E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Back pain

06-07-2012, 01:18 PM   #1
bh021
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330d Msport

Back pain

MighT be a coincidence but has anyone had any back pain from their msport coupe? Had my 330d since December and my lower back has been hurting since. Like I said I'm not saying its the car specifically but it does seem a bit of a coincidence. It's a 2007 plate and can't seem to locate the lumbar support. I had a newer 325 msport coupe which had lumbar support and didn't seem to get any probs with that
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2012, 01:29 PM   #2
Danny.B.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 330d M Sport

Not the first person to mention it! i recommend a CG Lock. I lent my mates dad mine as he was suffering in his x5

Did him a world of good!
      06-07-2012, 01:39 PM   #3
bh021
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanksnfornthe reply. Stupid question but what's a cg lock ? And where do u get them ?
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2012, 02:23 PM   #4
parapaul
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 330d M Sport

Garage List
Linky

I hadn't seen them sold as posture enhancing before - that's interesting.
      06-07-2012, 03:55 PM   #5
Whack01
Private
Rep
Drives: G20 330i

Oddly enough around the time I bought my e90 lci m/sport I also started back playing a bit of golf & bought new running shoes and suddenly my back began acting up.

I wondered if it was due to increased time at the range or the new running threads. Never thought it may be due to the car until recently.
Have ran for years, never had any back issues-didn't do any major moves on the range or course to hurt back so it entirely possible it is the car.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2012, 04:20 PM   #6
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

Firstly, lumber support is an option so if you cant find it your car probably wasnt spec'd with it from new.

I had lower back pain with my pre-LCI 330d M Sport. So when I bought my current car I ordered it with lumber support. It made no difference to me and my back still ached.

The only "cure" for me is to use a cushion. This completely erradicates the lower back pain. Very annoying and I cant sit completely into the seat - but at least I dont have pain. Before I would get pain after 10 mins of driving but with the simple cushion I can drive hours and not have a single problem.

I think the problem with M Sport seats is that they lack cushioning - and the lumber support does nothing to address this. It just feels like something is poking in your back. A waste of time. Worst seats I've ever been in for back support.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2012, 04:37 PM   #7
parapaul
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 330d M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dopper99 View Post
Worst seats I've ever been in for back support.
You should have tried my 2005 Mundaneo...
      06-07-2012, 04:47 PM   #8
BigBanana
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Beemer F30 335D

Hmmm.

I've only had SE spec cars because the Msport seat, side bolsters stick in my ribs...
I've never had the lumber support as an option because the seats seemed to provide adequate support.
But with my latest 325d, I specc'ed leather seats.

I never gave a thought that they might be different.

They don't seem to provide the same support as non leather version and I had a painful back for a while initially.

But since my recent bout of sciatica - caused by nothing to do with the car - it's paled into insignificance.

At least it's getting better now
      06-07-2012, 05:47 PM   #9
225_AB
Major
Rep
Drives: M235i

Garage List
2014 M235i  [0.00]
2009 BMW 330D  [0.00]
I find the msport seats in my m sport to be very supportive. I dont have lumbar support (I don't think) but the side bolsters are adjustable. The seats are much better in the 330 than in my new 640.

You should also check the seat and stearing wheel settings, there are a number of guides for this on the Internet.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2012, 05:56 PM   #10
PR3CI5N
need4speed
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 M 335i

Have you adjusted the lumbar setting on your seats? Should change how the seat contacts your back. Changing the kyphosis of your spine will reduce pain. Also try to sit up with your shoulders pulled back.
      06-08-2012, 01:54 AM   #11
V12MSM
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E92 330d M-Sport

I drove my E92 M-Sport from London to Aberdeen in a day and still felt like a new man when I got out of it.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2012, 03:38 AM   #12
nicktyler
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i (sadly gone)

Garage List
I have had back pain after I bought the car but I think it is the cheap memory foam matteress on my bed. It is rellly comfy untill you wake up in the morning.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2012, 03:55 AM   #13
Statler
Major Pain in the Arse
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 320D M Sport

I went from 6 BMWs to a Saab 9-3 and back to BMW again and each time I moved car my back took 6-8 months to re-align itself to the seats.

I think most people will agree that Saab seats are probably the best in the business (awaits the flamethrower ;-) ) and it's seating position was almost perfect for me. The BMW position in the 3 serries has always been a bit offset so the back has to be in a different position to cope.

I had big problems with my lower back and right thigh when I moved back to the E92 but I took up Ice Hockey and now my shoulders and legs hurt so much I don't even notice my back.... I suppose at 47 I should know better, lol

Seriously tho, it did take long time for my body to adjust and now it's grand..

HTH
S
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2012, 11:36 AM   #14
bh021
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

I hear what your saying about the saab. I had a 93 and the seats were great. As was the car. I think I'll go for the cushion option. I tried a towel rolled up this morning but it was totally undrivable I was practically siting on the edge of the seat. Maybe in time my back may get used to it. It's been 6 months already so fingers crossed.
Cheers for the replies guys
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2012, 11:47 AM   #15
Carjack
Stormtrooper
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330i G20 M-Sport Portimao Blue

I had bad lower back pain in my 55 reg 320i SE with standard seats with no heating.
Now have sports seats, heated, with lumbar support, but I always make sure seat is tilted back as far as poss.
Now have NO back pain which I can attribute to the seat.
I beieve the most important thing is, never have back of seat upright.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2012, 02:44 PM   #16
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

I mate of mine has had a few 5 series M Sport's in his time and the first couple he got back ache. Then he found out that "comfort seats" can be ordered in the 5 series so he went for them when he bought his next 5 series. That that cured his back problem.
Sadly comfort seats are not an option on the 3 series.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2012, 03:03 PM   #17
leetennis
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 3 M Sport

I doubt the car vs another car is the cause or blame, however a harsh ride will make it more painful.

21st century living is making us spend more time seated lengthening hamstrings and shortening the quads, this can pull the top of our hips further forwards and push our arses out.
This makes us walk around like we shit ourselves.
Some abdominal conditioning can help, tensing your abs pulls the hips downwards straightening the spine again.

I have the same prob at the moment because I play hours and hours of tennis where you spend a lot of time in a hovering seated position. Hanging from a bar is the only thing that eases it at the mo!
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2012, 03:09 PM   #18
AlwynMike
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36 440i GC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V12MSM View Post
I drove my E92 M-Sport from London to Aberdeen in a day and still felt like a new man when I got out of it.
Did you find one???
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2012, 06:03 PM   #19
Alex.Devol
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 M-Sport LCI

I recently sold an Audi s5, one of the main reasons being that i felt like i was getting sciatica at the age of 28. Even WITH lumbar support the seats started giving me back & hip pain after about 3-4 months, even ended up at a chiropractor & physiotherapist.

Physio told me getting a seat wedge (try ebay) would help and it did a lot, selling it and buying an e92 helped more though.

car seats, especially bucket seats, push your lower spine outwards into a curved 'C' shape which is essentially the opposite of how it should be naturally.. your spine should be slightly 'S' shaped with your hips pushed forward. The posture of a car seat can do all sorts, for me it was causing compression and inflammation which was then putting pressure on nerves... gets very boring but in short your back pain is probably very easily fixed and unlikely to be anything serious, the seat wedges are cheap and will help a lot but don't give a particularly relaxed seating position.. you can also get Gel seat cushions from most osteopaths or chiropractors that will really help get rid of the pain and are very comfortable, otherwise if you don't want to just try to sit upright when you can and don't slouch i guess.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2012, 03:04 AM   #20
briers
Ben
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla p85d

I had back pain too m, solved it by adjusting the seat, as simple as that.

I positioned the seat a little closer to the pedals than I normally choose, a little higher and virtually no rearward tilt. Also don't put the side bolsters too tight. I found I tensed other parts of my back if I felt squeezed in. I also had the seat more upright, so the distance between the back of my head was about a fists worth. Also adjusted the wheel so at full stretch the top aligned with my wrists.

If you have memory seats put the new setting in 1 and old setting in 2 and swap over and I'm sure you will notice a difference. Seat heating helps you relax too.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2012, 03:52 AM   #21
bh021
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

A few good tips. Thanks guys. I've got a physio appt soon so I'll ask about something to support the lower back. I'll also try the seat higher up and store it.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2012, 05:29 AM   #22
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36

Volvo manufacturers were the first one to hire physiotherapist to design their car seats.
And Saab followed it.
Lately most of the car manufacturers get opinions of physiotherapists to help them with the designing of seating position.

Here are few TIPS how to adjust your driving seat and if you adjust your seaing position, it should not strain any muscles of your body inclduing back, hams, quads or shoulders.