E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Holiday suggestions please

02-01-2013, 03:50 PM   #23
Sir_Pigley
Captain
Rep
Drives: 640d GC / 420i XDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by briers View Post
Mrs is nagging me to book something for summer so i need to find something pretty quickly

I've left it up to her past few years and the last hotel we went to i was shitting for days as was my mate who bought his family but he had it worse.

Wishing to avoid that and the horrible multi-coloured decor and crappy aircon i want to pick somewhere nice.

Problem is i'm not good on planes. Not a fear, just very sensitive inner ear so i'm spending the entire journey feeling like i'm going to chuck my breakfast over the passenger in-front. Doc can't help and i've tried several things. To be honest it's quite annoying really as so many places i want to travel to.

So i normally set myself a 2:30hr flight time goal. We normally go spain, italy, corsica, ibiza, sardinia and furthest i've been is Malta which i think was around 3hrs or so.

Where ever we go can't be too far, ideally hotel has to be really nice, modern or character rooms, excellent food which is very important, near or on the beach and allows kids. Could anyone suggest something for 2 adults, 2 kids that might fit this criteria?

Thanks
It really depends a lot on budget and how old your kids are, but here are some specific recommendations based upon MY criteria which are:

1) Good food, but has to be self service buffet: because we don't want to sit around at the table with two young boys getting impatient while they wait for food
2) An apartment hotel - so the room is a mini apartment with space to sit and a ideally separate bedroom for the kids rather than converting the lounge sofas
3) Excellent pool
4) Plenty of activities should the kids want to take part
5) Near a town for excusrsions, but quiet in itself
6) Close to a safe beach
7) Clean
8) Daily maid service so the wife has absolutely nothing to do in terms of tidying and cleaning (she's a teacher and works every weekday night until about 10:30 doing lesson preparation and marking)
9) Budget of about £4k - £5k total including flights and full board or fully inclusive

On that basis we have had some good experience with Iberostar Hotels, specifically:

1) Iberostar Albufera Park
2) Iberostar Cala Barca (pools not the best but OK) a bit cheaper than above
3) Royal Son Bou Family Club, Menorca

(3) is not an Iberostar, but on the experience elsewhere I would have no problem going to any other Iberostar as the standards seem very high.

All of those three hotels are incredibly clean and well organised.

If these suit PM me if you want more info.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 04:34 PM   #24
briers
Ben
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla p85d

Brilliant thats almost exactly my requirements too

Much appreciated i will take a look at these hotels

I didnt mention the mini apartment because i thought it would narrow it down too much but i do prefer being separated from the cattle. Nothing worse than loud germans or italians smoking in their rooms.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 04:41 PM   #25
briers
Ben
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla p85d

Just looked at Albufera Park

I chose the family room with sea view all inclusive. Do you remember if these are like little huts in the grounds or are they part of the main hotel building?

Also the meal plan says room only, do you know what this means?
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 05:24 PM   #26
m@rk
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 520D SE

Garage List
Another vote here for SW France. We are going back again this year for the 5th time.

We did try driving up to The Netherlands last year for a change but couldn't help wishing we had gone down to France again instead.
      02-01-2013, 05:32 PM   #27
Sir_Pigley
Captain
Rep
Drives: 640d GC / 420i XDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by briers View Post
Just looked at Albufera Park

I chose the family room with sea view all inclusive. Do you remember if these are like little huts in the grounds or are they part of the main hotel building?

Also the meal plan says room only, do you know what this means?
You would be able to choose room only (no food included), B&B, half board or fully inclusive I suspect.

If you want to go fully inclusive do so now, don't upgrade when you get there its much more expensive.

There are no huts, all accomodation is in the main buildings.

If you PM me your email address I will share a Photobox photobook I created when we went there with the extended family. It will give you an impression of the place.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2013, 06:53 AM   #28
ed330D
Private First Class
France
Rep
Drives: E92 330D

I hope you don't mind my bringing a sobering view to this thread: the Euro/Pound exchange rate.

Last summer the interbank rate was approximately 1.28€ to the pound; tourist rates are obviously lower. The smart money believes the Euro zones serious troubles are sorted, but the Uk is still deep in the mire, and things look likely to get worse. So, the current exchange rate is 1.15€/£1 and falling.

So if you intend to holiday in the Euro zone this year, it may pay to book sooner rather than later. However, don't blame me if the trend reverses - it's all speculation.

Regarding SW France, yes, you can get there in a day, just be aware it's a long, and relatively expensive haul: about 9-10 hours from Calais to Bezier, excluding stops; and allow at least 180€ (each way) for fuel and tolls.

Wherever you chose, have a good holiday.
Appreciate 0