E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > drove cross-Canada finally!

07-05-2010, 10:41 AM   #1
Andy M
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 BMW 335i xdrive

drove cross-Canada finally!

So I finally drove across Canada (from Edmonton to Toronto). Did it in 2.5 days.

This is how I ended up dividing up the drive:
http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=d&sourc...03&ie=UTF8&z=5

Overnight in Regina and Thunder Bay. The others I took 15 minute stops (each stop has a Shell haha).

And despite all the precautions, I still lost the HPFP on the Sudbury to Toronto leg (then again I expected it since I got it fixed last and that was before the new part was available. At least I got an appointment to bring in the car this Thursday where I'm just going to tell them to replace the HPFP with the newer part and I'm thinking this has something to do with the fuel injector as well - basically car shakes a lot due to a cylinder misfire but doesn't go into limp mode. Second >3 hr trip I've taken with the car and the second time the problem has come up. But not a big issue since at least I know what they need to fix).

Anyway I've got photos of the car in different places of Canada. I'll post them up when I get a chance to download them off the camera.

And btw, to those who said I should drive, yeah that was totally worth it. Painfully boring in some stretches (anything through Saskatchewan) but to say that I did it is worth it. Next time I'm taking more than 2.5 days though because 17 hrs of driving a day isn't easy.
Attached Images

Last edited by Andy M; 07-08-2010 at 07:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2010, 11:01 AM   #2
SGxi
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 328xi

Garage List
2007 328xi  [0.00]
Sounds like a fun trip!!!!!

Welcome to the big smokes!
      07-05-2010, 11:47 AM   #3
Andy M
Canada
Rep

Thanks SGxi. Actually it was fun because I've never been through Saskatchewan or Manitoba or Northern Ontario. ...if I were to do it again though, I'd fall asleep through Saskatchewan...(man it's a boring stretch of flat flat flat flat flat roads).

I sort of wished though there were more stops along the way between Sault Ste Marie and Sudbury though. That's a very interesting drive.

(and btw, I've been in Toronto for about 2.5 months now I just didn't have my car yet).

Now you guys have another blue 335 on your streets. ...which is pretty boring given the R8's and Ferrari's and 911's I've seen around downtown here.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2010, 12:32 PM   #4
alanchan
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 323i

W.O.W.
lots of mileage
323i, Arctic metallic , Cream beige leatherette interior , Titanium matt trim , Premium , Auto , 18" style 189 sport wheels , 335i bumper + kidney grills, CF pillars, Chrome window trim package , LCI halogen.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2010, 01:30 PM   #5
Bimmer Al
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 335xi Coupe MSport, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M View Post
So I finally drove across Canada (from Edmonton to Toronto). Did it in 2.5 days.

This is how I ended up dividing up the drive:
http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=d&sourc...03&ie=UTF8&z=5

Overnight in Regina and Thunder Bay. The others I took 15 minute stops (each stop has a Shell haha).

And despite all the precautions, I still lost the HPFP on the Sudbury to Toronto leg (then again I expected it since I got it fixed last and that was before the new part was available. At least I got an appointment to bring in the car this Thursday where I'm just going to tell them to replace the HPFP with the newer part and I'm thinking this has something to do with the fuel injector as well - basically car shakes a lot due to a cylinder misfire but doesn't go into limp mode. Second >3 hr trip I've taken with the car and the second time the problem has come up. But not a big issue since at least I know what they need to fix).

Anyway I've got photos of the car in different places of Canada. I'll post them up when I get a chance to download them off the camera.

And btw, to those who said I should drive, yeah that was totally worth it. Painfully boring in some stretches (anything through Saskatchewan) but to say that I did it is worth it. Next time I'm taking more than 2.5 days though because 17 hrs of driving a day isn't easy.
How many Kms was your trip? How was gas mileage? and where can you drive a little more aggressively (like in Saskatchewan)
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2010, 02:21 PM   #6
Andy M
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer Al View Post
How many Kms was your trip? How was gas mileage? and where can you drive a little more aggressively (like in Saskatchewan)
In total it was around 3500 km since it includes driving around each stop to get nearest Shell for V-Power (basically programmed the iDrive to take me from Shell to Shell). It was a bit more for me since I ended up detouring off Hwy 400 because it was jammed up all the way to Barrie. However, that was ok because I need to take the Gardiner home and I could bypass it with the 427.

I actually drove this as fuel efficient as possible while still getting there at a decent time (i.e. not one of the fastest cars on the road). For Alberta, the TCH is twinned and 110 is the speed limit. I set my cruise to 125 there (10% over the limit + 5 kmph for the spedometer). As soon as you cross into Manitoba, the limit goes down to 100 kmph so I went down to 115 kmph. Sections of Ontario are 90 kmph so I went to 105 kmph cruising speed. By doing that, I was able to get an average 7.7 L/100 km as my fuel economy. I even kept the sunroof and windows closed since I found my fuel economy would jump up slightly when they were open. Range for a full tank of gas on the 335 was around 700 km. In Northern Ontario, I would actually disengage the cruise on the downhills and then reengage it on the uphills since cruise will automatically downshift to maintain the speed. So instead of getting say 9 km/100 km (because of the RPM's will be high), you'll get a fuel economy of 0 L/100.

Yeah don't drive aggressively in Saskatchewan. I didn't notice a lot of cops there but my friend told me they got a really expensive ticket there when they did Edmonton Winnipeg. It was $300 for 30 km over. Actually to be honest, I think you can drive the most aggressive after Sudbury to Toronto. For the entire trip, most cars were going around the same speed that I was going...until I passed Sudbury. Suddenly everyone is going 30+ over the limit. And my reasoning for going easy and using cruise control at a decent speed is that while I might be slower, at least I won't waste time gassing up at that many stops. Plus I had a big scare as a deer ran in front of the car in Saskatchewan. In all honesty, for a trip like this, I wouldn't drive too aggressively since after 17 hrs of driving, fatigue will start making an impact. That's why the rests. Also I avoided all driving in the dark since it's much more tiresome then. That's why I woke up at 4:30 am so I can be out as soon as there's sunlight. Sleep at 10 pm as soon as it gets dark.

It was an experience but I'm completely exhausted today.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2010, 02:24 PM   #7
bugsandry
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW e92 328xi

Very nice....I wish I had the time to do it
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2010, 02:45 PM   #8
goldn
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 E91 328i xDrive 6MT

i once drove from Toronto to Whistler.
the best parts were around the great lakes and when i hit BC.
otherwise, its pretty boring, except for the salt flats!
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2010, 02:48 PM   #9
montreal red
chris
Canada
Rep
Drives: White Boat

wow crazy stuff! i'd love to do the same thing one day. but i would do it by going across the USA instead. think that would be more interesting.

Current: 2013 F10 M5 & 2016 Mini JCW
2013 GLK350 (gone), 997.1 GT3RS (gone), 2009 WRX STI (gone), e92 M3 (gone)
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2010, 03:22 PM   #10
MMachines
BMW Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3, 2006 4Runner

That's quite a trip!

I've done it across the US a few times, there are some interesting parts for sure, but some states can be hours of boredom.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2010, 03:34 PM   #11
perfectg
I pwn u
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 Audi Q5

Garage List
2008 335i  [0.00]
sweet
      07-07-2010, 08:27 PM   #12
cfabluenose
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 328i

If you have time pull onto a side road between the wheat fields in Saskatchewan. Then stand outside the car and watch and listen to the wind blowing through the wheat. It's an incredibly restful and relaxing sound and looking at the fields and sky stretching out for hundreds of km's is amazing. Mind you with the long days in the car, you might not want to be too relaxed.

2009 328i
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2010, 11:06 PM   #13
Andy M
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfabluenose View Post
If you have time pull onto a side road between the wheat fields in Saskatchewan. Then stand outside the car and watch and listen to the wind blowing through the wheat. It's an incredibly restful and relaxing sound and looking at the fields and sky stretching out for hundreds of km's is amazing. Mind you with the long days in the car, you might not want to be too relaxed.

I used to do that all the time for work.

Would have to go to random Alberta places because that's where they build bridges...so long highway drives are almost second nature for me (though usually 4 hrs was the most I'd do).

Yeah I agree, it's amazing to just stop during a road trip and check out the scenery anywhere. I did that to take the photos (which I'll try to get around to uploading) and I don't regret that at all.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2010, 07:12 PM   #14
Andy M
Canada
Rep

Edited original post for photos!
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2010, 09:26 PM   #15
Bimmer Al
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 335xi Coupe MSport, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M View Post
In total it was around 3500 km since it includes driving around each stop to get nearest Shell for V-Power (basically programmed the iDrive to take me from Shell to Shell). It was a bit more for me since I ended up detouring off Hwy 400 because it was jammed up all the way to Barrie. However, that was ok because I need to take the Gardiner home and I could bypass it with the 427.

I actually drove this as fuel efficient as possible while still getting there at a decent time (i.e. not one of the fastest cars on the road). For Alberta, the TCH is twinned and 110 is the speed limit. I set my cruise to 125 there (10% over the limit + 5 kmph for the spedometer). As soon as you cross into Manitoba, the limit goes down to 100 kmph so I went down to 115 kmph. Sections of Ontario are 90 kmph so I went to 105 kmph cruising speed. By doing that, I was able to get an average 7.7 L/100 km as my fuel economy. I even kept the sunroof and windows closed since I found my fuel economy would jump up slightly when they were open. Range for a full tank of gas on the 335 was around 700 km. In Northern Ontario, I would actually disengage the cruise on the downhills and then reengage it on the uphills since cruise will automatically downshift to maintain the speed. So instead of getting say 9 km/100 km (because of the RPM's will be high), you'll get a fuel economy of 0 L/100.

Yeah don't drive aggressively in Saskatchewan. I didn't notice a lot of cops there but my friend told me they got a really expensive ticket there when they did Edmonton Winnipeg. It was $300 for 30 km over. Actually to be honest, I think you can drive the most aggressive after Sudbury to Toronto. For the entire trip, most cars were going around the same speed that I was going...until I passed Sudbury. Suddenly everyone is going 30+ over the limit. And my reasoning for going easy and using cruise control at a decent speed is that while I might be slower, at least I won't waste time gassing up at that many stops. Plus I had a big scare as a deer ran in front of the car in Saskatchewan. In all honesty, for a trip like this, I wouldn't drive too aggressively since after 17 hrs of driving, fatigue will start making an impact. That's why the rests. Also I avoided all driving in the dark since it's much more tiresome then. That's why I woke up at 4:30 am so I can be out as soon as there's sunlight. Sleep at 10 pm as soon as it gets dark.

It was an experience but I'm completely exhausted today.
Nice write up!
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2010, 03:06 PM   #16
homieG
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: F

that is awesome man. i've driven down to texas but never across canada. might do a road trip to the east coast end of this summer may be! road trips are always fun! especially when u drive a BMW
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2010, 08:39 PM   #17
aspiring335
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 G05 40i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Congrats on doing the drive. I did the drive from Toronto to Calgary, following an identical route (well, from Regina onwards). Trust me, I'm sure it was better going East. Going West you do the Saskatchewan bit right at the end, by which time you're already kind of sick of driving. I thought I was going to go insane, and I had a cranky pregnant wife in the passenger seat...

I've done the Calgary to Vancouver drive on many occasions (my best time was about 8 hours 15 mins). It is a great trip; fantastic scenery virtually the entire way..
      07-10-2010, 09:10 PM   #18
kyo21
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: Technical

That's awesome! I'm going to be driving from Vancouver to Big Rapids, in Michigan, (around august) to go to school. This write-up is a good heads up for me!

Andy M, if you ever drop by vancouver I can get you a free 50point inspection before you take long drive home. Even some washer fluid to get rid of the bugs you kill on the way.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2010, 04:10 PM   #19
BavFan_08
Dreamer
Canada
Rep
Drives: '12 E88 6MT | Ret '08 E90 335i

nice trip!!!!! Better get that front plate installed if you're moving permanently
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2010, 08:47 PM   #20
Andy M
Canada
Rep

kyo, thanks for the offer. Good luck on your trip too. I found it easiest to start early when the sun is just rising. Once that sun sets, it gets really tiring fast.

BavFan, I've already got my front plate ready to mount. I've got neodymium magnets mounted on the inside of my bumper using automotive bumper repair epoxy and to hold the plate in place, I've got a plate holder. No drilling required. A little bit of removable caulking will keep it in place so I don't have my plates stolen or accidentally falling off but all I need now is just to get my Ontario plates. (which I'm going to try to hold off for as long as possible...need to contact Ontario MoT tomorrow to find out. I've got my Ontario license already since I needed it for the Zip cars)
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2010, 12:50 PM   #21
Vacek
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 X3

Accross Canada? You went half way ...

Beyond Toronto is another 22 hours of driving east ... to the rest of Canada Some of the prettiest country in the country.

Either way, I'm sure it was a great trip. Next time, come this way too then you can truly say you drove across Canada
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2010, 02:11 PM   #22
MMOTION
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: like you'll never drive again

Congrats on the long drive! I don't think i could have accomplished driving halfway across Canada, driving to Buffalo/Niagara which is only a 2-3hr drive is already a mission for me. lol
Appreciate 0