E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Pretty close to returning the car to stock and trading it in.

04-28-2013, 02:14 PM   #23
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F34 xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by mact3333 View Post
I am going to have to agree with OP...4 inch speakers even if high quality cannot overcome its size limitations.

I have pretty spendy 4 inch Hybrid Morel's and they cannot compare to the 25 year old A/D/S 320 i's that were 5 1/4 inches.
Won, yours have the tweeter tap on +2dB. This car had them on 0dB. I liked this better, so I was hoping you would bring the car back in (as I suggested when we did your installation, if you weren't happy after the break-in period) and we can make that change and one other and see what you think.

Also, Won, neither your ears nor mine have the response they had 25 years ago, either
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2013, 02:23 PM   #24
mact3333
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' YMB/Blk F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by taibanl View Post
Cannot compare....at what?... that is what OP needs to think about...

Will a 4" have as much low end extension as a larger speaker...no...of course not. Will a 6.5 or 5.25 have as flat a frequency response off axis (which is what our door locations are to our ears) as a 4"...no.

The relevant question is what is better at what we are trying to accomplish.

In the e9x platform, we need the 4" to play midrange. We have 8" that covers the midbass so we don't need a larger (5.25/6.5") driver to have lower end extension. What we want is flat off axis response up to the tweeter x-over freq....which a 4" will handily give us. In fact...I can almost guarantee any crossover setting you pick between midbass and midrange will be above any natural mechanical rolloff of the 4"....so even if you did install a larger driver...it won't be playing any more notes (frequencies) than the 4" will.

Both of you are Ken's customers now...he should be more than happy to elaborate from the expert POV.

Edit: @mact3333. I am quite sure those morels could play lower but I imagine Ken has correctly relegated midbass frequencies to your underseats...

The 25 year old set up...ADS PQ10 40w X 4 driving my ADS 320i's up front and 300i plates for rear deck...Nakamichi P400 amp driving my Nak 10 inch subs and using a Alpine CD player headunit(remember the ones that you could pull out and take with you so it wouldnt get stolen haha)...we are talkin old school here but I have never heard anything that sounds better in a car...seriously...

Now if only Martin Logan could hook us up with electrostatics for the car!
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2013, 02:26 PM   #25
mact3333
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' YMB/Blk F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by VP Electricity View Post
Won, yours have the tweeter tap on +2dB. This car had them on 0dB. I liked this better, so I was hoping you would bring the car back in (as I suggested when we did your installation, if you weren't happy after the break-in period) and we can make that change and one other and see what you think.

Also, Won, neither your ears nor mine have the response they had 25 years ago, either

Ken,

Everything was bigger and better back then......kinda like your old house that you thought was at least 4000 SF and you go back now and its only 2000SF!...btw, you are absolutely correct cause I tested my hearing and I cannot hear anything above 14K...

Edit: I just figured out how to load songs onto USB stick and it sounds alot better now! Since I don't own CD's anymore, I have been listening to radio and Sirius

Music on USB sounds alot better
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2013, 05:29 PM   #26
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F34 xDrive

Well, we're still available to do some tweaking, but the USB stick is the best-sounding source in that car since there's no optically-caused error correction...
Appreciate 0