E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Not bad for a courtesy car!

05-28-2008, 04:26 PM   #1
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: Merc diesel

Garage List
Not bad for a courtesy car!

For those who are interested, I collected my surprise today - an '08 911 Carrera 4S cabriolet - nice surprise! Just 972 miles on the clock, now 1,200
Instructions from dealer: It's got a full tank of fuel and bring it back dirty and empty of fuel.

First the negatives: Wind noise on the motorway is noticeably more than the Cayman (the cabriolet thing?), the car doesn't 'like' a quick change of direction at speed as much as the Cayman - you notice the 'flexing' of the chassis. It would be interesting to drive a hard top Carrera to compare this point. The exhaust note is not quite as sonorous as the Cayman but still sweet music to the ears and senses. That's it really. Oh and a 30 minute call to my mobile which stopped me enjoying the car. (You know who you are matey).

Right the positives: Gearbox is slightly better than mine although mine is absolutely fine, the Carrera just slips smoothly into first gear. The brakes are absolutely SUPERB. That additional 60 bhp is noticeable when overtaking in general and in 6th gear on the motorway, all this on an engine which is still tight and no doubt is not running on super unleaded. The engine and power delivery are sooo smooth and the car is an absolute delight to drive at any revs and any speeds. Although a tad flat below about 2,500 revs compared to mine, the Carrera soon picks up and just keeps on going . On tight bends this car is really something else, it has such ability to just scoff at the quick change of direction and sits flat and grips exceptionally well. As I said though at higher speeds, this change of direction is not as welcome as in the Cayman whose tortional rigidity feels superior in my humble opinion. One could have some serious fun in this car and I have today TBH! If I could have that engine and those brakes on the Cayman, then it would be one hell of a car. C'mon Porsche!!

Photos below: The car is a demo BTW, so no doubt will be up for sale soon.

Attachment 157985

Attachment 157986

Attachment 157988

Attachment 157994

Attachment 157995

Last edited by beemerbird; 07-09-2008 at 04:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2008, 04:43 PM   #2
jjbirch
Banned
Rep
Drives: E60 530D M SPORT

Garage List
nice write up beemer i sooo love the inside shot and them little switches to play with,looks like u had fun
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2008, 04:44 PM   #3
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

That is one hell of a courtesy car. How long do you have it for?

I think you could be forgiven for not going back to get the Cayman.

Having said that, I reckon you are right about the balance of the mid engined Cayman vs the 911.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2008, 04:50 PM   #4
Gibbo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Golf Ed35

Helen, they are trying to get you to part with more money.

Can I just see what the 997 Coupe is like next....... it's a slippery slope.
      05-28-2008, 04:59 PM   #5
Porscha!
Should be on www.retrorides.com
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Porsche 944

Garage List
A good opportunity to discover Roof Down Motoring At All Times, beemerbird

Pity it's a "4S" though, they don't have the same characteristics as a 911 "should" have. Don't mind me, I'm just insanely jealous that because I don't have a resident Porsche at the moment!

You've got me thinking about 911s again for the next car too ... mmmm I want this one - http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C45813 fingers crossed this is still for sale some the winter when I can afford to buy one, hopefully

Front Engined Porsche
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2008, 05:00 PM   #6
booforty
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
Unbelievable!! And I get a 120d
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2008, 05:02 PM   #7
Gibbo
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by booforty View Post
Not bad for someone who does not own a car.
      05-28-2008, 05:06 PM   #8
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS View Post
That is one hell of a courtesy car. How long do you have it for?

I think you could be forgiven for not going back to get the Cayman.

Having said that, I reckon you are right about the balance of the mid engined Cayman vs the 911.
Should have it all day tomorrow but depending on how they get on with mine I may have it Friday as well - shame eh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
Helen, they are trying to get you to part with more money.

Can I just see what the 997 Coupe is like next....... it's a slippery slope.
Yeah, good point Peter although as I understand it, the Carrera is not generally 'let out' for this length of time. Not sure if the game of golf had some influence

It is a very nice car and at this moment in time, apart from the extra power and the brakes, I'm more than happy with the Cayman. Besides, I can't possibly afford one. I wouldn't be the only one waiting another year to 'save up'. Think I'd have to do some form of moon lighting as well. All above board of course.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2008, 05:08 PM   #9
booforty
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Not bad for someone who does not own a car.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2008, 05:08 PM   #10
Gibbo
Colonel
Rep

Cayman is a better drivers car and when they drop the 3.6l engine in next March that will be the one to go for.
      05-28-2008, 05:11 PM   #11
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerbird View Post
Should have it all day tomorrow but depending on how they get on with mine I may have it Friday as well - shame eh.
It's going to be tough, but I'm sure you will cope.

Let's hope that they don't have to leave it with you all weekend. It would be a damn shame if that happened and it was really sunny.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2008, 05:13 PM   #12
booforty
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
Life's a bitch eh Helen!
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2008, 05:15 PM   #13
Gibbo
Colonel
Rep

Helen, Are we going to see you at Supercar Sunday now? Just a tank or 2 of fuel and it gives you a good spin out on a Sunday morning.
      05-28-2008, 05:15 PM   #14
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porscha! View Post
A good opportunity to discover Roof Down Motoring At All Times, beemerbird

Pity it's a "4S" though, they don't have the same characteristics as a 911 "should" have. Don't mind me, I'm just insanely jealous that because I don't have a resident Porsche at the moment!

You've got me thinking about 911s again for the next car too ... mmmm I want this one - http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C45813 fingers crossed this is still for sale some the winter when I can afford to buy one, hopefully
Oh Porscha, you do make me chuckle girl I love the way you have all these cars in mind that you'd like to own. I think with your positive attitude, you probably will own them all, one by one. I nearly, but emphasise NEARLY put the roof down but bottled it. Started raining as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by booforty View Post
Paul - shave yer legs, wear a skirt and 'walk the walk' luv. Nah, maybe not eh.

Quote:
Cayman is a better drivers car and when they drop the 3.6l engine in next March that will be the one to go for.
Seriously Peter! Where did you read that then?
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2008, 05:19 PM   #15
Gibbo
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Oh Porscha, you do make me chuckle girl I love the way you have all these cars in mind that you'd like to own. I think with your positive attitude, you probably will own them all, one by one. I nearly, but emphasise NEARLY put the roof down but bottled it. Started raining as well.

Paul - shave yer legs, wear a skirt and 'walk the walk' luv. Nah, maybe not eh.

Seriously Peter! Where did you read that then?
I spoke to my OPC salesman about a month ago and he said after the 997 Facelift in July this year the Boxster / Cayman upgrades will be next March. With the 997 getting power upgrades across the range this will allow the Cayman a bit more poke. The std 997 (non S) is going from 325bhp to 345bhp so therefore I would guess the Cayman S will go from 295bhp to 325bhp.

Last edited by Gibbo; 05-28-2008 at 05:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2008, 05:22 PM   #16
Porscha!
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
OK onto the actual cars, and Porscha! shows her worth being on a Car Forum!

The Cayman is 100% the better balanced car and IF Porsche had put the same power into the Cayman and Boxster of course the mid-engined cars would trounce the 911.

Porsche will never do it as they would sell very few 911s and Porsche will 100% not scrap the 911, it's all abour branding and Porsches own marketing plan.

Send your Cayman to Mr. RUF and then your Cayman will be the Cayman, Porsche should have made.

Would be great to see a limited production Cayman RS from them though they will never do it due to the threat of the GT3 (RS) line. Demand would far outway supply to the enthusiast market.

Porsche is NOT 911, and never has been too many other great Porsche running alongside them, the 944 is nothing but celebrated between owners and enthusiasts, the 968 CS represents trackday special yet can be used everyday Porsche long before GT3 did (993 GT3 doesn't coulnt as it was so limited unlike the less restricted 996/7s), the Boxster saved Porsche from murky waters as did strangely enough the 944.

The Cayman is greatly celebrated between owners and enthusiasts and is in no way shape or form a "poor mans 911" as it is a totally different car, the Cayman in my eyes is the 944s modern successor.

The 356 should be a dream for ANY Porsche enthusiast to own, the original Porsche without it Porsche would not have been born.

Each and every Porsche is special, here endth the lecture.......don't even get me started on the other brands I am passionate about LOL!

Front Engined Porsche
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2008, 05:22 PM   #17
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I spoke to my OPC salesman about a month ago and he said after the 997 Facelift in July this year the Boxster / Cayman upgrades will be next March. With the 997 getting power upgrades across the range this will allow the Cayman a bit more poke. The std 997 (non S) is going from 325bhp to 355bhp so therefore I would guess the Cayman S will go from 295bhp to 325bhp.
Sounds interesting and a logical progression.

Think Goodwood's a bit far Peter - what time would I have to set off, or rather it wouldn't be worth going to sleep really. Shame, it sounds like fun as well.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2008, 05:26 PM   #18
willhollin
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: VW T5

Garage List
Lovely car, after mine had its accident I have the pleasure of driving this down to Cornwall and back on my holiday

Last edited by willhollin; 12-09-2008 at 04:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2008, 05:29 PM   #19
Gibbo
Colonel
Rep

Quote:

what time would I have to set off
In that, if you leave at 6.00 you should be with us by 8.00 latest.
      05-28-2008, 05:29 PM   #20
Porscha!
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
LOL! Aw, I do hope so!

Strangely enough next on my list is a pre-SC 911 OR a TVR, always wanted one 'cos they sound nice and look gorgeous yah I'm that shallow hehe!

Thing is I want sooooooo many cars and they vary so much from an E30 M3, to a 356, to a Cobra Rep (will never afford a real one), to an E type, to an old Ferrari, to a Caterham and back to yet another Porsche I will 100% never ever be rich it'll all go on motorcars

Front Engined Porsche
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2008, 05:31 PM   #21
Porscha!
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Think Goodwood's a bit far Peter - what time would I have to set off, or rather it wouldn't be worth going to sleep really. Shame, it sounds like fun as well.

I hate being a Northerner when the Goodwood events are on

Front Engined Porsche
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2008, 05:33 PM   #22
PhilR
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 330d M Sport Auto

Garage List
Helen,

Not surprised that the the Cayman S IYO is a better car than the 911 Carerra S4 (brakes aside) as many of the car pundits seem to like the Cayman better than the 911 in terms of value for money.

I think that the tuned 335D has realy spoilt you and you need to consider getting the Cyman S tuned up to put a bigger smile back on your face!!!!

Very interesting that you were given a 911 S4 as a "courtesy car". I would imagine that BMW would loan you a 1 Series (subject to a charge) instead of a 645i??? Maybe they see you as a potential 911 girl?

PhilR
Appreciate 0