E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Damper lifespan?

05-03-2012, 11:14 AM   #1
JonEdwards
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 320D Touring Msport

Damper lifespan?

Hi all,

I have a '55 plate E91 320D M-sport with 115k on the clock.

Pretty much everytime I drive it without any weight in I end up thinking how floaty it's feeling - especially since I put the summer tyres back on. Just doesn't feel planted, and somehow wobbly.

Tyres are at correct pressure (non-RFT), and none of the dampers are actually leaking, and to be honest if I just drive it, it seems to actually grip fine, but it just doesn't inspire confidence. I had a 4-wheel alignment done 18 months ago, and it hasn't been bounced off anything hard since then.

So is it likely the dampers are past their best? If so what would be recommended as a replacement? I want a decent blend of real world comfort and performance on shitty UK A and B-roads - no smooth race track setups please! I've heard Koni FSDs mentioned as being good for comfort...? On the other hand I don't want something that classes as a "modification" for insurance purposes. (likewise have no desire to change springs and ride height).

Or is likely to be something else - are there any other suspension components that wear regularly? - bushings, balljoints, droplinks etc? Not noticed anything on trips under the car, but then if I'm not usually under it with weight on the wheels which always makes spotting loose stuff harder.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2012, 01:07 PM   #2
B005T3D-G
Class Leading Reprobate
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Impreza STi - E92 335i (56)

Garage List
If it is dampers thats your problem then you will have to replace with OEM for it not to be classed as a modification and seeing as you don't want to change the ride height/comfort then this is your best option.

Also check your springs as they're probably due a replacement after that sort of mileage if it's originals that are on.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2012, 02:08 PM   #3
mistryn
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 335D

I will also keep an eye on this thread as my car has done 103k miles I presume things like this will need replacing.

Does anyone know if the bushes need replacing fter certain miles? How many of them are there to replace etc?
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2012, 04:36 PM   #4
m1bjr
LSD - No, you're not seeing things
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Baby F36 Gran Coupe

Springs dont wear out.
Dampers do.

I fitted Bilstein B4 all around and its very like the oem car.

Steve
      05-03-2012, 08:31 PM   #5
jkas1984
Private
Rep
Drives: e90 320d m sport

All of my shocks needed replaced at 115000 on my 320d
They were all leaking and the handling got dangerous.
I have eibach pro springs on aswell.
Ride is harsh i can't notice a difference from oem setup to be honest.
After replacing shocks the handling is night and day it made such a difference!
Get shocks from "wanapart" they are really cheap compared to dealer and euro carparts. They are all oem Sachs m sport dampers I checked on Sachs website.
I would also get new bump stop and boots mine were degrading.
I just put mine through an mot in march and he said it was "fresh as a daisy" not a bit of play in anything!

The build quality is much better than my e46 I was replacing control arms and bushes at 70,000.

Nearly 120000 on the e90 and still pulling like a train.

Appreciate 0
      05-04-2012, 12:50 AM   #6
A_P
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1bjr View Post
Springs dont wear out.
Dampers do.

I fitted Bilstein B4 all around and its very like the oem car.

Steve
Hey steve what was the cost of these? i.s product + labour charges etc.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2012, 02:04 AM   #7
Phil325i
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 325i MSport Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1bjr View Post
Springs dont wear out.
Dampers do. Steve
Springs just snap (unless you look after them).
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2012, 03:31 AM   #8
JonEdwards
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 320D Touring Msport

Quote:
replace with OEM for it not to be classed as a modification and seeing as you don't want to change the ride height/comfort
To take that comment a stage further
a) how much does "non-standard" dampers add to insurance (roughly) given there's no change in performance as such. Is it likely to be a minimal "paperwork" cost?

b) To be honest I'd like to improve comfort, without detracting (or even improving) from the handling. My feeling is that it's oversprung and underdamped - skitters over surface chatter , but more wallowy than I'd like on larger/lower frequency impacts) Initially softer but more progressive spring rate and better controlled low (shaft) speed compression and rebound damping might feel rather better.

(I dick about with MTB suspension quite a lot so understand the basics of damper setup, even if I'm not really sure of how they apply to 4 wheels rather than 2)

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2012, 04:28 PM   #9
m1bjr
LSD - No, you're not seeing things
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Baby F36 Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awfully_Polite View Post
Hey steve what was the cost of these? i.s product + labour charges etc.
I forget now, have a look for the part nos on the Bilstein DK site and punch them into Eurocarparts or Balance Motorsport or similar.
They were pretty cheap.

I did my own fitting, but would think its about 5hrs for a garage and get it 4wheel aligned after just for accuracy.
      05-04-2012, 05:13 PM   #10
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEdwards View Post
So is it likely the dampers are past their best? If so what would be recommended as a replacement? I want a decent blend of real world comfort and performance on shitty UK A and B-roads - no smooth race track setups please! I've heard Koni FSDs mentioned as being good for comfort...? On the other hand I don't want something that classes as a "modification" for insurance purposes. (likewise have no desire to change springs and ride height).

Thanks!
I run Koni FSDs, like the feel of improved secondary ride comfort and better primary control. I'm on SE suspension and they work really well, now done over 40k miles on them and still pleased.

Insurance... was hard to explain these dampers weren't really a sport upgrade, but a better controlled and more comfortable damper than OEM. The change wouldn't alter the look of the car, etc. They just noted the change on the policy and added £100 to the excess, due to them being non OEM and over a certain value. £250 was the value threshold, if I remember it correctly.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0