acquire them from David's shop?

Is the cradle/sled required for this retrofit or only needed for video-out applications?

Thanks again for the info, I'm still thinking of this retrofit for my 2010.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2012, 02:04 PM   #3
DieselDiner
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperator View Post
Great write-up! Is that David's car in the pictures? Looks like a M3 with an Individual interior (saddle/piano black).
The car belongs to member Technic, he allowed me to use his photos to illustrate the upgraded features.

Quote:
How long did the installation take and what costs are related to your purchase/install? Did Patryk order the parts for you and ship them overseas or did you acquire them from David's shop?
The time for installation and cost really depends on your individual car. It's best to contact Patryk at info@bimmer-tech.net to let him give you specifics. In my case, the install/coding took about a day. Patryk sent the parts, they came from Poland to Atlanta in 2 days (and included tracking!)!

Quote:
Is the cradle/sled required for this retrofit or only needed for video-out applications?

Thanks again for the info, I'm still thinking of this retrofit for my 2010.
Cradle not required, note the iphone with the plug on the Pandora picture!

And - thanks! It's a great upgrade!
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2012, 08:16 PM   #4
jwzimm
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M3

Is there a way to activate the BMW live functions on a car with 6NR installed from the factory?
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2012, 10:45 PM   #5
apw2607
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e M-Sport

One correction to your post, calendar is also available with the iPhone (via connected app). Works well.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 05:23 AM   #6
jonw
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M6 Comp Gran Coupe & X5 MSport

Garage List
I have connected drive with facebook, web radio etc which works fine in my GT.
How do you get the plug in function to work on the idrive ?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 08:18 AM   #7
DieselDiner
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwzimm View Post
Is there a way to activate the BMW live functions on a car with 6NR installed from the factory?
Contact Patryk, I think he can help you out.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 01:24 PM   #8
Patrys@BimmerTech
Banned
Poland
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Thank you very much DieselDiner for your positive feedback!
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 05:02 PM   #9
NewNole2001
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2012 E93 328i, 2015 F8

How do you like the internet browser functionality? Do websites like weather.com work?
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2012, 10:42 AM   #10
jwzimm
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrys@BimmerTech View Post
Thank you very much DieselDiner for your positive feedback!
PM sent re: activating BMW live.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2012, 08:26 PM   #11
spr
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 M3; e92 ESS650+ M3

cost?
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2012, 04:14 PM   #12
Patrys@BimmerTech
Banned
Poland
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Whenever you have a question or need a quote please send us an email at info@bimmer-tech.net rather than a PM.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 05:16 PM   #13
ssr303
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2010 X6 35i

Can someone please do this in Denver?
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 03:23 PM   #14
Patrys@BimmerTech
Banned