E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Damage Approximation? Anyone want to take a guess?

05-13-2012, 12:33 AM   #23
mashimarho
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: E92 M3 & F80 M3 & G82 M4

Garage List
Honestly, I was thinking $450 for new M-tech rep bumper + $90 black kidney grills + +1000 for M3 rep hood + paint on all of those..
      05-13-2012, 03:22 AM   #24
shata
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330i 6MT-ZPP/ZSP/ZCW

Next time when your at dealer have your SA do paint depth check on the painted/repaired surfaces. BMW Spec is 3.5-4mills on paint thickness to metal/plastic. Just kind of curious how thick paint is on your fix.

Honestly I can believe they wanted 5.5k for that repair at bmw, But I tell you one thing...My car has 2 panels that are repainted which was done at bmw collision and they did a amazing job for previous owner. Paint is PERFECTLY matched absolutely factory perfect. Only reason I found out those 2 areas where repainted is SA took paint gauge to car and one front fender and one rear fender where 5.5-6mills he looked at paper work on car from bmw and said it was painted at bmw collision center.

If you want it done right...bmw collision is where its at. (Not saying yours wasnt done good, just stating my experience.)
      05-13-2012, 08:45 AM   #25
MikesBMW
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Garage List
2019 BMW X3 M40i  [0.00]
2017 BMW X1  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mashimarho View Post
Honestly, I was thinking $450 for new M-tech rep bumper + $90 black kidney grills + +1000 for M3 rep hood + paint on all of those..
yea except the cheapest M Tech bumper i could find that actually included the duct work, mounting stuff, etc.. thats needed for a good fit was around $1000, so add a new hood even stock 500 + 75 for grilles, and then another 700 for paint and install, thats up to $2275. couldn't justify the extra cost
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2012, 08:49 AM   #26
MikesBMW
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Garage List
2019 BMW X3 M40i  [0.00]
2017 BMW X1  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shata View Post
Next time when your at dealer have your SA do paint depth check on the painted/repaired surfaces. BMW Spec is 3.5-4mills on paint thickness to metal/plastic. Just kind of curious how thick paint is on your fix.

Honestly I can believe they wanted 5.5k for that repair at bmw, But I tell you one thing...My car has 2 panels that are repainted which was done at bmw collision and they did a amazing job for previous owner. Paint is PERFECTLY matched absolutely factory perfect. Only reason I found out those 2 areas where repainted is SA took paint gauge to car and one front fender and one rear fender where 5.5-6mills he looked at paper work on car from bmw and said it was painted at bmw collision center.

If you want it done right...bmw collision is where its at. (Not saying yours wasnt done good, just stating my experience.)

this is the place that did the repair http://www.hitechautobodynj.com/

they had bmws, mercs, porches, and even a lambo in there when I dropped my car off, definitely one of the nicest shops i've been too

the 5.5k quote from bmw collision center included repainting of what seemed to be almost every panel just so that the paint would match the whole way around.... kind of unnecessary if you ask me

the shop i went to only painted the hood and bumper, but i can't really tell that its any different of a shade than the fenders, i'll try to have that paint thickness gauged next time I'm in for service
Appreciate 0