E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > Looking at ordering the TCK coilovers...

05-09-2012, 10:44 AM   #23
Chrisred
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 335xi coupe

05-10-2012, 08:58 AM   #24
Chrisred
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 335xi coupe

Just got the word from TC Kline that 800# rear is too much for the single adjustable dampers. He suggests 450-500F/700R
      05-26-2012, 09:15 PM   #25
mthomas
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi

Doyle,
So I am considering the hpa setup. This is on a 330xi which will see 1-2 track days a year, 1-2 autocross days a year. I enjoy pushing it in the twistys, but it is my DD. I am willing to give up some plushness in the ride, and enjoy the feeling of a tight, responsive vehicle, but do not want to end up with a slammed, back breaker. I was thinking of not changing the sway bars, and was not sure about subframe or other bushings. For this scenario, what spring rates do you think might be right. What is your opinion of the bushing issue? Harold felt that at 70,000 they are probably toast.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2012, 10:27 AM   #26
cyniclaus
Lifelong Cynic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 Golf R

I went with the HPA 392/728, but it hasn't shipped yet...hopefully within the next week.

Got the H&R 20mm rear ASB, M3 subframe bushings, and the Quaife pumpkin from VAC all sitting in my garage, but my installer wants to wait for the coilovers and do everything at once.

I'll let everyone know how it turns out. Thanks again to Doyle and everybody else who offered advice
      05-27-2012, 01:32 PM   #27
Doyle
Hellafunctional
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mthomas View Post
Doyle,
So I am considering the hpa setup. This is on a 330xi which will see 1-2 track days a year, 1-2 autocross days a year. I enjoy pushing it in the twistys, but it is my DD. I am willing to give up some plushness in the ride, and enjoy the feeling of a tight, responsive vehicle, but do not want to end up with a slammed, back breaker. I was thinking of not changing the sway bars, and was not sure about subframe or other bushings. For this scenario, what spring rates do you think might be right. What is your opinion of the bushing issue? Harold felt that at 70,000 they are probably toast.
I would do exactly what cyniclaus has done in his post above (minus LSD).

The car needs stiffer bars, and yes, I would look at swapping the bushings while you're down there.

I think you'll be very happy with the results.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2012, 12:28 PM   #28
cyniclaus
Lifelong Cynic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 Golf R

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyniclaus View Post
I went with the HPA 392/728, but it hasn't shipped yet...hopefully within the next week.

Got the H&R 20mm rear ASB, M3 subframe bushings, and the Quaife pumpkin from VAC all sitting in my garage, but my installer wants to wait for the coilovers and do everything at once.
HPA just wrote me that they won't have the externally adjustable dampers in until 20 July
      06-10-2012, 08:52 PM   #29
RevC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: a couple fast toys

doyle- bravo, your knowledge always impresses me, you are a true asset to this forum.

OP- here's my two cents: I drive my 3er mostly on the street, with a few track events a year. it's not my track duty car. It won't see serious track abuse so i never deemed it necessary to build it into a track car, just a car that can get around a track if i want it to. if you're a seasoned track driver, you'll realize this car isn't exactly the best platform from the get go to build a dedicated track car upon- although it's not impossible. through a member here, i went with the HPA kit with adj rears, which imho is the better buy, includes the coveted swift upgrade. i wanted the externally adj. rears, thrust sheets, camber plates, bushings, etc-- because i know the car will see at least one track day this month and while its apart, its probably more cost effective for me to have everything upgraded and overhauled at the same time. you don't necessarily "need" any of these upgrades but again..subjective. take your car to the track? go ext adj and camber plates, you'll want them. the spring rates for me wil be the "recommended" rates, a topic of which i won't touch with a twenty foot pole. When they go in, i will give it a week and write a review including my personal impressions of the kit. i've roadtested the TCK KIT, and well..it's fantastic, so i wonder how much better the HPA kit will feel. if you want to wait until then..but i won't make you. there's tons of great info here, doyle covered basically everything. make a decision based on your needs and the way you drive your car cheers,

SGM e92 335xi|Helix|AFE|AWE|PROCEDE|SYNAPSE|ER|OSS|BMW PERFORMANCE|P3|always growing..

Last edited by RevC; 06-10-2012 at 09:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2012, 09:33 AM   #30
Timmayy
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i Blk/Blk xDrive 6MT

Just a bump to thank Doyle for reminding me why I still read forums, and to ask for updates on the few folks that have upgrades in-work.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2013, 05:45 PM   #31
rob1024
First Lieutenant
Poland
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 335i

Hp kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevC View Post
doyle- bravo, your knowledge always impresses me, you are a true asset to this forum.

OP- here's my two cents: I drive my 3er mostly on the street, with a few track events a year. it's not my track duty car. It won't see serious track abuse so i never deemed it necessary to build it into a track car, just a car that can get around a track if i want it to. if you're a seasoned track driver, you'll realize this car isn't exactly the best platform from the get go to build a dedicated track car upon- although it's not impossible. through a member here, i went with the HPA kit with adj rears, which imho is the better buy, includes the coveted swift upgrade. i wanted the externally adj. rears, thrust sheets, camber plates, bushings, etc-- because i know the car will see at least one track day this month and while its apart, its probably more cost effective for me to have everything upgraded and overhauled at the same time. you don't necessarily "need" any of these upgrades but again..subjective. take your car to the track? go ext adj and camber plates, you'll want them. the spring rates for me wil be the "recommended" rates, a topic of which i won't touch with a twenty foot pole. When they go in, i will give it a week and write a review including my personal impressions of the kit. i've roadtested the TCK KIT, and well..it's fantastic, so i wonder how much better the HPA kit will feel. if you want to wait until then..but i won't make you. there's tons of great info here, doyle covered basically everything. make a decision based on your needs and the way you drive your car cheers,
So how is it. Any better than the TCK singles with their VVS springs.
Appreciate 0