E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > Burnout with 6AT?

02-09-2008, 10:00 AM   #23
K335i
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 E92 M3

Runflat tires have extremely stiff sidewalls and are designed to retain their structure when pressure is low (so they can "run" while they're "flat"). That's why reducing tire pressure on an RFT tire isn't going to do much to improve your grip.

In general, the reason one lowers tire pressure for the purposes of the drag strip is to induce more "give" in the tires. Less pressure in the tire means less rigidity of the sidewall, which allows the tire to flex more under load. This additional flex lets the rubber stay in place just a bit longer, and that translates to more grip.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2008, 02:47 PM   #24
E90ice
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by K335i View Post
Runflat tires have extremely stiff sidewalls and are designed to retain their structure when pressure is low (so they can "run" while they're "flat"). That's why reducing tire pressure on an RFT tire isn't going to do much to improve your grip.

In general, the reason one lowers tire pressure for the purposes of the drag strip is to induce more "give" in the tires. Less pressure in the tire means less rigidity of the sidewall, which allows the tire to flex more under load. This additional flex lets the rubber stay in place just a bit longer, and that translates to more grip.
Ah, an educated man!
      02-12-2008, 07:01 PM   #25
jrsbeamer335
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: below 1,500rpm

well heres my burn out long time ago haha

haha sweet i could actually leave it stuck in one place now
practice=perfection lol

all i do is dtc/dsc off
hold break in just a little bit
and pedal to the metal!!
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2008, 08:21 AM   #26
MontE92go DINAN
Registered
Rep
Drives: E92 335i w/ Dinan Software

Garage List
2007 335i Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewAZ View Post
Yea skip the water box and burnout, your RFT's dont need to be warmed up, the only tires that should have a warm up are drag radials. Typically street tires make the max traction when cooler since the rubber compound is not designed to make good traction when warmed up by say a burn out vs a racing or drag tire that becomes very sticky when warmed up.
When people spin their tires before they launch they are also getting the treads clear form pebbles and sand ext. You only need a quick spin to eliminate that garbage on your tires which will hurt your 60' launch. As for warming up, defiantly do not go to launch your vehicle on ice cold tires that haven't been run in a while. You will not hook up!
Appreciate 0