E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Dynavin D99

01-31-2012, 08:51 AM   #133
jeffb335
Rep
Drives: BMW

Is it just weaker than stock or is it almost not there at all?

Could be that the antenna came loose, also could be that your installer plugged the radio antenna into the TMC plug as they are similar (not all units will have this, it varies by dealer/region/availability).

Last edited by jeffb335; 01-31-2012 at 09:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2012, 09:15 AM   #134
spmd11
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

Radio works but reception is poor. I can no longer listen
to my favorite local station even though it's
a very strong station. My installer checked
the factory amplifier to the antenna which
is fine. He also tried attaching a separate
antenna straight into the unit. No help
      01-31-2012, 09:37 AM   #135
spmd11
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb335
Is it just weaker than stock or is it almost not there at all?

Could be that the antenna came loose, also could be that your installer plugged the radio antenna into the TMC plug as they are similar (not all units will have this, it varies by dealer/region/availability).
So if it's not the TMC plug, what should it be plugged into?
      01-31-2012, 09:43 AM   #136
Simon.bmw
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 323I.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb335 View Post
I don't think you understand, it is against the forum rules for non sponsors to discuss selling on this forum. Discussing this with you further on this forum could get me banned. I already answered you question via email....

Well that is why I started contributing to these threads.....
Alright but I didn't receive any email from u and I shoot u a pm, u didn't replay me..lol anyway. Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2012, 09:55 AM   #137
cudabnu
Loose nut behind the wheel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 328I E91

Try using the stylus, it works great when scrolling and setting up everything. I was trying to use by finger, but would end up pushing a button when trying to scroll up or down. At first I was thinking about ditching it, but the more I use it and get familiar with it, the more I like it. There are a few things I wish were better. Currently it is the output levels between the radio/CD/DVD etc, I have to adjust the volume much higher to get the same sound level going between the radio and a CD or a DVD. Radio will play the loudest at the same volume level. I am really digging the Sygic navigation software I downloaded.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2012, 10:19 AM   #138
jeffb335
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spmd11 View Post
So if it's not the TMC plug, what should it be plugged into?
the radio antenna plug....if your unit has a TMC plug they look the same as the radio antenna (but they are labeled) so it would be easy to mix them up.

If thats not it then I dont know, radio reception on these isnt perfect but it isnt terrible either, contact your dealer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon.bmw View Post
Alright but I didn't receive any email from u and I shoot u a pm, u didn't replay me..lol anyway. Thank you.
maybe it was a different guy.....I got an email with the same question at the same time you sent me that PM, coincidence I suppose.

As I said though, I wont do any commercial related posts here so dont ask, Im here as a forum member and BMW enthusiast only....I was just over on the MS-8 thread as I have one in my own car and I saw this thread and there seem to be a lot of questions here but not a lot of answers so I figured I would try to help out a bit.

Last edited by jeffb335; 01-31-2012 at 10:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2012, 12:34 PM   #139
krnet2dboi
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i Base

Here I my official review of the product.

1) Main Interface: Big icons make it easier to select the right button, but wish I can modify it to my preference. For instance, I have no use for the TV function, so I wish I can just get rid of it.

2) Touch Screen: this is not a multitouch like most phone screens, plus the screen is VERY sensitive to touch. It is extremely difficult to select the right icon unless you have pointy fingernails.

3) OBC: Although it seems accurate, you have no option to change it from metric reading for US users. That should have been included in the feature

4) IPOD: Although it does what it is asked for, it can't control from the screen(?) I might new to update my iPod...

5) Bluetooth: Everything works as advertised. The biggest issue is not being able to select the name from phone book if the name is all the way at the top. You gotta try to press it multiple times to get it right. This is definitely a touchscreen issue.

6) Radio: everything works great. I just don't know what some buttons do. For Example "TXT" button doesn't seem to be doing anything?

And finally the biggest issue (I'd rather get WinCE at this point)

7) Android...:
First of all, unlike the main unit, it does not have continuous power like the main unit or phones so you need to boot it up EVERY TIME!
This means, gotta wait to load the Android OS, wait to load the SD Card, Wait to load it's settings, and the worst of all load the GPS and the time EVERYTIME! This should've been a very simple fix if they allowed the Android system to have constant power.
GPS quality will really depend on your GPS software, but it does seem to have issues connecting for me at the moment. I have contacted caraudiocraze to get a new receiver, hopefully that will resolve the issue. I'm really frustrated not being able to use GPS.

On a side note, if anyone connected the rear view camera, a guide would be very much appreciated.

If anyone has any questions please let me know. Thank you

7)
      01-31-2012, 04:05 PM   #140
voucher76
Private
Rep
Drives: X3 (G01), E92 325i

screen glare?

Thanks krnet2dboi for the review.

One thing I was wondering, previously there was an issue with screen glare on the dynavin units, which would make it very difficult to watch the screen on a sunny day, is that also an issue with the d99? or not anything you have noticed?

thank you!
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2012, 04:15 PM   #141
krnet2dboi
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by voucher76
Thanks krnet2dboi for the review.

One thing I was wondering, previously there was an issue with screen glare on the dynavin units, which would make it very difficult to watch the screen on a sunny day, is that also an issue with the d99? or not anything you have noticed?

thank you!
There is definitely a glare issue with the unit. Hasn't seen any improvements compared to the previous units. Thinking of maybe getting a anti glare film. But I doubt that will provide desired results
      02-01-2012, 08:04 AM   #142
BigDog
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: YMB F80

it seems like d99 is a flop from these user reviews

shame was looking to get one, but now i think I'll have to wait for something else...
      02-01-2012, 09:04 AM   #143
krnet2dboi
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDog
it seems like d99 is a flop from these user reviews

shame was looking to get one, but now i think I'll have to wait for something else...
Yea, it is very unreliable in my opinion. Even though it might not have a OEM look, I think you are better off getting a pioneer
      02-01-2012, 10:37 AM   #144
jeffb335
Rep

amazing how excited you got and how quickly you gave up. I often think that people get the unit and immediately try to use every feature all at once and get overwhelmed and frustrated. In my experience 9 out of 10 issues end up being user error or a misunderstanding of some sort. Im not sure what you mean by unreliable, I realize I am (rightly so) going to be viewed as biased but I have dealt with literally thousands of these and I have one in my own car.....and once set up correctly most functions work nicely.

There is an entire community out there doing really cool stuff with the android interface, maybe you should try getting involved there OR if android really isnt for you I suppose you should have got a WinCE unit, question #1 in my dynavin FAQ explains this.

Last edited by jeffb335; 02-01-2012 at 11:13 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2012, 11:06 AM   #145
cudabnu
Loose nut behind the wheel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 328I E91

I agree, the more I play and adjust mine and get used to it, the more I like it. Sure there are a few things I'd personally like to see changed, but it can't be everything to everybody.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2012, 12:42 PM   #146
krnet2dboi
Captain
United_States
Rep

If anyone wants a direct swap from my D99 Android to their D99 WinCE shoot me a PM.

Android is a pain in the ass
      02-01-2012, 02:55 PM   #147
spmd11
Major
United_States
Rep

I was planning to write a full review after my install this past Monday, but I have had so many issues with this unit that I have not yet had the time to do so. I would like to start off by saying that I purchased the unit from Trent at CarAudioCraze and he has been good to work with and he fully supports the product. He has also promised me that I may return the unit for a different Nav system if I choose. They do have many other systems available for sale, and he is very responsive post sale, so my review has no bearing on his good service and support.
Overall, I would say that this product is a big bomb.. it is really lousy. I actually cannot believe that a company can bring to market something like this with virtually no product support, at least that I can see. They ship you this system in a box with no instructions on how to operate it and terrible instructions on installation. Ergonomically, I would say that this is pretty much a total failure. It makes the original BMW iDrive seem like a phenomenal product in comparison. This Android D99 is so horribly complex to use, if it got a review from any professional critical test, it would bomb out so badly as to be laughable.

I have so many issues and I have invested so much money and time, I am not sure what to do. I may return the unit to Trent. I had my professional electronics shop install the D99 into my 2011 335. With basically no installation instructions they did a pretty nice job. In fact, these guys are really, really good. They could make a rocket. I'm so glad that I didn't try to install this thing myself. There were many hurdles, and each one of them had to be sought out and discovered by me, the buyer. Unbelievable ordeal.

First, we decided to relocate the factory head unit into the trunk, because had we not done this, I would have lost BMW Assist (on a new car) and I would also have lost the ability for BMW service to do diagnostics on the car. In the process, I lost Satellite radio, which is a real bummer. This required my installer to locate more fiber optic cabling to get the factory head unit the distance required to mount it in the trunk.

Here are the issues that I have at the moment.

1. Screen glare is ridiculous. I mean, in the daytime, if it is not cloudy, forget it.. you can't even see the screen. Even if it's cloudy, you must squint to see anything on a Navigation display, and forget about wearing sunglasses as you drive! LOL! I spent the whole day taking my sunglasses off and on, trying to make out the screen. I also tried different map colors on Co-pilot to try to find something that is usable. This one issue all by itself kills this system usefulness. The brightness controls have very little effect... and it seems as though they don't even make a change. Then at night, the screen is so bright, it's blinding. And there is no real substantive way to turn down the brightness. It is so ridiculous that all you can do is really laugh about it. It is so inferior to iDrive and the BMW OEM nav screen. I have 3 other BMWs with the iDrive, so I have a direct comparison, painfully....

2. My FM radio works, but the reception is so poor it is unusable. Trent has let me know that we should try a powered antenna adapter. I am going to have my installer put this in tomorrow. fingers crossed. Do you think the supplier of the D99 could tell anyone this? So, I went from Satellite radio pre-install, which we really enjoy, to post-install, no sat radio and no radio at all.. Oh joy! My wife is really pleased.

3. My constant 12V wire is not in the correct fusebox slot, so every time I power up the car and the D99, I lose all my settings. This is enormously frustrating. But who would know? There are no instructions from the supplier. I am having this resolved tomorrow, hopefully.. but it took me 3 days of painful play testing and complaining to Trent to get to the bottom of this issue.

4. The touchscreen is horribly sensitive and makes for very difficult screen navigation. Makes one wish for an iDrive type device. One has to have a stylus or you cannot scroll and select on the touchscreen. If you must use your hand, you have to turn your finger upside down and use your fingernail. Is this stupid or what? I can only imagine the engineer who designed this...many times, because of the screen sensitivity, you get a selection that you do not want.. and better yet, many times, you select something on the screen and it doesn't work, so you end up double pressing everything! Perfect frustration! So you get things you don't want on the touch screen and you have to tap many things twice that you do want!

5. The D99 screen location is low on the dash.. this is problematic and very distracting. It works.. okay? But it is vastly inferior to the iDrive screen setup that is more in line with the outward view out the windshield..or the lesser option, an iPhone or similar portable nav on your dash.

6. This one is fun.. the Android (not sure about Windows) version has 2 sound boards.. one for media and one for the radio/iPod. Each time you switch between the two.. for instance from Navigation voice to the radio or iPod, there is a loud pop noise out of the speakers and there are 2 volume controls!!! LOL! So, the radio/iPod volume is the physical knob, but the media volume is a screen touch item! This is a perfect example of how unergonomic and complex this unit is.

Bottom line, this product is really a shame. I would be so embarrassed if I was responsible for bringing this thing to market. It has plenty of potential, for sure.. but terribly executed.

So, what to do? I cannot recommend this unit to anyone. In fact, I say if you are thinking about it for your e90/92/93, run away as fast as you can. Right now, I have lost 4 days of productivity, A LOT of cash and some major headaches. It really hurts to spend this kind of money and be so disappointed. If I had it to do over again, I definitely would have put this money to better use and gone the iPhone on the dash route. I guess I never learn... I'm a sucker for technology and the after market. Can the D99 be useful at all? Yes, but it is comes with very much compromise... and if I was ever able to talk to the guy(s) at Dynavin, man, would I give them an earful. I have no respect for what they have done.. It is bad enough that this product has so many short comings... it is absolutely unethical that they have no real literature for operation or installation, relying on the consumer to do ALL the work in understanding how it should operate and be installed in our cars. Someone is taking advantage and making lots of money at our expense. Shameful, really... what a shame.

Once again, this is no dig on Trent at CarAudioCraze. I know that he is just as frustrated as the rest of us with the Dynavin. In fact, I am thankful that I bought it from Trent because he has promised me to make everything right.. so relieved about that.... now the Dynavin people... I have nothing good to say about... I have no respect for what they have brought to market.

Last edited by spmd11; 02-01-2012 at 03:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2012, 03:05 PM   #148
krnet2dboi
Captain
United_States
Rep

I agree, Trent has AMAZING customer service.
But Dynavin is a definite flop.

It seems as though only reason why Jeff335 is talking positive about it is because he seems to be a vendor for Dynavin.

I wish vendors stop their biased item reviews.

This product, anyone that has common sense in ergonomics would agree. Is a useless brick.
Whole point of a system like this is to improve your car experience, not bring it down.

I repeat, DO NOT BUY DYNAVIN PRODUCTS EVER

Last edited by krnet2dboi; 02-01-2012 at 03:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2012, 03:08 PM   #149
spmd11
Major
United_States
Rep

I have no idea how the e46 guys can like their Dynavin product.. but I will say this.. having a forum like this is very useful for product warnings and I would say to everyone considering this product.. stay away, unless you are in to being frustrated and you like to solve problems. It can be used.. it's just really bad, overall. If you could see the screen in the daytime.. it would be much better... but I don't know how I can use this thing during the day.. I mean it's really, really difficult to see with the glare and the dim screen. And to add insult to injury, if you want to try to change screen brightness, it's buried inside about 5 screen scrolls and pushes and there are two different screen brightness menu areas.. neither one of which works.
      02-01-2012, 03:16 PM   #150
jeffb335
Rep

Krnet, I didn't give a review, i showed you some pics and I tried to answer questions to help you guys out and try to give some guidance based on my experience.

There are thousands of users and hundreds of pages of forum threads out there covering every minute detail of these, if you choose to not look into this I don't know what to tell you.

Last edited by jeffb335; 02-01-2012 at 03:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2012, 03:28 PM   #151
spmd11
Major
United_States
Rep

Jeff, it is awesome that you have responded in assistance for the D99 installation and operation. Kudos for you for trying to be helpful. I respect that a lot. But, unless you have installed and operated the D99 in an e90/92/93, you would have no idea how bad this thing is. The e46 guys have something else all together...in a different car... it is not this particular unit.. for sure.
      02-01-2012, 03:34 PM   #152
krnet2dboi
Captain
United_States
Rep

I'd rather get a Pioneer AVIC-Z140BH
      02-01-2012, 04:09 PM   #153
jeffb335
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spmd11 View Post
Jeff, it is awesome that you have responded in assistance for the D99 installation and operation. Kudos for you for trying to be helpful. I respect that a lot. But, unless you have installed and operated the D99 in an e90/92/93, you would have no idea how bad this thing is. The e46 guys have something else all together...in a different car... it is not this particular unit.. for sure.
I do have one in my E92 but it is installed correctly (you noted a few install issues) and I know how to use it....I don't mean that in a derogatory way....
Im also not sure why you say it doesn't come with a user guide? It does, it may not be very good but it certainly does! There are also setup videos and install guides(but not one for the E9x yet) on my website

I often see people get these and try out every feature all at once and they quickly find themselves confused and frustrated, especially on the android models, and especially if they have installation issues making things harder.

Some of your issues are simple settings or features you are not aware of, for instance, hold down mute to dim/turn off the screen.

Although I have had multiple android units, at the current time I use a winCE unit. When I'm driving I need simplicity, and a full featured OS like android is just not that simple when you are going 70mph. Other people love the android units because you can make them do whatever you want (if you know what you are doing), hopefully while parked safely in their garage.

It sounds like in both of your cases android was the wrong choice, if you have read any of my writings on the subject or read my FAQ you will see that I have made no secret of the android units pros and cons.

If you would like help fixing specific issues or understanding certain elements of operation I would be happy to help, but if I get bashed for my efforts I've got plenty to do elsewhere.

Last edited by jeffb335; 02-01-2012 at 04:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2012, 04:24 PM   #154
spmd11
Major
United_States
Rep

Jeff, thanks for the reply and YES, I for one, would love any help possible.

I have so much money invested in this thing already, I am still hopeful that I can make it useable. I greatly appreciate any advice on our issues. For one, how do you make the screen brighter? Do you experience a screen that is not bright enough during the day?

2nd, am I on the right track as far as installing an antenna adapter to help my FM radio reception?

Which fuse in the fuse box do we locate for the constant 12v wire.. because my D99 loses all of its settings each time I shut my car off.