Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > 18" wheels or suspension upgrade?

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

04-11-2009, 08:11 AM   #1
matts335
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335ixdrive

18" wheels or suspension upgrade?

Hi everyone. I'm relatively new to this forum, but have not formally introduced myself yet...largely becuase I'm too lazy to take pictures of my car and post them here. You all know what a stock 2009 335i xdrive looks like anyway...so i'll assume you'll give me a pass on the whole "post pics" thing.

I was interested in doing something to enhance both the handling and the appearance. My car has the base 17" wheels, with that new spoke design they have for the '09s (sorry, don't know the style #). I really don't like the way those wheels look, I don't like the big wheel gap, and I wish the handling was a little sharper. yes, i know, should have ordered a RWD sport package car. My wife wanted AWD, so that was that. I'm sure the married guys can understand.

ANYWAY, as the title indicates, my question is this:
Assuming I have to choose between getting the 18" wheels (keeping runflats...let's try not to get into that discussion) or getting some sort of suspension upgrade (Dinan stage 2 perhaps?), which do you think would be the best bang for my buck?

Would simply upgrading to 18" wheels with summer tires make much of a difference in the handling department? Would I be wasting my time getting a suspension upgrade if i'm keeping the stock 17s?

Obviously the best choice would be to do both, but I think upgrading the tires and wheels alone would cost a small fortune.
Thanks for any input.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2009, 08:27 AM   #2
Saintor
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90

I would lower it (Xi need that). 17" are no problem.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2009, 08:35 AM   #3
Craig@SupremePower
G.O.A.T.!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 GMC Yukon XL

19's and a drop...
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2009, 08:38 AM   #4
Exacc
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW E46 325i

Garage List
2004 E46 325i  [0.00]
Lower it first, and when the 17s eventually wear out, then get 18s. In terms of performance I would think, a properly set up suspension would give you a bigger improvement on handling and feel of the car. Upgrading to 18s, may not give a gain because of the added weight (if you do get heavier rims as 18s are generally heavier) but may improve if you remove the RFT and get wider section rims and wider tires with it.

But to make this a better and more detailed conversation...what exactly don't you like about the handling of your current car? Have you actually drive it close to its limits? What did you notice that you did not like?
      04-11-2009, 11:15 AM   #5
matts335
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335ixdrive

No, i've never driven anywhere near the limits, and probably never will (no track plans in the near feature). But I do like to go flying through some twisty back roads from time to time. I would prefer a slightly sharper steering response (it feels somewhat vague and isolated), and little less of a "floaty" feel you get with the xi. I'm guessing a simple lowering would improve the floating aspect.

As a point of reference, my other car is an 07 acura TL. Suprisingly, that feels noticeably sharper and has less body roll. Of course, you also feel every bump, but it's far from uncomfortable.

I see the mods decided to move this to the wheel and tire section. I though it would be a better fit it in the general section because it spans both wheels and tires as well as suspension. Not to mention it would get more traffic in the general. I guess the powers that be decided otherwise. Oh well.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2009, 12:56 PM   #6
Saintor
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90

Think twice before "upgrading" to 18".

Those tires are makes the car feel more nervous, for the good... and the ugly. You'll develop a 3rd eye for potholes, believe me.
Appreciate 0