E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Ways to solve SES/CEL caused by catless DP discuss.

04-02-2012, 12:22 PM   #1
Fred_Boosted
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [8.00]
Lightbulb Ways to solve SES/CEL caused by catless DP discuss.

Hi, everyone.

I'm searching the whole site for a way that can solve the SES/CEL caused by catless DP. Also it may fool the e-check.

First, I think the easiest and cheapest way to solve it is O2 sensor spacer. It is easy to install and cheap. However, we seems don't have enough space on DP area, and our ECU is very sensitive to O2 sensor. So many people say it can't fix the problem

Here is a thread that I found:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=457712

This is a great idea that bend spacer to 90 degree and fit it in there. But it seems not working according to last post.

This is another interest found:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=498922

#4 post by @enrita.
I think this one is with a high flow cat with a spacer on it. I think this should work very well since it has high flow cat. But I'm talking about catless DP. Which hardly working in this way.

Second, BMS DP fix is a way to solve the problem.

But for people who don't want mess with ECU area, like me. Or people who usually visit dealer for a small fix under warranty they don't want unplug it every time, this is not the best idea.

Finally, this thread is what I interested in:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=451224

@tscdennab delete his cats on DPs and plug the O2 sensor on secondary cat. Seems he fooled ECU successfully and no codes!

My thought now is: We can get a set of Catless DP, AR/AMS/CP-E/VRSF whatever brand.

We cap the second O2 sensor holes on DPs. Get a custom cat-back exhaust system with 200 or 300 cells racing cats. Plug the O2 sensor behind secondary cat(Which we use 200/300 cells racing cats) maybe also with an O2 sensor spacer.

The SES/CEL will gone, and since e-check is usually OBDII check, so it can pass the e-check too, you don't need put stock DPs back every time you do an e-check. If they put a mirror under your car, they only can see a plastic cover that blocked DPs and secondary cat in original place.

I'm a lazy person, I love to solve the problem once for all. Hate to take off this or that all the time.

My thought maybe too positive, but any input and discussion are welcome.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 12:28 PM   #2
themyst
Major General
South Korea
Rep
Drives: '16 MK7 GTI

BMS DP fix is the only way to pass OBD2. Stop being lazy and do it.
      04-02-2012, 12:32 PM   #3
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Check engine light/codes and readiness are two separate issues.

Neil
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 12:32 PM   #4
Fred_Boosted
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by themyst View Post
Really?!

Now I have cobb and heading to stage 2+

If BMS DP fix is the only way to solve it. Then it forcing me go JB4 with meth since JB4 come with DP fix.

I do able to use Cobb to tune ECU and use JB4 to control meth only right?
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 12:33 PM   #5
Fred_Boosted
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDORPHN View Post
Check engine light/codes and readiness are two separate issues.

Neil
Doh, I knew I was too positive.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 12:39 PM   #6
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred_Boosted View Post
Doh, I knew I was too positive.
Readiness -- an issue only if your state inspection involves an OBDII scan and, perhaps, if you are still under warranty -- is really simple and inexpensive to address. BMS dp fix is $80.

Neil
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 12:42 PM   #7
themyst
Major General
South Korea
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred_Boosted
Quote:
Really?!

If BMS DP fix is the only way to solve it. Then it forcing me go JB4 with meth since JB4 come with DP fix.

Wrong on all accounts.

The JB4 only suppresses the SES light and will not achieve readiness required to pass an OBD2 check.

You will need to install the BMS dp fix and uninstall your Cobb flash. Then you will need to properly dial in your DP fix before you go for inspection.

Then you will need to remove the DP fix because it really messes with your AFRs if left installed.
      04-02-2012, 12:43 PM   #8
marv85
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 335i MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred_Boosted View Post
Really?!

no the JB4 does not come with a DP fix but rather an Auto clear function. S2+ already does that.. and both won't help you clear emissions.

You need the DP fix
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 12:44 PM   #9
marv85
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 335i MT

Quote:
Wrong on all accounts.

The JB4 only suppresses the SES light and will not achieve readiness required to pass an OBD2 check.

You will need to install the BMS dp fix and uninstall your Cobb flash. Then you will need to properly dial in your DP fix before you go for inspection.

Then you will need to remove the DP fix because it really messes with your AFRs if left installed.
Beat me to it

but you also answered a question I had for a long time. the DP fix does mess with your AFRs... I'm nearing my inspection, this is very helpful!
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 12:46 PM   #10
Fred_Boosted
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [8.00]
Ahh.

Thanks guys!

Now I have to give up my day dreaming.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 12:46 PM   #11
themyst
Major General
South Korea
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by marv85 View Post
Beat me to it

but you also answered a question I had for a long time. the DP fix does mess with your AFRs... I'm nearing my inspection, this is very helpful!
You'll end up running a touch rich actually. At least for me. I'd see AFR around 11.3-11.6 until DP fix is removed.
      04-02-2012, 02:43 PM   #12
2Times
I'd hit it
United_States
Rep
Drives: G82

Garage List
2023 BMW M4 xd  [10.00]
Good info, I was curious about the DP fix also. I assumed you could just leave it in. Learn something new every day Also thought I could leave the accessport installed during inspection.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 12:52 AM   #13
rwalker
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: the wheels off

Quote:
Readiness -- an issue only if your state inspection involves an OBDII scan and, perhaps, if you are still under warranty -- is really simple and inexpensive to address. BMS dp fix is $80.

Neil
How is OBD2 readiness addressable cheaply? The BMS DP fix doesn't cover readiness, or is unreliable WRT readiness, AFAIK. Am I mistaken?

-Rob
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 05:41 AM   #14
woptang22
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 BMW M3

Hey Marwan hows it going? Im still throwing around the idea of getting DPs. We have talked about this before, but the COBB stage 2 keeps the service engine light from coming on with catless DPs correct? But it doesnt help with the readiness for emissions right? So Im assumming thats why people are suggesting the BMS DP fix. But what does they mean by saying the COBB needs to be removed then the DP Fix needs to be dialed in for readiness or emissions? How do you dial it in? The BMS DP fix isnt just installed once then left there for future emissions testing? How does this work? And what is meant by the DP Fix messes with your AFRs? Whats AFRs? sorry for lack of knowledge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marv85 View Post
Beat me to it

04-03-2012, 08:04 AM   #15
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwalker View Post
How is OBD2 readiness addressable cheaply? The BMS DP fix doesn't cover readiness, or is unreliable WRT readiness, AFAIK. Am I mistaken?

-Rob
As I understand it, the DP fix -- which, of course, is intended only for vehicles that are not run on public streets -- "tricks" the ecu into thinking a cat is in place, thereby allowing it to show readiness.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but if you're running a car with catless downpipes and you need to pass an inspection that includes an OBDII scan, my understanding is that you need both a tune that clears the check engine light AND , with the exception of the BMS JB4 tune, a dp fix for purposes of readiness.

EDIT: See post below -- the above sentence is NOT accurate (sorry!).

If the inspection involves a sniffer test, however, you're doomed.

Neil

Last edited by MDORPHN; 04-03-2012 at 08:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 08:09 AM   #16
bryce
Banned
Rep
Drives: zhp 3-pedal

Garage List
Quote:
As I understand it, the DP fix -- which, of course, is intended only for vehicles that are not run on public streets -- "tricks" the ecu into thinking a cat is in place, thereby allowing it to show readiness.

So, if you're running a car with catless downpipes and you need to pass an inspection that includes an OBDII scan, you need both a tune that clears the check engine light AND a dp fix for purposes of readiness.

If the inspection involves a sniffer test, however, you're doomed.

Neil
incorrect. the dpfix allows readiness to be set and takes care of the check engine light. if you leave a tune installed (jb4 with autoclear, procede with canclear, cobb with CEL delete) you won't pass emissions. themyst explained it perfectly- uninstall your tune, install dpfix, put 50+ miles on the car, make sure no check engine lights. if there are, you need to adjust the dpfix. 50 miles is needed to set readiness on all sensors.

you can also leave the piggybacks installed if you turn off the canclear or autoclear functions. cobb doesn't have that ability, yet, but they will eventually.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 08:09 AM   #17
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryce View Post
incorrect. the dpfix allows readiness to be set and takes care of the check engine light. if you leave a tune installed (jb4 with autoclear, procede with canclear, cobb with CEL delete) you won't pass emissions. themyst explained it perfectly- uninstall your tune, install dpfix, put 50+ miles on the car, make sure no check engine lights. if there are, you need to adjust the dpfix. 50 miles is needed to set readiness on all sensors.

you can also leave the piggybacks installed if you turn off the canclear or autoclear functions. cobb doesn't have that ability, yet, but they will eventually.
I stand corrected. Thank you!

Neil
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 08:12 AM   #18
bryce
Banned
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I stand corrected. Thank you!

Neil
sure
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 08:12 AM   #19
BMWsky
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by woptang22 View Post
Hey Marwan hows it going? Im still throwing around the idea of getting DPs. We have talked about this before, but the COBB stage 2 keeps the service engine light from coming on with catless DPs correct? But it doesnt help with the readiness for emissions right? So Im assumming thats why people are suggesting the BMS DP fix. But what does they mean by saying the COBB needs to be removed then the DP Fix needs to be dialed in for readiness or emissions? How do you dial it in? The BMS DP fix isnt just installed once then left there for future emissions testing? How does this work? And what is meant by the DP Fix messes with your AFRs? Whats AFRs? sorry for lack of knowledge.

The BMS DP fix is adjustable which enables you to more accurately dial it in. You don't want a tune to override the SEL so that you can do that. Once it is dialed in, you can put the tune back in and you're good to go if you want to get the car inspected with the tune. Just remember that you'll need to drive the car for around awhile after installing or uninstalling the tune before getting inspected or you will fail the readiness test.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 08:14 AM   #20
bryce
Banned
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWsky View Post
The BMS DP fix is adjustable which enables you to more accurately dial it in. You don't want a tune to override the SEL so that you can do that. Once it is dialed in, you can put the tune back in and you're good to go if you want to get the car inspected with the tune. Just remember that you'll need to drive the car for around awhile after installing or uninstalling the tune before getting inspected or you will fail the readiness test.
lol that's not correct either. cobb stage 2 and 2+ eliminate the check engine light from popping up, even without a dpfix. this in itself will cause you to fail emissions, since the readiness won't be set. you can put the cobb down to stage 1, since that doesn't mess with the o2 sensor readiness. but you still need a dpfix and to at minimum go to stage 1. a full uninstall is proabably the best method, just in case.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 08:18 AM   #21
BMWsky
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
lol that's not correct either. cobb stage 2 and 2+ eliminate the check engine light from popping up, even without a dpfix. this in itself will cause you to fail emissions, since the readiness won't be set. you can put the cobb down to stage 1, since that doesn't mess with the o2 sensor readiness. but you still need a dpfix and to at minimum go to stage 1. a full uninstall is proabably the best method, just in case.

You're right, I actually did keep it on stage 1 and got inspected...no problems.

Edit: I dialed in BMS fix on stage one, but had the inspection done with it uninstalled.

Last edited by BMWsky; 04-03-2012 at 08:33 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 08:24 AM   #22
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
exactly...

Mike
Appreciate 0