E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Graffiti'd!

01-28-2008, 09:16 AM   #1
JustDee
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335xi cp

Graffiti'd!

So some punk ass kid (i'm hoping it was a kid) with nothing better to do decides to write on my alpine white car with a sharpie! I tried washing it off but you can still see a "ghosting" of the marks on the car! I tried clay barring, but that didn't really help. Should I try acetone? Will that help??? How much damage will it do to the top coat, or is it too late already?? I just don't understand wth is wrong with some people. Makes me soooo mad (unhealthily angry to the point where violent thoughts fill my mind).
      01-28-2008, 09:30 AM   #2
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustDee View Post
So some punk ass kid (i'm hoping it was a kid) with nothing better to do decides to write on my alpine white car with a sharpie! I tried washing it off but you can still see a "ghosting" of the marks on the car! I tried clay barring, but that didn't really help. Should I try acetone? Will that help??? How much damage will it do to the top coat, or is it too late already?? I just don't understand wth is wrong with some people. Makes me soooo mad (unhealthily angry to the point where violent thoughts fill my mind).
A mild abrasive polish or a chemical polish even should remove the marks. If you're looking for something local, try Meguiars ScratchX and give it some elbow grease.

Afterwards be sure to protect your paint with your choice of sealant or wax.

It should come off rather easily, don't stress it much.

George
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2008, 09:33 AM   #3
JustDee
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335xi cp

Thanks George! The mark on the back is not as bad, I was able to get most of it off, but I also put some swirl marks in the clear coat when I was rubbing it out. Do you know if Zaino will help with that too? I'll try the Meguiars on the hood....
      01-28-2008, 09:37 AM   #4
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustDee View Post
Thanks George! The mark on the back is not as bad, I was able to get most of it off, but I also put some swirl marks in the clear coat when I was rubbing it out. Do you know if Zaino will help with that too? I'll try the Meguiars on the hood....
ScratchX can help for mild swirling. The two Zaino products that would help remove the imperfections are Z-PC or Z-AIO. Z-5 has fillers and can help hide them but won't remove them.

If you are looking to polish your entire vehicle, look into the Menzerna polishes, as they are some of the best available.

If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

George
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2008, 10:07 AM   #5
turboawdfanatic
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 3

try rubbing alcohol...usually works with removing sharpies
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2008, 02:16 PM   #6
ScheerSpeed
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F30 Estoril M-Sport 335i

menzerna 106ff and Menzerna SIP are my two favorties. you probably won't need SIP, 106ff should take it out no problem with a porter cable polisher
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2008, 04:28 PM   #7
JOYRIIDE1113
Pirate
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailing Shark

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboawdfanatic View Post
try rubbing alcohol...usually works with removing sharpies
BUMP

What he said...
sure Vintage is rad, but if they screw up the prep it won't matter if they coat it in pure white carnauba picked from trees that bloom every ten years during a full moon; it will still look like ass. ---PICUS
Appreciate 0