Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Here's my Rant

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

04-28-2010, 02:43 PM   #1
WAG
Rep
Drives: 335i conv

Here's my Rant

Don't get me started about run-flat tires. I just returned from a cross-country road trip that had an inauspicious beginning. I'm driving a 2008 E93 with sports package and, at the time 17,000 miles. I inspected the car before I left and set off on a Sunday to escape DC congestion. Some 300 miles into the trip the right rear tire blows. I didn't notice it at first, but I immediately slowed the car when the tire pressure warning light came on. The nearest BMW dealership was 75 miles away so I thought I might be able to make it on the run-flat. That didn't happen.

Just five miles later the entire tire disintegrated, leaving me stranded in no-wheresland. The BMW emergency service team was great in getting me towed into town, and the dealership in Charleston, WV did me a big favor by taking me early the next morning to replace both rear tires. That was a minor setback, and I was soon on the road (after paying $900).

Son that was day one. On Day Three I noticed a bulging bubble on my left front tire, which replaced the former left front tire only 4,000 miles earlier for a similar condition. This time I'm in the middle of Kansas with no dealership for several hundred miles. It was a harrowing experience, knowing that if it blows I'm really stuck. I made it to Denver, having driven ridiculously slow on the highway. So, two new tires were added on, this time for the front, and out-of-pocket expenses for $750.

So, I give my rant to BMW NA, telling them that I was going to switch to normal tires, and I'm cautioned against it because the car was "engineered" to run on RFTs and it might affect my warranty.

I've hated these RFTs since day one, but at least, I thought, they would give me some value, namely being able to drive a hundred miles once the tire blows. That didn't happen; not even close.

I've never had problems with low profile tires in the past, and now all of a sudden with the RFTs I've got to replace FIVE tires before 18,000 miles. Something's wrong.

I think BMW moved too quickly to RFTs before they were perfected. Bridgstone won't take my calls.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2010, 02:47 PM   #2
Tee212
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: yes

Garage List
2010 335  [8.00]
Thats a burn man, what did bmw na tell you?
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2010, 03:04 PM   #3
alpha325i
this chick >
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAG View Post
Son that was day one.

E90 325i - totaled 03/17/10 (R.I.P.)
E92 328i - took delivery 04/02/10
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2010, 03:07 PM   #4
335i_4D
Now in the dark side !
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 911S 997.2 Cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAG View Post
Don't get me started about run-flat tires.... Bridgestone won't take my calls.
Was wondering when I was looking at the post.
At the very bottom .. there's the answer.

Just replaced the Bridgestone with Michelin, and I can't be happier.

But if I ever go with 19", I think I'll switch to non-RFT.
Not there yet.
2010 X5 35d Black fully loaded (Sold)
2007 335i sedan Antracite (Sold and missed !)
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2010, 12:42 PM   #5
Bimmer This
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

I've always hated runflats on any car!
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2010, 08:03 PM   #6
Laverne
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335i Space Gray 6 Sp

Michelin ZP vs Bridgestone Potenza RF

I replaced the OEM Bridgestone RFs last week on my E92 335i with Sports Package, and bought Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 ZP. My experience is as follows:

Price: Comparable (no great difference)

Noise: Michelin's are considerably quieter (but they are new, so they should be)

[B Road 'Behavior"[/B]: Sorry for the unorthodox category, but the Michelin's are much more forgiving on bad surfaces. The tires appear to be immune to vertical lines. The Bridgestones would get very squirly and follow vertical grooves. The ZPs cut through like they were not there. And, I no longer live in fear of pot holes.

Handling:
Well, there is also no comparison, but in the wrong direction. I am very surprised at how mushy these tire feel, especially at higher speeds. The car feels like it over-steers now. The difference was so pronounced that I took the car back to Discount Tire, and they noticed that the left rear tire was W rated and they replaced it to match the other 3 Y rated tires. Of course, that did not help. These tires feel sloppy to me. I don't mind that they loose grip a little more quickly - I can live with that...but the sloppiness is very disappointing.

I am Not sure what to do.
Appreciate 0