E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Reset brake pad warning light on 335i?

06-07-2010, 10:11 PM   #23
Placey
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 Z4 3.0SI

Using the scroll wheel on the turn signal stalk, make sure you select the icon for front/rear brakes before hitting the BC button. You need to select what needs to be replaced before resetting anything.
And make sure you replace the brake sensor whenever you do pads.

Some E9X's have white clips on the front brake line that hold the brake pad sensor wire, I HIGHLY advise picking up one of those clips when you pick up the new sensor. Not using the clip will allow the wire to hit the inside of the wheel and after a few hundred/thousand miles will cause the light to come back on.

08 Z4 3.0SI Black Sapphire/Black Int, 6sp, Sport/Premium --- retired ---
2010 BMW 650GS -- Z4 replacement

Working with the most talented people on the most technically advanced automobiles....
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2010, 07:25 AM   #24
mskvarenina
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi

Would you guys say changing the brakes is a DIY on an E90? I've changed brake pads on all my previous vehicles and am wondering if the E90 is just as easy as all other cars?
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2010, 10:09 AM   #25
bimmernoob
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mskvarenina View Post
Would you guys say changing the brakes is a DIY on an E90? I've changed brake pads on all my previous vehicles and am wondering if the E90 is just as easy as all other cars?
yes. if you have done it in other cars, the e90 is no different. i had a harder time taking off the wheel (due to rust and corrosion between the rotor hub and the wheel) than i did replacing the brake pads.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2010, 11:38 PM   #26
blackbeast06
adrenergic stimulation
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4cs San Marino Blue

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
I figured it out (in line at Taco Bell drive through)! With the car running I pressed and held the odo reset button. Then the service warning light that was due showed up in the display. While continuing to press the odo reset button I pressed and held the BC button simutaneously. Then I simply flipped through the the icons that needed to be reset and pressed and held the BC button while a little clock showed up next to the word reset. A check mark then appeared and I scrolled to the next due warning light and did the same. I shut the car off and then restarted it and all the lights were gone!

[IMG]m4 by senntera, on Flickr[/IMG]
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2010, 09:23 PM   #27
cruvon
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbeast06 View Post
i just tried the reset on my car after installing new rear pads, rotors and sensor. i stuck the key in the ignition with foot off of the clutch and pressed the start button once. then i held the odo reset button until the yello abs light came on. then i held the bc button on the turn signal stalk. the word reset appeared and i let go of all buttons and pressed the bc button and held it. a clock appeared next to the word reset and made an animation of the clock hand moving. after this the red brake light is still on on my car. i am going to have to wait to see if it goes off after i drive it around later.
Hi, I have the same problem on installing front brake pads and using the instructions here to reset, I have the redbrake signal still on the car as well as the raised car signal both in red...the brake pad signal is with blank data :......" and in yellow, any clues please? I tried restarting the car too
Tiag E90 | JBSPEED Spli t t ers | JBSPEED ACS style Roof Spoiler | JBSPEED M3 style Trunk spoiler | Euro plates | K&N Intake | BMW OEM Performance Exhaust | Debadged | OEM Chromeline trim |230 OEM rims | 19" Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 Non runflats | OEM Burr Walnut Gear knob | OEM Blacklines | OEM Spacesaver |
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2010, 09:41 PM   #28
BKV122
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330xi  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruvon View Post
Hi, I have the same problem on installing front brake pads and using the instructions here to reset, I have the redbrake signal still on the car as well as the raised car signal both in red...the brake pad signal is with blank data :......" and in yellow, any clues please? I tried restarting the car too
did you replace the sensors?
      08-17-2010, 09:50 PM   #29
cruvon
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKV122 View Post
did you replace the sensors?
thanks for the reply, yes I did, on reset am getting the same display as in picture posted by "Jorge Leal " in this thread with no kms and in yellow
Tiag E90 | JBSPEED Spli t t ers | JBSPEED ACS style Roof Spoiler | JBSPEED M3 style Trunk spoiler | Euro plates | K&N Intake | BMW OEM Performance Exhaust | Debadged | OEM Chromeline trim |230 OEM rims | 19" Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 Non runflats | OEM Burr Walnut Gear knob | OEM Blacklines | OEM Spacesaver |
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2010, 02:21 AM   #30
cruvon
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

The display with blank kms is similar to this image I found on the forum
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-18-2010, 10:14 AM   #31
Bcube
Been there, wrecked that.
Rep
Drives: '07 E93 335i

The only I got rid of the blank dashes was to reset (disconnect and reconnect) the front sensor's plug in the left front wheel well. Then went through the computer reset again.
      08-18-2010, 07:17 PM   #32
cruvon
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcube View Post
The only I got rid of the blank dashes was to reset (disconnect and reconnect) the front sensor's plug in the left front wheel well. Then went through the computer reset again.
Thanks for the tip. Saw some posts here that said it might not work the first few times so tried again yesterday and it reset the brake pad lights, parking light and service indicator to normal, car check indicator now shows OK..thanks all you guys
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2010, 01:17 PM   #33
Bcube
Been there, wrecked that.
Rep
Drives: '07 E93 335i

Glad it worked. PITA, though.
      09-15-2010, 05:23 AM   #34
bmac
Registered
Rep
Drives: 320D M-Sport

Resetting brake pad warning light turned Yellow

Can anyone advise me on what to do when the the brake pads warning lights have turned yellow? I have recently changed the pads and sensors at an independant garage and reset the brake pads warning lights which were red, since resetting them they have stayed on and are now yellow. I have tried going through the reset procedure a few tiomes but no joy. i have seen on a few other posts and forums that this may be an ABS failure but as only happened when pads were needed I'm hoping this is not the case as a new unit is about £2,000......
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2010, 08:06 PM   #35
rault18
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

reviving an old thread.

Same issue happened to me... the "---" on the screen and the persistant car on the lift symbol..im still fighting with it.... Still on my screen...scary... When i did my brake change i replaced everything..and its been good for like 2000 miles...it triggered when i realized that the front brakes indicator was 1700 miles to go..I said lets reset this..and well..we all know what happened after that lol.

Should i keep trying to reset it? im pretty sure i tried to reset it about 8 times with same zero success . Should taking it for a spin change the situation??

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2010, 08:43 PM   #36
Atomicteal_M3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 AW

Garage List
2007 335i  [9.00]
great info!
      12-16-2010, 12:00 AM   #37
rault18
Lieutenant
Rep

alright ...so i came back from a 30 miles drive and still have the damn stupid car on a lift and the "brake" message in the cluster....faulty sensor???

anyone with experience on this?
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2010, 10:59 AM   #38
rault18
Lieutenant
Rep

FIXED!!!!

Took my wheel off...found the sensor RIPPED appart....yep yep..disconnected, took it out, replaced...BAM! new

I need to get it tight up and ziptied just for extra precausion
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2011, 11:11 AM   #39
Taylor320d
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d

Possible solution when u get all dashes "------"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcube View Post
Hi, I replaced my front brake pads and fitted a new sensor at the same time...when i came to do the reset (as shown in this thread) the mileage wouldnt reset, it just showed as (mls ------). I tryed everything to reset it but then decided to check the sensor (disconnect & reconnect)....When i disconnected and checked the pins inside the plug, one of the pins was bent over and not connecting, i managed to straighten it, then reconnected it, then did the reset and it worked....now reset at 45,000mls!!!!. PLEASE NOTE:the pins in the sensors are very flimsey and are very easily damaged if you do not quite align them when connecting up. If you have this problem then you must check the pins to ensure they are not damaged....I Hope this helps!!!!
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2011, 05:45 PM   #40
Vin_ZNT
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i Coupe

I found out that I have the hold the odometer button and when the icon comes up, I have to press the BC button TWICE instead of holding it like you guys suggested

then select the thing you want to reset.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2011, 09:46 PM   #41
clarkinc
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

I am assuming that these posts were referring to models without navigation?
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 04:37 AM   #42
calvin320d
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: e91 320d SE

I accidentally reset my front brake service light after doing an oil & filter service on my recently bought car.
My pads still had plenty of life left so the way i overcame the problem was to remove the left front wheel where the sensor was. open up the little box holding the sensor connector (just behind the suspension strut) unplug it while still connected to the brake pad, and connect a brand new one.
I then went threw the reset procedure on the dash which now worked. after which I unplugged the new sensor and reconnected the old one back in and everything went back normal. I've kept the receipt for the new sensor so will return it back to the shop today. But that will teach me not to go pressing buttons until i know what I'm doing Ha!
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 05:52 AM   #43
Atomicteal_M3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 AW

Garage List
2007 335i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkinc View Post
I am assuming that these posts were referring to models without navigation?
+1 Another assuming as well.
      03-22-2011, 07:28 PM   #44
S i n i s t e r
functionforged.com
Argentina
Rep
Drives: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbeast06 View Post
I figured it out (in line at Taco Bell drive through)! With the car running I pressed and held the odo reset button. Then the service warning light that was due showed up in the display. While continuing to press the odo reset button I pressed and held the BC button simutaneously. Then I simply flipped through the the icons that needed to be reset and pressed and held the BC button while a little clock showed up next to the word reset. A check mark then appeared and I scrolled to the next due warning light and did the same. I shut the car off and then restarted it and all the lights were gone!
This worked flawlessly, thanks for the info!
Appreciate 0