E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Leaking headlight washers!?

04-17-2014, 04:39 PM   #1
Big_CG
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5

Leaking headlight washers!?

Hi all,

Out of nowhere, I started noticing washer fluid pooling up right under both of my headlights whenever the washer fluid tank is full. If its really low it doesn't leak.

Has anyone else experienced this and what was the fix? It looks like pulling the wheels off and wheelwell covers off is necessary, if I had an idea of some common issues like o rings or seals or hoses, I can have them available to fix while im in there.

TIA
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2014, 09:20 PM   #2
GarlicBread
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17' M4 ZCP

it can leak from a couple different places. If you have the headlight washers there is a possibility its leaking right from the hose leading to it. take the bumper off and you can see it
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2014, 09:33 PM   #3
smithf80
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 6MT

Garage List
2022 G20 330i  [9.00]
2018 F80 M3  [9.75]
Very easy to take the wheel liner or bumper off to take a look.

Mine once leaked from the hose where they connect and and then another was leaking from the washer's plastic itself.

Read: they suck.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2014, 08:33 AM   #4
Big_CG
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5

Pulled the liner off. Its leaking from the middle of the plastic washer assembly where the lower part rotates, I suspect there is an o ring in the middle that is leaking. Are these repairable? Or just get new assemblies?
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2014, 09:05 AM   #5
Welcome to NBA Jam
Is it the shoes!?
Rep
Drives: (Sold) 2011 E92 335i ZMP 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_capitan View Post
Pulled the liner off. Its leaking from the middle of the plastic washer assembly where the lower part rotates, I suspect there is an o ring in the middle that is leaking. Are these repairable? Or just get new assemblies?
You'll need a new assembly most likely. You can try to disassemble them to get to the O-Ring, but this isn't uncommon unfortunately.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2014, 10:05 AM   #6
PhaseP
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 325XI

Quote:
Its leaking from the middle of the plastic washer assembly where the lower part rotates, I suspect there is an o ring in the middle that is leaking. Are these repairable? Or just get new assemblies?
Unfortunately they are prone to this, had repetitive leaks with Audi also, and with my BMW.

I tried to disassemble it without breaking, thinking I can maybe just replace the o-ring inside. How much ever I tried, I couldn't open the washer part without breaking it. Maybe if you are very good and heat it with hot water and expand and know exactly what points to pry you can dissamble it without breaking, but then you are too good!

Even if you disassemble it without breaking, it doesn't have a regular o-ring, it has a seal similar to what is used in hydraulic jacks. I don't know the name for it. You may find the exact match, but will require looking up and searching, unless you are familiar with these seals.

So, my suggestion just buy new one and replace it.

When replacing you need to push two tabs that hold it in place with a small flat screw driver. If you have the new one at hand, it would be easier to see where exactly to push these so that it comes out of the bumper. First you remove the painted washer cover pieces on the bumper on both washer by pulling them out slowly and prying them out. Be gentle while pulling these out and pushing them back. You can cause the washers to start leak if you are not gentle there. Then remove the front sections of wheel liners on both front wheels, then the bumper cover and take it off. Then you can remove the washer part.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2014, 10:48 AM   #7
ThatRWD
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

I don't understand why the simplest things have problems on our cars
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2014, 12:46 PM   #8
PhaseP
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 325XI

Quote:
I don't understand why the simplest things have problems on our cars
Because in reality those things are not simple, nor that necessary.

These sprayers have a very strong spring in them. The pump when activated builds up a good amount of pressure in the fluid that pushes this spring up, and when it is at top, pressured fluid comes up from the spray tips. When pump stops, spring retracts it back in. The telescoping body that goes up and down is sealed to the rest of the body with a heavy duty o-ring kind of seal, because it deals with a lot of pressure during use.
Appreciate 0