E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Navigation questions

01-21-2007, 07:54 PM   #1
triton3k
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Acura TL Type-S

Navigation questions

Hello all. Im new here and in the process of ordering a 2007 328xi. Ive been alittle undecided about either the 335i coupe or the 328xi and since im not the one who's gonna be driving the car much I figured i'd get the AWD option since im in New York city. But besides that im still deciding on whether to get Navigation on the car.
I'd like to know why did some of you get the navigation and why did some go against it?
How accurate is the navigation on BMW's?
Any downsides to having it?
Do some regret not getting it?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2007, 08:05 PM   #2
STE92VE
STEVIL Empire
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

I didn't get the Nav, because I grew up in the city and spend most of my time in the metro NY area. There are very few places in the vicinity that I won't know how to get to. If I go out of the area and need directions, maps.google.com works for me. As for AWD, within 24 hours after a major snow storm, the roads are clear, and you shouldn't be out in a major snow storm with or with out AWD anyway. I elected not to go that route as well.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2007, 08:16 PM   #3
Hawkshaw
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3 xDrive28i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
I got the navigation more for the iDrive system and screen. I'm a bit of a tech geek, so I like the interaction and some of the neat features. I love all of the hands free / voice command phone features, and like to look at my list of mp3's (from an mp3 CD) on the screen. I also like the look of the dash with the iDrive screen

I've only used the nav a handful of times, but have had no complaints with it. Nav will gets lots of use later this year when I take my car on a vacation.

Good luck.
      01-21-2007, 08:20 PM   #4
bavarian19
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

As the previous poster stated, there is much more to the idrive system than just the navigation. There are much more features and control over car functions through idrive than without it.

If you have an ipod and you get the integration kit (as I have), you can then charge and completely control your ipod from the idrive controller...
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2007, 08:20 PM   #5
335inSC
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

I got nav basically because I'm a bit of a gadget freak and b/c I wanted iDrive (i know... some people hate it but get over it). I like having one central location for controlling all aspects of the car.

As for the navigation itself. All in all I like it. the one major shortfall is that you can't simply enter a POI by name. In other words, if you're looking for a specific restaurant (you know the name) you can't simply type it in and have it search for it. Instead you have to use the database hiearchy (restaurants, then find the right cuisine, etc) and then they are listed in order of distance from either your location or destination (you choose).

But other than that, it's fine. Accuracy is great. The real-time traffic info is great.

i'll get it on my next bimmer and hope that they've upgraded to improve on the bigger issues.

Last edited by 335inSC; 01-21-2007 at 09:59 PM.. Reason: typo
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2007, 08:26 PM   #6
Fester
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 Porsche 911 (991) 4S

Go for the NAV if you like gadgets and easy graphic personalization of your auto. Otherwise, the NAV itself pretty much sucks!
      01-21-2007, 08:28 PM   #7
triton3k
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerEnvy View Post
I didn't get the Nav, because I grew up in the city and spend most of my time in the metro NY area. There are very few places in the vicinity that I won't know how to get to. If I go out of the area and need directions, maps.google.com works for me. As for AWD, within 24 hours after a major snow storm, the roads are clear, and you shouldn't be out in a major snow storm with or with out AWD anyway. I elected not to go that route as well.

hmmm
that makes a bit of sense but I just like having the security of knowing that its AWD. I've never owned an AWD car or RWD car. I've owed Acuras since I got my first car.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2007, 08:32 PM   #8
STE92VE
STEVIL Empire
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by triton3k View Post
hmmm
but I just like having the security of knowing that its AWD.
That's the only reason you need to get AWD....:rocks:
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2007, 08:33 PM   #9
triton3k
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkshaw View Post
I got the navigation more for the iDrive system and screen. I'm a bit of a tech geek, so I like the interaction and some of the neat features. I love all of the hands free / voice command phone features, and like to look at my list of mp3's (from an mp3 CD) on the screen. I also like the look of the dash with the iDrive screen

I've only used the nav a handful of times, but have had no complaints with it. Nav will gets lots of use later this year when I take my car on a vacation.

Good luck.

Im a tech geek too.
I got my 2006 Acura TL without Navigation and that was one of my biggest regrets with the car. I didnt realize how much more fun the car can be with Navigation.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2007, 08:34 PM   #10
triton3k
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335inSC View Post
I got nav basically because I'm a bit of a gadget freak and b/c I wanted iDrive (i know... some people hate it but get over it). I like having one central location for controlling all aspects of the car.

As for the navigation itself. All in all I like it. the one major shortfall is that you can't simply enter a POI by name. in pther words, if you're looking for a specific restaurant (you know the name) you can't simply type it in and have it search for it. Instead you have to use the database hiearchy (restaurants, then find the right cuisine, etc) and then they are listed in order of distance from either your location or destination (you choose).

But other than that, it's fine. Accuracy is great. The real-time traffic info is great.

i'll get it on my next bimmer and hope that they've upgraded to improve on the bigger issues.

I recently found out that the nav has real time traffic which is a big plus for us.
We will begin the process of getting the car either this wednesday coming or saturday. Wish us luck with the deal.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2007, 08:37 PM   #11
triton3k
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That's the only reason you need to get AWD....:rocks:

How are you liking your E92?
we're still debating on a color. We like the Artic Metallic but also like the Alpine White.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2007, 08:43 PM   #12
STE92VE
STEVIL Empire
United_States
Rep

Just ordered last week...will take PCD in April.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2007, 09:04 PM   #13
Blue328xi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by triton3k View Post
Hello all. Im new here and in the process of ordering a 2007 328xi. Ive been alittle undecided about either the 335i coupe or the 328xi and since im not the one who's gonna be driving the car much I figured i'd get the AWD option since im in New York city. But besides that im still deciding on whether to get Navigation on the car.
I'd like to know why did some of you get the navigation and why did some go against it?
How accurate is the navigation on BMW's?
Any downsides to having it?
Do some regret not getting it?
I dont regret getting it. The interface is a little clunky but not too bad. For me I think its worth it. Its nice to know I can drive wherever I want and know Ill be able to find my way back
      01-21-2007, 09:56 PM   #14
KBMW69
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i

if I were you, I would get the 335 instead... and I always get navigation in every car... I love having a on board computer screen
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2007, 10:24 PM   #15
Curious Joel
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i Montego/Saddle

I just ordered my car on Friday and I got it with Nav. I had navigation in my X5. I didn't have it in my E46 330, and I regretted it. I ended up buying a Garmin Nuvi 350. I also ordered the Nav for more than just the navigation. Nav is a good thing to have, just in case. Also, I'm moving to Florida in the fall and I'm sure it'll come in handy. The new iDrive-controlled iPod interface was another reason. That's the only thing I ever listen to in the car, and having a more usable interface than the first-generation iPodyourBMW system is a plus. Also, having the screen makes it easier to use Bluetooth with your phone book.
And from what I saw in the E92 accessories manual, there is an option for a reverse camera, so that would come in handy.
Sport/Steptronic/Paddles/Premium/CA
PDC/Nav/6FL/etc.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2007, 11:17 PM   #16
triton3k
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Just ordered last week...will take PCD in April.

oh congrats.
Definately post pics when you get it.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2007, 11:19 PM   #17
triton3k
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBMW69 View Post
if I were you, I would get the 335 instead... and I always get navigation in every car... I love having a on board computer screen

I would love to get the 335 but what a big price difference it is from the 328.
Im not getting the 3 series for myself as I stated. I most likely will end up getting a 535i for myself before the year is up. But we shall see how things go in the next couple of days.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2007, 11:21 PM   #18
triton3k
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious Joel View Post
I just ordered my car on Friday and I got it with Nav. I had navigation in my X5. I didn't have it in my E46 330, and I regretted it. I ended up buying a Garmin Nuvi 350. I also ordered the Nav for more than just the navigation. Nav is a good thing to have, just in case. Also, I'm moving to Florida in the fall and I'm sure it'll come in handy. The new iDrive-controlled iPod interface was another reason. That's the only thing I ever listen to in the car, and having a more usable interface than the first-generation iPodyourBMW system is a plus. Also, having the screen makes it easier to use Bluetooth with your phone book.
And from what I saw in the E92 accessories manual, there is an option for a reverse camera, so that would come in handy.

Yea im definately getting nav from this point on. Like I said before, it was one of my biggest regrets with my TL. I hope to never feel like that again. I also ended up getting a Garmin Nuvi 360 which is cool but it still doesnt have that OEM feel to it at all.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2007, 10:39 AM   #19
LarryK1000
Larry from Los Angeles
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

I've had the Nav system for about 9 months now.

I agree with most of the above posts:

The NAV system is good because of the screen that is useful for all of the non-nav systems on the car.

As for the Navigation part, it is really bad. For anyone who has ever used a standalone system, (I have the Magellan RoadMate 800), the BMW system is SO OLD and OUTDATED, it's amazing.

It is down right painful to use. You cannot enter a name of a restaurant, etc., and have it find it. That is the MAJOR drawback of the BMW system. So, if you want to find a gas station, you have to go to all this sub-menus and ask for the type of thing you're looking for and then it gives them to you based upon the closest to you. And, they are NOT alphabetized. So, let's say you know the name of a restaurant: You have to go through the list from top to bottom looking for that name. There could be 50 restaurants in the vicinity (happens all the time in Los Angeles). It take forever. On the Magellan unit, you type in the name of the restaurant, it searches, finds it, and you just say ROUTE and, that's it. It is very hard to do on the BMW. What I do is use the Magellan unit to search and get me an address BEFORE I leave the house and enter THAT into the BMW system. Having an address is really the best way to go on the BMW system. Searching for a place is virtually impossible, unless you don't mind sitting in the car for 5 to 10 minutes before you hit the road. The Magellan (and I'm sure the other standalone systems are the same) finds the place in, literally, 15 seconds, and you're on your way.

If BMW were smart, it wouldn't try to invent the wheel and it would license the software from a company such as Magellan and put THAT in the small right-side screen of the iDrive system. It is almost the same size as the handheld units and works SO MUCH BETTER.

No matter what anyone says, unless you've owned your own standalone system (or used the Hertz Never Lost System -- it's actually a Magellan unit), you don't have enough data to say that the BMW Navigation System is good.

Too often, people justify what they have just because they don't want to admit it isn't perfect. Well folks, the BMW Navigation system is just bad.

Having said that, I am still glad I got the iDrive system, for all its other functions.

Larry in Los Angeles
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2007, 11:03 AM   #20
Lassaxi
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: April ED - E90 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryK1000 View Post
I've had the Nav system for about 9 months now.

I agree with most of the above posts:

The NAV system is good because of the screen that is useful for all of the non-nav systems on the car.

As for the Navigation part, it is really bad. For anyone who has ever used a standalone system, (I have the Magellan RoadMate 800), the BMW system is SO OLD and OUTDATED, it's amazing.

It is down right painful to use. You cannot enter a name of a restaurant, etc., and have it find it. That is the MAJOR drawback of the BMW system. So, if you want to find a gas station, you have to go to all this sub-menus and ask for the type of thing you're looking for and then it gives them to you based upon the closest to you. And, they are NOT alphabetized. So, let's say you know the name of a restaurant: You have to go through the list from top to bottom looking for that name. There could be 50 restaurants in the vicinity (happens all the time in Los Angeles). It take forever. On the Magellan unit, you type in the name of the restaurant, it searches, finds it, and you just say ROUTE and, that's it. It is very hard to do on the BMW. What I do is use the Magellan unit to search and get me an address BEFORE I leave the house and enter THAT into the BMW system. Having an address is really the best way to go on the BMW system. Searching for a place is virtually impossible, unless you don't mind sitting in the car for 5 to 10 minutes before you hit the road. The Magellan (and I'm sure the other standalone systems are the same) finds the place in, literally, 15 seconds, and you're on your way.

If BMW were smart, it wouldn't try to invent the wheel and it would license the software from a company such as Magellan and put THAT in the small right-side screen of the iDrive system. It is almost the same size as the handheld units and works SO MUCH BETTER.

No matter what anyone says, unless you've owned your own standalone system (or used the Hertz Never Lost System -- it's actually a Magellan unit), you don't have enough data to say that the BMW Navigation System is good.

Too often, people justify what they have just because they don't want to admit it isn't perfect. Well folks, the BMW Navigation system is just bad.

Having said that, I am still glad I got the iDrive system, for all its other functions.

Larry in Los Angeles
I guess for me, the lack of POI serching doesn't really make the system bad, just not as useful as it could be. I have a Garmin StreetPilot in another car, and I've only really used a POI search a handful of times. Most of the time, I know my destination before I'm headed out, and can just enter an address directly into the unit.

Aside from the lack of POI serching, how do you like the BMW system otherwise? Are the directions generally accurate with good routing, etc.? Also, how are the voice prompts? Decent text-to-speech functionality?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2007, 11:16 AM   #21
LarryK1000
Larry from Los Angeles
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

It's not only the POI system that isn't great, but the other deficiencies are not THAT bad.

The voice instructions are NOT as clear as the Magellan. For instance, last night we were on the freeway and when we reached the interchange, the BMW lady said take the next exit and after that, she said bear left.

That's OK. But, not as clear as the Magellan lady. She would say, stay to the right and then stay to the left, all in one quick instruction, not two separate ones. Also, an interchange is NOT AN EXIT. So, it's confusing when the BMW calls it an EXIT. Also, since the BMW system calls it an exit, when there was a real EXIT just before the interchange, the BMW lady says take the SECOND EXIT (meaning the interchange change of direction AFTER a real EXIT). The Magellan instruction only uses the word EXIT when it's a real EXIT. It is VERY CLEAR. Also, the Magellan system rings a BELL just before you are to make a move. That is REALLY HELPFUL, because if it ever DOES get confusing, you don't do ANYTHING until you hear the bell. It's really good.

As to routes. They both do the same, basically. No real difference between them because they all use the same NAVTEQ data.

As to accuracy, the BMW system is a little delayed -- more than the Magellan. When you come up to an intersection, the Magellan system seems to know BEFORE you reach it and it gives you the instruction just BEFORE you have to make a move. On the BMW, when I have been sitting IN an intersection waiting for a light to turn green, the BMW screen still stays I have 50 to 100 feet BEFORE I reach the place I'm sitting in. Usually, only AFTER I turn the corner, does it say "0" feet for the turn. It isn't too big a problem, but it's confusing having it report AFTER the fact.

The BMW system refreshes quickly. It re-routes a little slower than the Magellan system. But, both are fine.

The nice thing about the BMW system is that it uses a compass and the a wheel sensor to report to the NAV system on turns. Therefore, if you are in a tunnel or parking lot, the BMW system will continue to move the map, etc., while the handheld's lose the satellite signal and don't really know where you are. Again, tunnels are rare, so it's not a spectacular win for the BMW, but it is nice.

Larry
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2007, 12:32 PM   #22
chicagosteve
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 328xi

I've had my car with NAV for about a month (and 2 weeks in europe). I have absolutely no regrets with the system. I agree that the interface can be improved, it would be nice to specify a location or restaurant name, but it doesnt do that. I love the Real time traffic information. I use it every day. My daily commute is about 15 miles and the system give great info about the current traffic conditions. unfortunately it only has highway information, but it's still useful.