E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Help: Foam polishing Pad soak with Compound / Wax / Glazes

01-21-2017, 02:34 PM   #1
Blueeyesredpanda
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 / F30

Help: Foam polishing Pad soak with Compound / Wax / Glazes

I detailed my car with Chemical guys 10fx.
I followed CG youtube instruction, 3 dots per area for 5.5 foam pad.
(E.g) the hood is divided into 4 small areas, which means I used 12 dots on a single pad for the hood. After polishing the hood, I found lots of powder on the pad, so I used a toothbrush to get rid of the powder.

After I was done detailing, I went to wash the pad, when I squished the pads, fresh wax, compound, glazes came right out of the pads, it look like they just came straight out of the bottle. So did I use product too much on the pads? If Yes, whats the correct amount for each pad for the hood.

Last edited by Blueeyesredpanda; 01-22-2017 at 09:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2017, 09:02 PM   #2
BashShah
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i Sedan

I want to know....I have the same problem.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2017, 08:32 AM   #3
jkrig
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07' e90 335i (SGM)

I usually spray liberally with APC initially after use, If more cleaning is necessary then I let them soak for few minutes in a 5 gallon bucket filled with about 3-4 gallons of water with a diluted pack of Snappy Boost Cleaner .....if necessary I give em a few wrings and they come out pretty clean.....

Last edited by jkrig; 01-23-2017 at 08:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2017, 07:43 AM   #4
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image

Cleaning is absolutely critical. You need to clean your pad as you are working and also very thoroughly once you are finished.

You should also use several pads for each job. As your pads become saturated with spent product and paint residue, they will become less effective. I typically recommend a minimum of 3 pads for each step of the paint correction process (ie 3 for compounding and 3 for polishing).

You can find plenty of information in this article about pads and pad cleaning....
Polishing Pads: How Many Do I Need? by Zach McGovern
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2017, 08:01 AM   #5
SHEEDI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i - Sport PKG

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Detailed Image View Post
Cleaning is absolutely critical. You need to clean your pad as you are working and also very thoroughly once you are finished.

You should also use several pads for each job. As your pads become saturated with spent product and paint residue, they will become less effective. I typically recommend a minimum of 3 pads for each step of the paint correction process (ie 3 for compounding and 3 for polishing).

You can find plenty of information in this article about pads and pad cleaning....
Polishing Pads: How Many Do I Need? by Zach McGovern

Zach,

what is the best way to clean pads during and after?
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2017, 08:28 AM   #6
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHEEDI View Post
Zach,

what is the best way to clean pads during and after?
This article walks through the basics...

Pad Cleaning During and After Polishing by Ivan Rajic

For microfiber pads, I prefer to use compressed air to clean them out during use...
How to Clean Microfiber Pads with Compressed Air by Zach McGovern

and I like to use a pressure washer after use to get the majority of the crud out before I finish cleaning them by hand...
Pad Cleaning Using a Power Washer by Greg Gellas

-Zach
Appreciate 0