E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > Eccentric Shaft Sensor Replacement

04-14-2017, 05:49 PM   #133
TheGermanTuneup
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 325xi, 2009 E91 328xi

Hey all, first post here. Owner of 2006 325xi Sedan, and a recently purchased 2009 328xi Wagon. First things first, the wagon has been owned less than a week, and hasnt started two of those days. Keep getting p1017 as a code. I took off my covers, unplugged the ESS, but saw no oil. Is it possible for this sensor to fail WITHOUT having oil in it? At the same time i took out of Vanos solenoids,and cleaned them. Car ran good for the rest of the day, but once it sat overnight it wouldnt start again until after another hour of sitting, then it kind of struggled to life and ran real rough until it warmed up. Hopefully these are signs of the ESS failing? Any help is appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2017, 09:22 PM   #134
stoweboarder720
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 335is

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGermanTuneup View Post
Hey all, first post here. Owner of 2006 325xi Sedan, and a recently purchased 2009 328xi Wagon. First things first, the wagon has been owned less than a week, and hasnt started two of those days. Keep getting p1017 as a code. I took off my covers, unplugged the ESS, but saw no oil. Is it possible for this sensor to fail WITHOUT having oil in it? At the same time i took out of Vanos solenoids,and cleaned them. Car ran good for the rest of the day, but once it sat overnight it wouldnt start again until after another hour of sitting, then it kind of struggled to life and ran real rough until it warmed up. Hopefully these are signs of the ESS failing? Any help is appreciated.
Did you ever resolve your issue? I just did the same thing and had a small amount of oil in the sensor but nothing like what I'm seeing in the majority of posts. I already purchased a new sensor and am ready to put it in but I have no idea what else may be causing the rough starts and bad mpg besides the eccentric shaft sensor.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2017, 05:42 PM   #135
TheGermanTuneup
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 325xi, 2009 E91 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoweboarder720 View Post
Did you ever resolve your issue? I just did the same thing and had a small amount of oil in the sensor but nothing like what I'm seeing in the majority of posts. I already purchased a new sensor and am ready to put it in but I have no idea what else may be causing the rough starts and bad mpg besides the eccentric shaft sensor.

Yes, I was worried that the ESS was not the culprit since i had NO oil in the sensor plug, but still ended up replacing it as well as the valve cover gasket, and car runs nicely now. Havent had any other problems since then. Good luck!
Appreciate 1
      09-04-2017, 10:57 AM   #136
Ivision
Rep
Drives: E90AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinky64 View Post
2007 328xi E90 with 105k miles. Ran and performed excellently. Noticed a oil leak and discovered it was coming from the Valvetronic gasket.

Replaced Valvetronic gasket ONLY and spark plugs. Also wiped off Valve Cover with shop towel. I never touched or unplugged the Eccentric Shaft Sensor. Fresh spark plugs and all ignition coils attached and plugged into.

Symptoms:
Rough idle after reaching operating temperatures. Blipping throttle works fine. Start up is fine. Im getting Service Engine Soon light. Prior to working on Valvetronic gasket change, vehicle performed perfectly. What would explain my symptom? Admittedly, I did not unplug my battery when changing the gasket. I checked the Eccentric Shaft Sensor....completely dry with no oil. I sprayed the front of the engine with brake cleaner against the Vanos Solenoid plugs for a cleaning. Note: I didn't replace the motor...only the gasket.

Trying to improve the idle performance, I rotated the hex insert behind the Valvetronic motor. Im getting a rough idle but better than before. Before, I was experiencing a rough idle where my engine would flirt with stall and the ecu keeps itself alive by blipping gas. Since Ive rotated the Valvetronic motor until a resistance is felt, the engine will come to rest at ~650rpms with "Service Engine Soon" followed by a P1415 reading on my code reader. I did not change the Valvetronic motor. Only changed the gasket.

I've read that cleaning the VANOS Solenoids located at the front of the engine with Brake Cleaner works. Again, my car ran completely fine. I didn't remove hoses as my scope of work was spark plugs and Valvetronic gasket (not the Valvetronic motor, not the Valve Cover Gasket). Anybody have any suggestions?

When you replaced the valvetronic gasket only, did you remove the valve cover? Or you just popped out the gasket?
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2018, 02:39 PM   #137
Greyfox
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91 - 330k+ (miles)

Tag
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2018, 10:43 AM   #138
madskillzE90
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 AWD

I did this job its a pretty quick fix ... but my issue is getting the new Eccentric shaft seal in. I can not get this thing to go in.. its frustrating.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2018, 12:53 PM   #139
Greyfox
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91 - 330k+ (miles)

And finished...

Not sure what was going on but after letting the valvetronic synch, damn car didn't want to start. Would turn over a few turns and stop. Put a battery charger on it and it finally turned over enough and started.
Appreciate 1
      02-27-2018, 12:09 PM   #140
Mike Lebet
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 328xi

strange find under valve cover

First post. Love these forums. Have gained a ton by reading - thanks to everyone on here.

Have a strange one - maybe someone can help. Found this piece broken off of my timing chain guide.

2008 328xi sedan. Doesn't feel like anyone has opened this up before, so I have no idea how long it's been loose in here. I have had the car for almost 3 years.

Anyone have any thoughts of how this could have happened and whether or not to be concerned going forward?

Really odd....
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-15-2018, 04:50 AM   #141
Hitler
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E90, 320i

I have the same problem

Thanks for this write up, I will be trying this out, I have the exact same problem. Hope this sorts it out.
cheers
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2018, 05:10 AM   #142
shaine88
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i SE 2006

Garage List
2005 320i se  [0.00]
2005 320i se  [0.00]
Can anyone tell me what what these fault codes mean and weather it is going to cost me an arm and a leg to fix!
2a67 VVT - Activation
2a6b Power Supply Limit VVT - Emergency
2a5b VVT - Ref. Sensor

So i had a warning light appear on my car )Only owned for 3 months). After a few diagnoses from other garages, i finally took my car to BMW, who told me to replace the eccentric shaft sensor and the Rocker cover gasket as they found some Oil around the sensor plug. I had them both changed through the dealer; however this did'nt help as the warning light is still there. I don't know if BMW Diagnosed it right but i need this problem fixed ASAP! I also would like to know if anyone has had similar issues and if so, how they resolved it. At this point i don't even know weather the car is worth keeping so i need some advice! Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2018, 09:30 AM   #143
freebo86
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Can someone tell me, is any RTV or sealant required at spots or recommended for better sealing of the Valve cover?
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2018, 09:44 AM   #144
El Cheapo Loco
douchebaggo
Rep
Drives: stick

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebo86 View Post
Can someone tell me, is any RTV or sealant required at spots or recommended for better sealing of the Valve cover?
For the plastic VC, RTV is used for holding the gasket in the groove during installation. It's not used required for sealing.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2018, 12:58 PM   #145
freebo86
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Cheapo Loco View Post
For the plastic VC, RTV is used for holding the gasket in the groove during installation. It's not used required for sealing.
Pretty sure mine is plastic. Its for a 08 X3.

What kind of RTV?
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2018, 11:27 AM   #146
El Cheapo Loco
douchebaggo
Rep
Drives: stick

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebo86 View Post
What kind of RTV?
black
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2020, 09:51 AM   #147
al08002
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by madskillzE90 View Post
I did this job its a pretty quick fix ... but my issue is getting the new Eccentric shaft seal in. I can not get this thing to go in.. its frustrating.
I'm having the same issue. I have a N52 engine with a metal valve cover. The new Eccentric shaft seal will not fit. Tried installing the gasket with a 30 mm socket with the valve cover on the engine and it will not fit. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2020, 01:34 PM   #148
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 bluewater 328i LCI sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by al08002 View Post
I'm having the same issue. I have a N52 engine with a metal valve cover. The new Eccentric shaft seal will not fit. Tried installing the gasket with a 30 mm socket with the valve cover on the engine and it will not fit. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!
Dont know what to tell you, as that's kinda how most people have dealt with it. I'm trying to remember if it was easier to do it with the whole VC off...I want to say yes as it just slipped right over afterwards.

Try looking at the N52 Valve Cover replacement thread. I think there were some other techniques in there, but most just popped it in.
Appreciate 0