E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Brake Service Light - How to Reset

02-27-2012, 02:56 PM   #23
07bmw335iguy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i Sedan

Just got off the phone with the dealer about it, he told me if replacing the brakes and sensors didnt work then they would have to reprogram the whole car, said it would cost $800. Just great, think I'll just do the quick sensor fix and order some new ones.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2012, 09:05 AM   #24
raiderUM
Rep
Drives: 330i

^^^Has anyone else came to the same conclusion? I too have replaced pads and sensor cable and am still unable to reset "BRAKE" light on dash
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2012, 09:13 PM   #25
juice13
Private
Rep
Drives: '07 335 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by raiderUM View Post
^^^Has anyone else came to the same conclusion? I too have replaced pads and sensor cable and am still unable to reset "BRAKE" light on dash
I replaced sensors and pads and rotors all around and was able to reset the BRAKE light for several months and several thousand miles.

Then the service light (little red car on lift) came on and the BRAKE light showed back up at the same time.

I bit the bullet and spent the 2.5 hours labor on the dealer "inspection" and "code download". This was my last service within the CPO warranty most likely so I wanted them to give it a good look. Little red car on lift is gone and so is the BRAKE light. All they did was reset that inspection light; no brake work or reset was done.

At least I had a 20% coupon.

Now all is good.

-Jonathan
'07 335i E90 blue/brown/stock/stick/sport/stuff
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 04:30 PM   #26
crypticc
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 DCT + Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by raiderUM
You must do rear first sometimes.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 10:25 PM   #27
07bmw335iguy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i Sedan

What worked for me was to just strip the sensors and connect the wires together. Immediately after that I used the bc to reset it and it finally let me do it. No brake light on or red car on lift, best part is that it didnt cost me anything.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2012, 12:38 PM   #28
allknight
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi

This worked for me

Trying the reset after an early pad replacement put me as service required in minus 9000 miles with a permanent brake light. Attempting to reset again wouldn't put me in the service menu until I read another thread which added a step of pressing and holding BC before hitting the odometer reset, as in 2a below...
1)Insert key (car doors closed) 2)Press start/stop without clutch/brake 2a)when panel lights stabilize, press/hold BC until clock appears in panel 3)then press and hold the odometer reset for 3 secs, etc, etc. Armed with that, I could now perform the reset repeatedly with the same -9000 mile result. Then I read here that shorting out the wear sensor can work, so I took off the drivers side wheel (no sensor on the passengers side) and opened the door to the plastic box holding the wear sensor plug. I pulled out the plug going to the sensor and inserted a short loop of bare 24-guage wire into the holes in the white connector (a paper clip is too thick). I then got back in the car and did the reset and it worked. I removed the jumper, put everything back together, and all's well, so far.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2012, 09:25 AM   #29
nyc3r
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by allknight View Post
Trying the reset after an early pad replacement put me as service required in minus 9000 miles with a permanent brake light. Attempting to reset again wouldn't put me in the service menu until I read another thread which added a step of pressing and holding BC before hitting the odometer reset, as in 2a below...
1)Insert key (car doors closed) 2)Press start/stop without clutch/brake 2a)when panel lights stabilize, press/hold BC until clock appears in panel 3)then press and hold the odometer reset for 3 secs, etc, etc. Armed with that, I could now perform the reset repeatedly with the same -9000 mile result. Then I read here that shorting out the wear sensor can work, so I took off the drivers side wheel (no sensor on the passengers side) and opened the door to the plastic box holding the wear sensor plug. I pulled out the plug going to the sensor and inserted a short loop of bare 24-guage wire into the holes in the white connector (a paper clip is too thick). I then got back in the car and did the reset and it worked. I removed the jumper, put everything back together, and all's well, so far.
Got any picture of the loop fix you did? I replace my pads, sensors didn't trip off, still says 5000 miles.. then I did a reset and now it says -15000 miles.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2013, 09:41 PM   #30
MarkTTU
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by allknight View Post
Worked perfectly for me. Used a wire out of a cat5 cable (solid core cat5 is 24awg). Thanks for the tip!!
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2013, 01:53 PM   #31
neoduffer
Fast In, Slow Out
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 E90 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradford View Post
I recently replaced my rear brake pads at the track and didn't have a spare pad level sensor handy, so I've been rolling with the brake light service required lamp lit.

I took the car to the dealer for some other issues and the SA told me that the code associated with the brake light will cause the DME to take speed-prevention countermeasures such as cutting the throttle because "it doesn't want you going fast without brakes".

Normally, I would completely discount such a story as pure BS, but this SA (and the tech that worked on my car) is respected in the local BMW club, and they're both racers as well. Coupled with the fact that nanny-features are becoming so prevalent in today's cars, I'm actually considering believing it.

Has anyone heard of anything like this?
Answering an old question...

My front brake sensor tripped during a HPDE weekend and the DME did intervene for about the first mile of each session while not corrected.
      03-30-2013, 11:01 AM   #32
baron62
Rep
Drives: 328xi

This works perfectly

Quote:
Originally Posted by issabmw View Post
Put the key in, press start without brake to enable accessory mode, wait until the service reminders go away to the normal screen, hold the odometer reset button until a yellow triangle pops up, scroll to whatever service reminder you would like to clear, press BC until reset option comes up, hold BC to reset, and youre all set
If you follow it exactly..Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2013, 08:15 PM   #33
deeepsix
Registered
Rep
Drives: e93 335i, e46m3

hopefully this will help some people...i had the same issue, reset brake linings by mistake, had the red car on a lift, red brake light, front/rear warnings, etc. tried jumping, didn't work. tried new sensors and it didn't work UNTIL i changed the back and front. however, i simply unplugged the existing, plugged in the new ones (still in the bag), did the cluster reset procedure, powered down and plugged the "old ones" back in and re assembled. fixed. **it seems the back sensor must be done as well if they are both on due to this issue, cannot reset the front without the rear sensor being "changed" as well
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 02:57 AM   #34
crypticc
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 DCT + Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeepsix View Post
hopefully this will help some people...i had the same issue, reset brake linings by mistake, had the red car on a lift, red brake light, front/rear warnings, etc. tried jumping, didn't work. tried new sensors and it didn't work UNTIL i changed the back and front. however, i simply unplugged the existing, plugged in the new ones (still in the bag), did the cluster reset procedure, powered down and plugged the "old ones" back in and re assembled. fixed. **it seems the back sensor must be done as well if they are both on due to this issue, cannot reset the front without the rear sensor being "changed" as well
Yep. I had same even though no change to sensor itself (mine was tripped early to minus 100k when I had car new). Wouldn't let me set front until doing the back first in the same session. Was repeatable but if you try front without back it won't work.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2014, 07:18 AM   #35
gimmethemuumuu
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 F80 M3, SO/Bk

My front brakes were replaced a while and my rears were coming due. However, they still had about 7-8K left, IIRC. then, all of a sudden, with no brake being done, I got the red car on a lift. I tried several resets. However, both front and rear were showing dashes and refused to reset.

The solution for me was to plug in, temporarily, new front and rear sensors. I didn't put them in the pads. I just unplugged the old and plugged in the new. Then I was able to perform the reset without issue. In fact, having the fronts reset to a full interval left and the rears now show 12K left (which seems about right looking at them). After the successful reset, I unplugged the new sensors and re-plugged in the old. Two days later and no problems. I'll update if that changes but I think we're good

An update to the general reset procedure: All I did was press and hold the tripometer reset and BC button at the same time. After a few seconds, the yellow triangle will show. Then, after another second or two, the service info items will be shown and can be cycled through and reset. This procedure can be done any time with the key on, even with the car running. You can even get do it when the car is at a stoplight, just not while moving--just like the normal service info screen when not in reset mode.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2015, 05:31 PM   #36
Beberle
Rep
Drives: 2009 328it

I just replaced my front rotors and pads before I wore through the front sensor. However, like everyone else, when I tried to reset the service interval, I wound up with Both front and rear mileages showing '_ _ _ _' as well as the red-car-on-lift service warning and red 'BRAKE' light while driving.
- upon closer inspection, I did have wear on the front pad sensor. I've read that they increase resistance as they wear. The computer will not allow a reset unless there is zero resistance in the circuit. It took me three tries, but I created a jumper using a garbage bag tie to short out the front sensor plug. I had to fold the tie wire on each end to get a tight enough fit into the plug for it to finally work!
No more warning lights after I plugged the old sensor back in. I'll probably buy a new sensor anyways since I let this one get too far.
Attached Images

Last edited by Beberle; 04-29-2015 at 05:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2019, 06:48 PM   #37
Rjeffel75
Registered
Rep
Drives: 328i 2010 BMW

328i 2010 BMW

I have a 328i bmw 2010 I changed both the rear and front brake pads and sensor and manually reset the brake pad warning light. It reset to make it to around 30,000 miles .
But my car it’s at 58926 miles?
And the car still says service required front and rear brakes pads?
Can someone help me please.TY
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2019, 05:34 AM   #38
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rjeffel75 View Post
I have a 328i bmw 2010 I changed both the rear and front brake pads and sensor and manually reset the brake pad warning light. It reset to make it to around 30,000 miles .
But my car it’s at 58926 miles?
And the car still says service required front and rear brakes pads?
Can someone help me please.TY
When you go into the CBS menu and call up the brake pad wear for both the front and rear, does the display report "---" or a mileage like "30,000"? Also does the red-car-on-lift notification come up every time you turn off the engine?

If the CBS displays a mileage figure and there is no red-car-on-lift notification, then the CBS is just reporting the estimated miles left on the new pads you just installed, meaning the computer is estimating that you will need the next pad replacement at 88,000 miles (i.e. 30,000 miles added onto the current miles on the car). The CBS estimates the new remaining mileage for the pads based on the previous use of the brakes (i.e. when they wore out and were replaced). As you drive the car with the new brakes installed, if you periodically check the CBS for the estimated mileage, it will vary, so don't let it confuse you if it does. The mileage estimate should gradually decrease, but sometimes it may go up as the system detects the wear pattern of the brakes.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0