E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > 30FF (passenger side leak)

09-06-2023, 06:46 AM   #1
dgonz609
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i e92 N54

30FF (passenger side leak)

2008 bmw 335i: bms chargepipe, tial bov, 5.5 in vrsf intercooler, bms dci, mhd stage 2+ 93
Just recently my car is making 0 boost with the code 30FF charge air pressure too low. at first i thought it was the intercooler couplings like the last two times i’ve gotten this code but they were on secure, so i went to home depot and got two pvc caps, shoved them in the inlets with an air compressor i pressurized the system up to about 20psi and can hear a good amount of air coming from the passenger side, the vacuum line connecting to the rear wastegate is on and secure, the air sounds like it’s coming out right above the downpipes. i know that’s where the turbos are and i’m going to readjust the v band clamps this weekend. just wanted to get some opinions on what you guys think would be loose on the passenger side.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2023, 06:05 PM   #2
lowrydr310
Robot
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2007 E93 335i

Where are you pressurizing the system? If you're forcing air into the inlet openings (where the air box would attach, or DCIs would attach if you're using those) there's a chance the inlet popped off the turbo. That wouldn't be the cause of a boost leak; might have just been a result of pressuring the system that way.

Usually the 30FF is a big boost leak which you should be able to see without having to pressurize the system.

I hate to say this again since 30FF could be caused by any number of things, but inspect your vacuum lines and test your boost control solenoids. Also check your wastegate actuators. It's not common but there are a few posts here where the actuator rod popped off the wastegate arm due to a missing clip.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2023, 11:52 AM   #3
dgonz609
Rep

UPDATE: replaced the broken OEM rear inlet with the VRSF silicone inlet. pressure tested the car through the intakes and the hissing stopped. still car will not go past 0.0lbs psi. and still getting 30FF (charge-air pressure too low). i’ve heard of the secondary cats being clogged but would that be causing this issue? my last resort is the turbos and i want to be 100% certain it’s that before i replace them and it’s not the issue. any thoughts and info would be very appreciated. thank you in advance.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2023, 06:52 AM   #4
dgonz609
Rep

UPDATE PT2: (30FF Charge air pressure too low) it turns out the front turbo was seized. the rear turbine spins by hand, front one does not. will be replacing them as well as the radiator and engine mount and will update if that finally solves the issue.
Appreciate 0