E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Catless headers question!

08-19-2014, 10:32 AM   #23
TheSt|G
Resident Tamed Racing Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 911, 130is, E39 M5, E36 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAxiom View Post
Well....on the Non M E46, they are a hit/miss. Until a vendo picked up the design and made their own variant.
From what I've seen, they have consistently been a miss with varying levels of acceptance from end users. It's not a mystery, the Chinese are seemingly incapable of anything relating to build quality. The CPI headers for the E46 would be a perfect example. Vendor designs their own stepped headers, outsources production to one of the "good" Chinese builders, and the end product lost power down low and gained only a little peak power.

Nice things require nice materials and R&D. Even the cost of just the pipe in a good grade of stainless is significantly more than those headers. You couldn't pay me to stick them on my car.
      08-19-2014, 11:53 AM   #24
SCMalum
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 328XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSt|G View Post
From what I've seen, they have consistently been a miss with varying levels of acceptance from end users. It's not a mystery, the Chinese are seemingly incapable of anything relating to build quality. The CPI headers for the E46 would be a perfect example. Vendor designs their own stepped headers, outsources production to one of the "good" Chinese builders, and the end product lost power down low and gained only a little peak power.

Nice things require nice materials and R&D. Even the cost of just the pipe in a good grade of stainless is significantly more than those headers. You couldn't pay me to stick them on my car.
The Chinese build the products that we consider high quality, and as you noted, also make poor quality products on occasion. I don't think you should paint with such a wide brush.

We know that you wouldn't use these on your car, but if you'd let the rest of us test these out and discuss this option in depth without heckling - that'd be great.
      08-19-2014, 11:59 AM   #25
TheSt|G
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCMalum View Post
The Chinese build the products that we consider high quality, and as you noted, also make poor quality products on occasion. I don't think you should paint with such a wide brush.

We know that you wouldn't use these on your car, but if you'd let the rest of us test these out and discuss this option in depth without heckling - that'd be great.
Aside from Apple products, what do the Chinese build that is considered to be high quality?

It's not heckling to point out the problems and realities of Chinese made headers on BMWs in the past. It might rain on some starry-eyed views, but if anything it is the first substantive discussion in the thread.

And for those who are worried they will raise the price, don't be. This is well within the middle range of China header pricing.
      08-19-2014, 01:23 PM   #26
tuphdc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 BMW 128i 6MT Sport Pkg

Appreciate 0
      08-19-2014, 08:54 PM   #27
Mike.
Mike: Everyone's Pal
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2013 BMW 335xi  [10.00]
so whats the consensus, is anyone taking the plunge?

Alpine MSS Stage 2+ E30 tune|MST Intakes|VRSF Single Mid Pipe|Agency Power Intercooler|VTT Full solution crank hub fix
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2014, 09:42 PM   #28
MarkkyyMan
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuphdc View Post
What is this from? lol
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2014, 09:48 PM   #29
Nordkeyz73
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 328i ZSP, Macan Turbo

I wouldn't put this on a fine German automobile. Often times you get what you pay for.
      08-19-2014, 10:21 PM   #30
tuphdc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 BMW 128i 6MT Sport Pkg

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkkyyMan View Post
What is this from? lol
i think it's breaking bad
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2014, 10:43 PM   #31
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT / E92 328 Msport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordkeyz73 View Post
I wouldn't put this on a fine German automobile. Often times you get what you pay for.
It's welded pipes, you'll be fine.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2014, 11:59 PM   #32
Neckbreaker
Private
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuphdc View Post
i think it's breaking bad
yes it is.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2014, 05:52 AM   #33
andrey_gta
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 130i coupé ;)

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
As tempting as these are, I'd like to see more photos before I pass judgement.

These remind me of headers from some exhaust tuner shop called IDX exhaust or some IDT exhaust from malasia/philipines( edit looked it up. Called innotech exhaust- they had n52 e9x headers for a few years with YouTube videos surfacing here and there )

Also there was another header available along side Obx from an okay vendor that actually sells Bmw tunning parts. Strangely their photo also had a huge collector too

These also have the Obx style huge collector which contributed to rubbing agaisnt the motor mount and in general didn't line up with exhaust midpipes.

Overall like someone said. These are disposable - I wouldn't even spend money to have them race ceramic coated

Lastly. My conscience wouldn't be clear knowing Supersprint have a proven quality product for a fair price considering r&d, welds and fitment

I'd consider S*mann headers over these for the simple reason that they have a face and have given us value in service for Blackline tail lights

"The 1-series is the last car that BMW engineered before the Germans, as a car-making culture, fell out of love with driving." - R&T 2013 135is
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2014, 07:39 AM   #34
TheSt|G
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrey_gta View Post
As tempting as these are, I'd like to see more photos before I pass judgement.

These remind me of headers from some exhaust tuner shop called IDX exhaust or some IDT exhaust from malasia/philipines( edit looked it up. Called innotech exhaust- they had n52 e9x headers for a few years with YouTube videos surfacing here and there )

Also there was another header available along side Obx from an okay vendor that actually sells Bmw tunning parts. Strangely their photo also had a huge collector too

These also have the Obx style huge collector which contributed to rubbing agaisnt the motor mount and in general didn't line up with exhaust midpipes.

Overall like someone said. These are disposable - I wouldn't even spend money to have them race ceramic coated

Lastly. My conscience wouldn't be clear knowing Supersprint have a proven quality product for a fair price considering r&d, welds and fitment

I'd consider S*mann headers over these for the simple reason that they have a face and have given us value in service for Blackline tail lights
Spot on.
      08-20-2014, 08:02 AM   #35
SCMalum
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 328XI

I'll probably be purchasing these in the next month or so. I'm trying to figure out a time with my auto shop - have to install a muffler or resonator in addition to the headers. My current set up is loud.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2014, 08:23 AM   #36
Mike.
Mike: Everyone's Pal
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2013 BMW 335xi  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCMalum View Post
I'll probably be purchasing these in the next month or so. I'm trying to figure out a time with my auto shop - have to install a muffler or resonator in addition to the headers. My current set up is loud.
get a dyno and god bless

Alpine MSS Stage 2+ E30 tune|MST Intakes|VRSF Single Mid Pipe|Agency Power Intercooler|VTT Full solution crank hub fix
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2014, 01:23 PM   #37
andrey_gta
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Looked it up - vivid racing used to sell this MXP header - that looked like OBX because of collector
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=684900

OBX - http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...7&postcount=12

"The 1-series is the last car that BMW engineered before the Germans, as a car-making culture, fell out of love with driving." - R&T 2013 135is
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2014, 01:52 PM   #38
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep

Quote:
Looked it up - vivid racing used to sell this MXP header - that looked like OBX because of collector
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=684900

OBX - http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...7&postcount=12
The MPX and OBX don't look the same to me, the collector and it's placement are more towards the primary tunes on the OBX headers.

Whoever tries them (and if they fit well) got the hp/dollar deal of a century for the N52.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2014, 01:41 AM   #39
PORTMOODY
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Coal Roller

guys. save the discussion. I am quite sure these are the ones I already ordered about a year ago and it was a waste of time. The finish is really nice and the welds. Beyond that, nothing else. The piping for the exhaust ports were a strip of metal rolled into the shape of an attempted circle and then spot welded together. This same strip was then spot welded to the piping inside the manifold. It was misaligned for that section. Additionally, these strips weren't the right diameter for the gaskets. They tried to ship with some mls gasket. This alone should show that they know jack about the n52 engine. After undoing my oem manifolds and seeing the disaster I didn't even check to see if they would line up with the mid pipes. That may be screwed too. Lastly, I can't recall how well the brackets lined up with the studs in the head.

If you want to order these, make sure you can build a jig off of the OEM manifolds and correct any issues, some of which may not even be correctable.

que the parade and then the rain.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2014, 06:43 AM   #40
TheSt|G
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PORTMOODY View Post
guys. save the discussion. I am quite sure these are the ones I already ordered about a year ago and it was a waste of time. The finish is really nice and the welds. Beyond that, nothing else. The piping for the exhaust ports were a strip of metal rolled into the shape of an attempted circle and then spot welded together. This same strip was then spot welded to the piping inside the manifold. It was misaligned for that section. Additionally, these strips weren't the right diameter for the gaskets. They tried to ship with some mls gasket. This alone should show that they know jack about the n52 engine. After undoing my oem manifolds and seeing the disaster I didn't even check to see if they would line up with the mid pipes. That may be screwed too. Lastly, I can't recall how well the brackets lined up with the studs in the head.

If you want to order these, make sure you can build a jig off of the OEM manifolds and correct any issues, some of which may not even be correctable.

que the parade and then the rain.
But but but, I was told earlier that China makes nice things.

Thanks for your review, it pretty much nails all expectations.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2014, 08:29 AM   #41
andrey_gta
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PORTMOODY View Post
guys. save the discussion. I am quite sure these are the ones I already ordered about a year ago and it was a waste of time.
Was it these that you tried ( different link than OP, but it has alot of photos)
http://www.alibaba.com/product-detai...747626889.html
http://www.alibaba.com/product-detai...411427833.html
http://www.alibaba.com/product-detai...219008271.html

Last edited by andrey_gta; 08-25-2014 at 08:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2014, 09:14 AM   #42
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep

Some of those are E46 generation headers with N series flanges.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2014, 11:37 AM   #43
PORTMOODY
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Coal Roller

Quote:
Hello my old friend . To be honest, I can't tell which company it was. It definitely didn't have the post cat o2 sensors protruding and the flanges weren't movable. It did have the recessed holes for the studs and nuts. It is pretty hit or miss with these things. I still would stick with my initial statement. Unless you have a jig and some welding experience I wouldn't go into this expecting a bolt on fit or proper workmanship.

I have nothing against chinese goods. Some of their goods are quality, some are not.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2014, 01:15 PM   #44
MarkkyyMan
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSt|G View Post

Have you ever held CPI headers or compared them in person to supersprints?
Appreciate 0