E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Tyre pressure warning.

01-11-2012, 09:14 AM   #1
Sheltie
Rep
Drives: 330 m sport

Tyre pressure warning.

Hello guys. Looking for a bit of technical guidance again.

Got the other-half a 330M Sport (272bhp) last month and she (we) love it.

The tyre pressure warning sign is coming on pretty regularly. The tyre pressure hasn't dropped but it comes on when-ever we (she) goes over poor road surfaces - and there are plenty of them around here at present.

My question is: is this common or should I get it seen to?

Thanks again,

Colin.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2012, 02:13 PM   #2
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Are you resetting the TPWS, after you check and/or adjust pressures?

Could be as simple as it needs a reset.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2012, 05:22 PM   #3
m1bjr
LSD - No, you're not seeing things
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Baby F36 Gran Coupe

+1

It works by seeing the diameter of the tyres change slighty, so as one goes flat it turns a bit faster than the one opposite.

The computer registers that over a period of time, in a straight line, one wheel is rotating a bit faster than the other (it uses the ABS wheel sensors to do this)

This is not nromal behaviour, but at Pete says a reset will likely cure it - see the manual.
Ensure all cold tyre pressures are correct, reset it and drive away - as per the handbook.

You can get grief too if you have odd tyres across one axle, or one is very much newer than the opposite tyre.
One heats up a bit faster and 'bong' it registers it as a pressure difference (it really is until the other warms and catches up).
I have had this a couple of times as the lease hire idiots leave me no choice about matching brands.
Eventually I had to drive for an hour to warm then up and THEN reset the bloody thing, or else it would go off every morning after 20min!