E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Can someone please clarify which angel eyes are the best for halogens? LUX or HPB?

02-16-2015, 01:17 PM   #1
spektor75
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW 328 xdrive

Can someone please clarify which angel eyes are the best for halogens? LUX or HPB?

Hey guys I have a 2011 e90 with halogens and currently have the BMS angel eyes with 2 led's installed. Now that I have decided to buy the car out after my lease I want to upgrade the angel eyes. I have been searching the forum for hours but can't find a definitive answer. If anybody could shed some light and let me know which to buy, I would be very thankful.

The way I see it is I have three options:

Option 1: OSS for 600$ (seems kind of stupid to do this for halogens)

Option 2: LUX LCI halogen v2 $125 plus shipping

Option 3: HPB 40 Watt Cree LED Angel Eyes from Jeff at Topgearsolutions for 90$ plus shipping.
http://www.topgearsolutions.com/2009...ngel-eyes.html

Is there a big difference between options 2 and 3? I can't find any information comparing the two. Please help someone, and let me know whats the better buy.

Thanks for the help!

Last edited by spektor75; 02-16-2015 at 01:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2015, 02:12 PM   #2
wdeerfield
A family of bimmers
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 G01 X3M40i

the halogen headlights receive LED plug and play options much better than the xenon headlights. the HPB solution and the LUX will work well for you. just comes down to how much you want to spend. People have had great results with both.

If you go OSS, youd be best to order a xenon retrofit while you are at it since the headlights are coming apart anyways.
      02-16-2015, 02:52 PM   #3
spektor75
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdeerfield View Post
the halogen headlights receive LED plug and play options much better than the xenon headlights. the HPB solution and the LUX will work well for you. just comes down to how much you want to spend. People have had great results with both.

If you go OSS, youd be best to order a xenon retrofit while you are at it since the headlights are coming apart anyways.

Thanks for the input, I don't mind paying extra for the LUX, provided they are actually worth it. Do you know if the LUX is better than HPB? or are they pretty much the same?
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2015, 03:36 PM   #4
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Lux appears to be about ~4W brighter, on paper. At the end of the day as Wdeerfield said, if the extra cost is worth it to you that's up for you to decide. I'd like to think (based on my experience with competitors LED's over the years), you'd find a side by side nearly negligible in difference. However, keeping that in mind I'm open to anyone showing an unbiased photo comparison.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2015, 04:59 PM   #5
spektor75
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
Lux appears to be about ~4W brighter, on paper. At the end of the day as Wdeerfield said, if the extra cost is worth it to you that's up for you to decide. I'd like to think (based on my experience with competitors LED's over the years), you'd find a side by side nearly negligible in difference. However, keeping that in mind I'm open to anyone showing an unbiased photo comparison.
Thanks for that, my only concern is that they will be similar to the BMS one's I already have with only 2 led's. Meaning that they aren't exactly bright or robust. Everyone always hypes up LUX so I figured thats what I should get. But if the difference is negligible then I wouldn't be opposed to saving some money.

Does anybody have any comparison shots? or has anybody seen both side by side?

Jeff, do you mind PM'ing me your best price shipped to 60614 and what fog and low beam bulbs would match the HPB's best?
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2015, 08:31 PM   #6
uber
uber driver
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i E90

diy the oss yourself. only cost me 350ish

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2015, 10:49 PM   #7
LuxAngelEyes
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

I cant speak for any other product but i can guarantee that you will be happy with these. We have designed them to be a nice 5000-5500k color which is easy to match with halogen bulbs. As well we just recently released these and we were able to utilize one of Cree's newest LED's the XB-H. It offers unmatched performance especially for its size.

As for overall brightness each bulb produces around 900 lumen and is about a 44 watt equivalent per side. The stock bulb are 10 Watts and produce around 200 lumen per side so these will be a significant increase in both brightness and color. As well we can offer you a 100% money back guarantee within 60 days if you are for unhappy with them for any reason.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2015, 09:46 AM   #8
cdgatti
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 328i

After researching on this site, I just bought the LUX V2 for LCI halogen upgrade project I am doing on my 2008 pre-lci.

Wondering what type of bulb life should I expect using them as DRL (coded obviously). Also anyone know what brightness for the AE as DRL should be selected in the BMWhat app? Thanks.
OEM Black grill and Blackline tails - LCI halogens with Lux V2 coded as DRL - 3M Crystalline - BMS PBX - OEM Euro Airbox with K&N - Hardwired CTEK - Bilstein B6 w/OEM springs and SP perches - Conti DWS06 - HiFi-Helix DSP - JLAudio HD/XD-Morel - CD changer trim - AE optical out
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2015, 12:14 PM   #9
LuxAngelEyes
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdgatti View Post
After researching on this site, I just bought the LUX V2 for LCI halogen upgrade project I am doing on my 2008 pre-lci.

Wondering what type of bulb life should I expect using them as DRL (coded obviously). Also anyone know what brightness for the AE as DRL should be selected in the BMWhat app? Thanks.
The coding wont make any difference because with the LCI Halogen headlight the angel eyes are at full power anyways. We have had some of our lights out there for 6+ years now and they are still going strong
Appreciate 0