E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Bluetooth Compatible Phones List

07-31-2008, 04:55 PM   #529
web1b
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 328i

Q9C Q9H?

Is the OEM bluetooth kit fully compatible with the Motorola Q9C and Q9H WM6.1 phones?

Last edited by web1b; 07-31-2008 at 05:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2008, 07:31 PM   #530
330eye
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330I BLK/BLK/SP/PP/NAV/CA

Garage List
2006 330I  [0.00]
LG Dare

Anyone know if the Dare is compatible with a E90 built after September 2006?
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2008, 10:46 PM   #531
Mech_Man
I'm feeling much better now, Dave
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i e92 (MontegoBlue/Bk)

Treo 775p Now Working !!! (Didn't fully, before).

Got a new 775p three weeks ago, and paired it with my 08/2008 335i (e92 with bluetooth, no iDrive, no iPod), and it could make and receive calls through the car, but the car didn't transfer the phone book. (The car had done this function with my previous phone, a Moto Razr 3m).

Then I found out that there was a free software update for the Treo 775p,
The phone I'd purchased 7/1/08 had software version 1.07, and an upgrade to 1.08 was available at:
http://www.palm.com/us/support/downl...llwindows.html

or if you're not with Verizon, check out here:
http://www.palm.com/us/support/downloads/

As it warned:
1) Do a Before full sync.
2) It will take about 45 minutes to update (over the USB sync cord from my PC), which will include at least 3 different hard-resets, so you can't just go off and leave it.
3) Do an After restore sync

It didn't warn:
A) It would 'forget' the Trusted Devises list.

So, when I bonded (again) with the 335i, this time the phone book transfer function now worked!

They must have improved the bluetooth compatibility as a part of the software upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2008, 04:36 AM   #532
yargnat
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330D M-Sport, Le-Mans Blue

I have a Nokia E61i
It pairs, but the address book does not get transferred.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2008, 06:55 AM   #533
fyonn
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330d Saloon

re: the iPhone:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoYank View Post
It's one of the few fully compatible phones out there.
not for me it's not. I've got an '06 e90 330d with idrive and bluetooth and though it connects to my work nokia fine, when I try to connect my iphone 3g, it connects, then disconnects, connects etcetc. it really doesn't seem to want to work.

I asked my garage about it and they said that for a fee they can upgrade the bluetooth and idrive firmware to the latest ones. I'm tempted to try this, but I'd not want to spend the money and then have it not work again...

I know about the address book issue some are having with the iphone 3g, but for now, I'd like just to be able to make and receive calls...

dave
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2008, 03:38 PM   #534
SoYank
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by fyonn View Post
re: the iPhone:

not for me it's not. I've got an '06 e90 330d with idrive and bluetooth and though it connects to my work nokia fine, when I try to connect my iphone 3g, it connects, then disconnects, connects etcetc. it really doesn't seem to want to work.

I asked my garage about it and they said that for a fee they can upgrade the bluetooth and idrive firmware to the latest ones. I'm tempted to try this, but I'd not want to spend the money and then have it not work again...

I know about the address book issue some are having with the iphone 3g, but for now, I'd like just to be able to make and receive calls...

dave
Is your car still under warranty? Is the iPhone on the list of compatible phones in the UK? You may need to match the software versions of both the car and the phone because BMW won't guarantee full compatibility unless the phone's software is what has been tested.
Quaife ATB LSD • Short Shift Knob • Hartge Anti-Roll Bars • AP Racing Front Brakes • 19" Style 269
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2008, 03:53 PM   #535
fyonn
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoYank View Post
Is your car still under warranty? Is the iPhone on the list of compatible phones in the UK? You may need to match the software versions of both the car and the phone because BMW won't guarantee full compatibility unless the phone's software is what has been tested.
heh, I've had this discussion with the master technician.

yes, still under warrantee
yes, the iphone is on the list but the iphone 3g is not. in fact the iphone 3g cannot take the supported firmwares as they pre-date the phone.

apparently this software upgrade deal is an offer from BMW where I can pay €99 (why I'm quoted in euro's I'm not sure) and BMW will pay whatever the rest costs to get my car to the latest software version, this would include upgrading the car-computer if required (apparently). though they'll only do this once every twelve months whilst in warrantee

my car is from early 2006 so it should still be in warrantee until early 2009, but I'll only have 1 shot at getting the deal. if the iphone 3g is about to appear on the list then great, otherwise I'll take the deal and chance it.

certainly a lot of other people seem to be getting good compatibility, a lot better than I do.

dave
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2008, 04:17 PM   #536
dmichael
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 GTI

The previous iphone had just about perfect compatibility, but the 3g version changed the charging pins in the dock so its incompatible with your current ipod cable for charging, so you can either have access to your software or be able to charge(with a different cable) but not both at the same time.

Unless BMW specifically addresses the 3g version with a new updated cable, I doubt very much this phone will meet ALL of your expectations, so be aware of that.

I am looking into getting an iphone 3g but all I care about is to use it as a phone via bluetooth. If it can make and accept calls and have the phonebook load up, I'll be happy and continue to use a separate USB harddrive to access my music collection via the 6FL option. Regarding bluetooth; I've read here and elsewhere there is an annoying echo when using bluetooth. Caveat emptor.

I will be waiting the 3g purchase out a bit since I have been reading reports that iphone 3g phone calls have been very poor quality or constantly dropped. Looks like iphone is using a cheaper alternative no-name chip instead of the top of the line Qualcomm that most other phones use. apple always stated that they would not release a 3g phone until the chip makers could create a chip that would not be a battery hog, but both people I know that have a 3g say they have to turn off 3g for most of the day or the battery will be dead before supper. whats the point of having 3g if you can't use it as designed.
      08-18-2008, 04:26 PM   #537
fyonn
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmichael View Post
The previous iphone had just about perfect compatibility, but the 3g version changed the charging pins in the dock so its incompatible with your current ipod cable for charging, so you can either have access to your software or be able to charge(with a different cable) but not both at the same time.

Unless BMW specifically addresses the 3g version with a new updated cable, I doubt very much this phone will meet ALL of your expectations, so be aware of that.
as it happens, I don't have an official BMW charging cable, I've just got a kensington liquidaux to power, and take the audio out.

for me, it's just the bluetooth I want to work.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2008, 10:01 PM   #538
badfish
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 AW M3

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
No luck with the AT&T LG Vu CU920. I can pair it but it does not download the address book/contacts.
      08-19-2008, 02:25 PM   #539
dmichael
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by braz View Post
I did NOT read thru every page but I did do a search and wasnt able to find much help. I have a 07 328i with prem pack. I own a blackberry 8300 (Curve) on a company BES. I was able to send my entire contact list over I can make calls and receive calls no problem. I have the signal bars also.

The only problem is that when making a call I try to dial by name and I was not able to. I had to record each name. Is this cause I do NOT HAVE NAV?

My cuz has a X5 with nav and he also has a blackberry and he is able call any name with OUT traning his X5.

I found a thread on here somwhere that suggested that was the problem me not have nav but im still unsure.

Thanks in advance
Let me know if you find out any info on this, I am about to sign up for a blackberry curve and I have the premium package with no NAV, I would be ok if it copies over my phonebook and then I can manually select the number I want to dial, but obviously voice dialing would be much better.

So you are able to pair the phone, copy contacts and have good call quality thru bluetooth? That what really matters to me reliable call quality.
      08-22-2008, 01:44 PM   #540
David1
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 09 X5

I have the Verizon Blackberry curve and it will not stay paired to my wife's 07 X3 and then after the 3rd try the bluetooth locked up. Disconected the battery for an hour to reset and then repaired the phone. It worked for a day and now the car won't recognize the Curve again. I can not get it to stay paired to my 335 either. I think I will just do the LG Voyager since it is on BMW's list and be done messing around with this bluetooth crap.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2008, 02:48 PM   #541
Mech_Man
I'm feeling much better now, Dave
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i e92 (MontegoBlue/Bk)

My Palm Treo 775p (Palm OS / Verizon) didn't work until I updated it's software:

A bit over a month ago, I got a new 2008 335i (e92 with bluetooth, no iDrive, no iPod),
It paired and harvested the phone book of my Motorola Razr 3m.
Two weeks later, the Razr died and I got a 775p.

It paired and I could make and receive calls through the car, but the car didn't harvest the phone book.
(The car did harvest the Favorites Buttons over, so that was a bit useful).

Then I found out that there was a free software update for the Treo 775p,
The phone I'd purchased 7/1/08 had software version 1.07, and an upgrade to 1.08 was available at:
http://www.palm.com/us/support/downloads/
Surf to your phone and network and check if it's software has an update.

As it warned:
1) Do a Before full sync.
2) It will take about 45 minutes to update (over the USB sync cord from my PC), which will include at least 3 different hard-resets, so you can't just go off and leave it.
3) Do an After restore sync

It didn't warn that it would 'forget' the Trusted Devises list.
BUT, when I re-bonded with the 335i, this time the phone book was harvested now!

They must have improved the bluetooth compatibility as a part of the software upgrade.

Moral of the story? Check your phone's software for updates ever few months, just like your computers.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2008, 07:38 AM   #542
dmichael
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1 View Post
I have the Verizon Blackberry curve and it will not stay paired to my wife's 07 X3 and then after the 3rd try the bluetooth locked up. Disconected the battery for an hour to reset and then repaired the phone. It worked for a day and now the car won't recognize the Curve again. I can not get it to stay paired to my 335 either. I think I will just do the LG Voyager since it is on BMW's list and be done messing around with this bluetooth crap.
Thanks for the feedback, before you throw in the towel you could try to update the phones firmware.

Read This: http://www.rimarkable.com/blackberry...ackberry-curve

Im' sure you have a version of firmware that's earlier than 4.5, you probably have 4.2.

In case your wondering you have a CDMA phone because you are with Verizon. Sprint is CDMA also. T-mobile and At&T are GSM.
      08-23-2008, 01:06 PM   #543
NHSkibm
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E30, F31, L434

New to the E90 world and bluetooth capabilities...

I just got a 2006 330i with Nav/Bluetooth.

My Nokia 8800 (euro phone AT+T service) pairs great.. Addy book etc.

My CA at BMW called me today to say that it may not be on the recommended list. I have not found it on one.

A local enthusiast has the 8800 and ran it on his 330i and now 335xi. Says it is fine. But I'm told that the phone may fry a module on the bluetooth? Is this accurate? BMWNA just covering their asses?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2008, 12:23 PM   #544
PI Guy
Like Mannix...with a Bimmer!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Cabrio-ordered 3/29

How well does the LG Dare do with my Bluetooth equipped 07 335? Does it sync? Does the address book sync? Please help !
      08-27-2008, 12:29 PM   #545
PI Guy
Like Mannix...with a Bimmer!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Cabrio-ordered 3/29

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330eye View Post
Anyone know if the Dare is compatible with a E90 built after September 2006?
Did you ever get an answer to this question? Does it work? I was contemplating buying an LG DARE...
      08-27-2008, 02:24 PM   #546
limitup
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Not sure if it's the same, but I'm having problems with the LG Dare and my 07 X5. The phone pairs up, the address book transfers, etc. but when I make a call the audio is "lost". You can't hear anything through either the phone or the car's audio system. Sucks!
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2008, 10:33 AM   #547
dmichael
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

On a Blackberry Curve 8330 (Sprint) that I've only had for 3 days now, the phone pairs instantly everytime and the address book transfers over no problem. Calls sound great. The only problem is voice dialing, it seems I may have to train it. I don't have NAV/I-drive, but the last 8, top 8 missed calls etc all work perfectly. The signal bars work great too. Sometimes I get a triangle in the display, the guy at the Sprint store said thats the symbol for roaming
      08-29-2008, 01:41 PM   #548
David1
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PI Guy View Post
Did you ever get an answer to this question? Does it work? I was contemplating buying an LG DARE...
Anyone try the Dare on a E92 Yet?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2008, 12:06 PM   #549
David1
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

I just went and bought the Verizon Dare. It's a very easy phone to use! My E92 335 is a 4/07 build with iDrive. The phone paired and all functions work (including phone book transfer) even the voice commands from the steering wheel button work. But note that the final step in the pairing process took 3-5 minutes of waiting and the phone needs to be placed in bluetooth discovery mode and this only stays on for 3 minutes so you need to start paring the car first and then set the phone into this mode so you have enough time. I did everything with the car running since the car will turn off after a certain amount of time. I also have tried to pair the Dare to my 07 X3 with no success yet, but for some reason that car is pain to pair any phone to it and takes a good 20 minutes of messing around with. Now if BMW would update the compatibility list!
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2008, 11:59 AM   #550
[M3noDRFT]
[Rockville to Annandale VA in 13 minutes]
United_States
Rep
Drives: [Drophead M3]

I work at att and just tried to sync a RAZR V3-XX to this ladys Alpine E90, keeps disconnecting. Thats a very unimpressive list of phones up there. All those phones are old as dik.